iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

General discussion

iPhone app for trekking and generic GPS tracker

by phy73 / October 30, 2009 5:06 AM PDT

can somebody give me directions on best iPhone apps to use with outdoor sports?
it can be nice that I can import/export tracks, there are many online free services that just archive mountain tracks, and I like also to have graphs on the fly, like speed or altitude graps...
I've tried Easytrails GPS (http://www.easytrailsgps.com), and seems the best, but seems doesn't yet have waypoints (I cannot save my preferred points)...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPhone app for trekking and generic GPS tracker
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPhone app for trekking and generic GPS tracker
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
you've already found the best
by giulio1973 / October 30, 2009 5:16 AM PDT

Hi phy,
well, I think you've already identified the best.
I tried almost all of them, many are very simple and useless (Runkeeper); some have more features, but are very complex and done in a very non-professional way (MotionX, in spite of all the publicity and image that they are creating!), and a lot of them are using a lot of battery, or crashes in a random way (with MotionX Sport, my last top-scored, I lost 8 trails... many more crashes than in the old version!!!). Then few months ago I tried this well supported EasyTrails GPS... simply amazing! I had a question about a new feature I liked, and they implemented it in 2 weeks! go for it, expecially if you're in holiday and you cannot just "test another" and then lose tracks!

Collapse -
today I found the quickest support team...
by phy73 / October 31, 2009 10:09 AM PDT

thanx giulio!
I was also searching here and there, to see the best... I agree, some are just making a lot of publicity, and many are really done by children, not serious teams... anyway, today I was amazed, I sent an email to the ET support, and today (saturday!) one of the developer replied me that they are already taking care of waypoints, seems they are testing them, and will be published soon!
Never, NEVER got such a quick reply from a software dev team!

Collapse -
Garmin/Magellan or EasyTrails, no other option
by phy73 / November 3, 2009 7:59 PM PST

okay, seems that in reality to get something better in precision I've to buy a Garmin or a Magellan... I've seen, and it's giving 50m +/- and this is not so accurate if you need accurate altitude... iPhone has this problem, grrrrrr!

anyway, I love this small app, I'll stay with it, I've tried many others, but for me it's the best!

Collapse -
Garmin/Magellan or iPhone
by giulio1973 / November 10, 2009 3:31 AM PST

...for me, stay with iPhone!

it's less precise, it's not correct at the cm...
but you have it always in your pocket, and so you have it in every situations: when you leave the car in an unknown city, to the 10min walk in a beautiful valley that you want to save...
have you seen that this week there are rumours that says that the 2.5 version with direct export to everytrail.com is available? do you think you can do it with a Garmin, on the way back home...?

Collapse -
easytrails are obsolete
by 76ohm / November 6, 2011 3:08 PM PST

there are 3 suggestions. MotionGPX for professionals, Everytrail for normal user, HikeMateGPS for advanced user or bloger.
all of them has the features you mentioned basically and well updated periodically.
It's really dizzy to choose one apps for your purpose as a lot of apps are now on sale.

I suggest Hikemategps,highly versatile apps for hiking and trekking.
it's easy to use and it supports wide range of posting features,
mash-up, GPX export/import func.
later time, you must want to buy this app:)

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.