Mac Applications forum

General discussion

iPhoto 09 keeps importing same photo over and over again

by bigglesmd / January 21, 2011 9:12 AM PST

Would appreciate any help with this one..

Whenever I open up iPhoto ('09) for the last several weeks, it automatically says its importing one particular photo (from Nov '09). Just this one photo, but it doesn't matter whether my iPhone is connected, a camera or even if I open iPhoto on its own...every single time, this one photo is always imported (from somewhere!) without any prompting on my part.
I sometimes get a message that says
"A photo has been found in the iPhoto library that was not imported. Would you like to import it".

If I say "no", I get "The photo has been placed in the folder Users/ etc/etc/iPhoto Library recovered photos" ...but it still imports it to my main iPhoto library in any case!

I have about 50 copies of this photo in my iPhoto library now and goodness knows how many recovered photos files! I've tried deleting them all of course, but it still appears (from somewhere) the next time iPhoto opens.

So, before this drives me completely crazy, I would be really grateful if anyone tell me what's going on and how I fix it? Thanks!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPhoto 09 keeps importing same photo over and over again
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPhoto 09 keeps importing same photo over and over again
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by Old_Toad / January 28, 2011 6:46 AM PST

Open your iPhoto Library package by Control-clicking on it and selecting "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu. Look for a folder titled "Importing" or "Import" (NOT Auto Import") and see if it has any photos in it. If it does move it to the Desktop (do not move or rename any other folder/file while in there). Launch iPhoto and the message should be gone.

Check that folder to see if the photos are any you don't have in the library or want. If not, then delete. If so, import again.

Collapse -
by bigglesmd / February 7, 2011 5:36 AM PST

Thanks for your reply Old_Toad. This obviously foxed a lot of people as yours was the only response from three different forums!

You were almost right! The problem was in fact in the Auto import folder. For some reason my picture was sitting in there and was imported every time. I had to phone Apple support in the end and once I'd finished they uncovered a huge problem with my overall permissions status so I had to create a new user profile in the end. whether this was anything to do with the iPhoto problem I'm not sure. Anyway,..thanks for taking the trouble to respond!

Collapse -
Auto import
by Old_Toad / June 11, 2012 8:37 AM PDT

That is the first time I've heard of the Auto Import folder not deleting the file(s) after they were imported into the library. The most common problem is the folder I referred to in my first post. Anyway glad you got the issue taken care of.

Collapse -
My problem was solved.
by achasva / February 2, 2012 8:28 AM PST

Thanks a lot your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.