Phones forum

General discussion

iPhone4 switcharoo. Can I switch sim cards?

by citrusjohn / June 23, 2010 4:24 AM PDT

Hello all,
There are two cell phones on my plan. I have the iPhone 3G, and my dad has some Razr phone. I would be eligible to upgrade to the new iPhone4 right now, but my iPhone was stolen last year, which means I had to reorder a new one for $300 last year. So I won't be eligible for a full iPhone upgrade until early 2012. My dad is ready for a full upgrade next week. Could he order the new iPhone 4, and then we switch sim cards? I would take the SIM card out of my iPhone, and put it in the new iPhone4, and he would take his sim card and put it back into his original phone, or take my iPhone 3G.
Would this work?
Thank you everyone for your help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPhone4 switcharoo. Can I switch sim cards?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPhone4 switcharoo. Can I switch sim cards?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 23, 2010 5:16 AM PDT

You can use an available upgrade on your Dad's phone to allow you to upgrade your phone. Just go to the store with him (assuming he is the account holder) and let them know up front. Keep in mind that the iPhone 4 uses a micro SIM card which is incompatible w/ older SIM card slorts (unless you make or purchase an adapter for it to work in an older phone). Technologically, the micro SIM is no different, it is just smaller than a regular SIM.

Collapse -
by citrusjohn / June 23, 2010 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: suggestion

Thanks for the reply.
So in other words, the upgrade can be transferred from my dads phone to my phone?

Collapse -
Gift upgrade
by Pepe7 / June 23, 2010 6:15 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

Yes, your dad can 'gift' his upgrade eligibility on his line. I did that for my wife to get her iPhone 4. (It looks like I'll be getting an unlocked/unbranded handset when the time comes since it moves my eligibility date back pretty far ;).

Right now keep in mind ATT is in the middle of a massive cluster*** regarding the 4 rollout, esp. regarding upgrades. Some retail locations may have inventory problems AFAIK for walk-in folks since they pre-sold so many already. Insane.

Collapse -
Really... subject for every post?
by citrusjohn / June 23, 2010 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Gift upgrade

Thanks for your reply.
I just looked and my dads line won't be ready for an upgrade til the 19th of July. Isn't there some sort of Apple deal that allows you to upgrade 6 months early if you meet a certain criteria. What is that criteria? Do I meet it? And too be honest, the apple store will probably be out of Iphone 4's til' the end of next month anyway, so it doesn't really matter if I can upgrade early, but I would still like to know.

Collapse -
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 23, 2010 7:25 AM PDT

Unfortunately, there is no such thing as an early upgrade when it comes to an iPhone (short of a high level manager's approval). Neither Apple or At&t (customer service or store rep) is authorized to allow any exception for iPhones. At one time, I was on an audit team who researched mobile upgrade orders that were processed by customer service. Even when exceptions are made (as I described) it can be a lengthy process. Don't expect that it will happen at the local level.

Collapse -
One exception
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 23, 2010 7:27 AM PDT

I forgot to mention that At&t was sllowing current customers w/ a pending contract that ends in 2010 to allow early upgrade to the iPhone 4. It might require you to already have purchased an iPhone previously on contract.

Collapse -
by citrusjohn / June 23, 2010 7:44 AM PDT
In reply to: One exception

Alright guys, thanks a lot for your help. I now know I can get a new iPhone without paying $600 for one.
Thanks again - John

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.