Phones forum

Question

iPhone or Samsung S3

by mhousercascio / September 20, 2012 4:09 AM PDT

To start out I have had an iPhone since the first one came out. I now have the 4. I am thinking of getting a GalaxyS3 but have a few questions:

1. How can I connect the phone to the much of iPhone docs I have stereo, car, Yamaha iPhone stereo doc?

2. What about My paid for Apps in iTunes? Do I just for get about those?

3. Can I still auto upload my photos to MS SkyDrive or Google Plus?

4. I keep hearing there is a virus/malware for Android, is this something to worry about? Do I need an AV program

5. Is there crapware I need to uninstall like there is when I buy a PC?

Thanks,

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPhone or Samsung S3
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPhone or Samsung S3
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Answers
by Pepe7 / September 20, 2012 5:32 AM PDT
In reply to: iPhone or Samsung S3

1) If your stereo, car stereo and Yamaha stereo dock are proprietary, i.e. have dock connectors/interfaces for iPhone, you would have to acquire different equipment. There may be a few exceptions if your equipment also handles USB connections. I've seen a couple decks where you could at least charge via USB but not play back music ,etc. YMMV.

2) Correct. Samsung runs Android so does not work with iTunes/App store.

3) Yes, if there are sufficient Android apps written for your device. Look in the Android marketplace.

4) I've yet to have to deal with one personally, but they're out there. I don't feel most users need an AV program though. YMMV.

5) Not necessarily, depending on what problems you have (or don't have) with the stock handset & apps/features that come preloaded. Keep in mind that some cannot be removed since they may be part of a carrier ROM. I like to buy unlocked handsets if this ever becomes an issue. $$$.

Collapse -
iTunes support avail for Samsung G3 (and Note 2)
by rrmram / September 22, 2012 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Answers

I have an iPhone GS3 that needs replacing and have been looking at the Samsungs as replacements. I haven't verified this yet (no Samsung to try it on) but I have found apps and discussions that claim to enable sync'ing Samsungs using iTunes. For someone interested in the S3 or Note 2, it's something to check out.

Collapse -
Answer
Hard to differentiate!
by Yousuf_khalid / September 20, 2012 6:35 PM PDT

See iphone has its own market demand and S3 has its own....lastly its an individual verdict that which one is the way to go for?
For your concern i would tells you that iphone and S3 both can do all the things you are looking for, but iphone is short handed in terms of connectivity with other devices whereas S3 don't. Hence, considering this fact finalize your decision.

Collapse -
Answer
iphone vs samsung s3
by loveymiller / September 20, 2012 11:09 PM PDT

first, dont buy samsung s3, go ahead with iphone 5s because iphone 5s is really made for humans. first full sensar based technologyused in iphone 5s.

anyways
dont worry about malware and spywares. The samsungs3 defined them itself.

Collapse -
Worthless waste of bytes
by rrmram / October 2, 2012 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: iphone vs samsung s3

This is one of the most worthless, self-serving, biased responses I've seen in a long time.

Collapse -
Answer
My advice...
by birdmantd Forum moderator / September 22, 2012 3:45 AM PDT

I have both an Android device and an Apple iPhone on my account. I think an Android device is the better choice. This is only my opinion and I won't try to convince anyone otherwise. Both devices have benefits and drawbacks, but I wouldn't say that either type is "superior" to the other. I suggest that the OP talk to friends and relatives for more opinions. Good luck, OP..

Collapse -
Answer
Here we've had both
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2012 4:48 AM PDT

And since I grew up when the best PC was the TRS-80 the fiddliness of Android is fine by me. The iPhone feels more polished but the openness of Android even with it's issues means I went that way.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.