The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

iPhone GPS over Garmin?

by shesaidshehad1 / January 22, 2009 3:07 AM PST

I want to get GPS and I was thinking about a Garmin Nuvi. However, I am also thinking about getting an iPhone, which I understand has a good GPS feature. It might be a hassle to use the iPhone in the car, but it would save me the cost of a Garmin.

Is the iPhone GPS any good as a mobile GPS, or does the Garmin have a lot more features and would be better for what I need it for?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPhone GPS over Garmin?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPhone GPS over Garmin?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Iphone GPS
by mcguire29483 / January 26, 2009 5:44 AM PST

The Iphone GPS does a decent job of providing directions (with google maps) and tracks your current location on the selected route or map. You need a lot of practice to fine-tune its use. You can use the GPS function while walking or riding. The weakness is the inaccuracy of Google maps in some areas. The beauty of the Iphone is the other GPS features located in the Iphone APP store. I use mine as GPS yardage indicator on my and other golf courses. I also use a car finder, trail marker and business locator (based on my GPS location) such as hotels, restaurants and etc.. I don't know if other GPS devices, such as Garmin, have this versatility.

Collapse -
Re: iPhone GPS
by shesaidshehad1 / February 9, 2009 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: Iphone GPS

That's really cool that you can use it on the golf course. I actually ended up buying my boyfriend the iPhone. He is really in to golf, so he might find that pretty useful. Thanks again!

Collapse -
iPhone GPS over Garmin?
by phowardg / November 7, 2011 5:36 AM PST

The Garmin Nuvi will likely provide the better experience in gps golf devices versus the Iphone app and will likely provide more accurate information. However if you have a free app, you cannot beat free.

Collapse -
phone GPS
by TheBryantFamilyChronicles / November 17, 2011 11:53 AM PST

I don't have an iPhone, but do have a smartphone with GPS. Once there is a GPS lock, the phone works well. I also like the traffic reports and accident identification. I saved hours once because my phone GPS system routed me around an accident that had a 5 mile backup. You can get traffic notification with the Garmin, but its another $50 add-on.

The other nice thing about the GPS in your phone is what it adds to your pictures. WIth each picture you take, the geolocation (latitude and longitude) is saved. This information can be read by you Windows or Mac PC's. This is great for documenting your trip!

So even if an iPhone is too expensive for you, most lower cost smartphones will have the same features. Garmin is great, but the option you listed here is a good one.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.