iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Resolved Question

iPhone 5 What did my grandson do to it?

by Marylou431 / July 17, 2013 2:03 AM PDT

Some months ago I had an alert on my phone to update the OS to 6. something or other. I just ignored it for a while, then my grandson got hold of it and asked me if I wanted him to update it for me. I said yes, as long as you back it up first.

So now in trying to figure out how some of the new things work, I find that instead of OS 6...., I now have OS 7, which is supposedly for developers only at this stage, so how did he get it on my phone??

And could this be why it loses a charge after a couple of hours? How do I fix this?

Marylou431 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPhone 5 What did my grandson do to it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPhone 5 What did my grandson do to it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Marylou431

Collapse -
Best advice
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 17, 2013 2:23 AM PDT

You could always due a system restore to the phone to get rid of iOS 7 and install version 6. I doubt that your grandson used the standard system update feature.

Collapse -
(NT) Does this mean he "jailbroke" it?
by Marylou431 / July 17, 2013 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Best advice
Collapse -
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 17, 2013 5:14 AM PDT

While I can't say for certain. It might explain how he download iOS 7 to the iPhone. A system restore would "un-jailbreak" the phone and restore it to the the factory settings as well as the most current iOS (not a developer's edition) of the iOS. Hope that is helpful..

Collapse -
by Marylou431 / July 17, 2013 7:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe

One more question if you don't mind. If I do a restore from the last backup before he did this, will the pictures I've taken between then and now still be there?

Collapse -
I think so....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 17, 2013 11:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

.....but I would wait on other iPhone users to chime in.

Collapse -
They should be, however
by Pepe7 / July 18, 2013 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

...with any backup, there are sometimes problems. YMMV. That's why you should always backup important data in multiple places. With our iPhones, I have been using Dropbox for photos/videos, and also iCloud, which works well too. Lots of other solutions for this, luckily.

Collapse -
Thank you all.
by Marylou431 / July 18, 2013 12:58 AM PDT

Will do the belt and suspenders back up.

Collapse -
Best wishes
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you all.

Hope the advice offered was helpful to you. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) It was! Thanks!
by Marylou431 / July 18, 2013 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Best wishes
Collapse -
How to install version 6.1
by eedzdgpifm / July 22, 2013 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Best advice

Do you know how to install version 6.1?

Collapse -
iOS 6
by acruznet88 / July 22, 2013 9:18 AM PDT

I'm part of the Apple Developer program and this issue can be solved.

In order to get iOS 7 your need to be register as Apple Developer which is 99.00 a year. Another option is downloading the iOS 7 from another source and webpages with the Software. In this case since the iOS 7 is already on the phone, it will be a little difficult to go back because it take more than just restoring the phone. Restoring the phone is not going to cut it. You need to find the iOS 6 on any website source or from Apple Developer Center if you have access to it. The phone backup itself if you have a Cloud account with the ability to do so or the backup is on the computer with iTunes. Once you have the iOS 6 downloaded, open iTunes, hold "option" button for Mac or "Shift" for Windows. That would give you the ability to pick iOS6 before restoration. If it give you an error, go ahead and restore the phone, in this case look at the screen and when you see the iTunes logo and the USB cable, unplug the cable. This will put the phone on standby, plug the cable back and do the "option" again and restore with iOS 6. That should take your phone to the way it was before and it would ask for your iTunes password etc. including adding your backup from computer or Cloud account. I hope this help

Collapse -
by Marylou431 / July 22, 2013 1:06 PM PDT
In reply to: iOS 6

This appears to be out of my comfort range. If I just keep it as it is now with the developer's version, would I be able to update it with the general release version of iOS 7 when it comes out?

Collapse -
More trouble now.
by Marylou431 / July 24, 2013 3:53 AM PDT

acruz88, I decided to give your suggestion a try, mainly because this morning when I tried to use my phone, I got this message:
Activation Error, This device is not registered as part of the iPhone Developement Program...Please register at...."

I can't get beyond that screen except to choose a wifi network. I've turned it off, on, no luck. Big brother is indeed watching.

So I downloaded the iOS 6.1.4, hooked up to iTunes, held the shift key (I'm on Windows 7), and clicked on Restore iPhone. Instead of the option you mentioned to restore from iOS 6, I got this message:

Cannot restore iPhone because Find My iPhone is on. Use cloud setting on your iPhone to turn off...."

Well, I can't use ANYTHING on my iphone because it is now locked into that activation error. Is there a workaround for this? (Besides strangling my grandson). Obviously, I can't register as a developer as I am not one.

Thank you for your help.

Collapse -
End of saga and what I learned.
by Marylou431 / July 27, 2013 2:18 AM PDT

I got the iOS 6.1.4 installed by using DFU mode. That allowed me to bypass the Find My Iphone error message.
In the process, these are the 3 valuable lessons I learned:

1. You can't restore a backup you made from a higher iOS to a lower one. (iOS 6 to iOS 7: yes. iOS 7 to iOS 6: no.)

2. iTunes deletes your last backup when it does a new one.

3. Never let a teenager touch your electonic devices.

Why lesson number 2 is important if lesson number 1 kicks in: Now that I had iOS 6 back on my phone, I was not able to use the last backup, which was from iOS 7. Which overwrote the previous backup from before all this started, which overwrote the previous backup befor that, which overwrote the previous.......

You get the picture. So my options were to use an old backup from last August or mail the phone to the geeky grandson and tell him to restore it from the backup he made to his computer.

I chose door number 1, which created a host of issues that I will not bore you with, but it was the lesser of 2 evils.

Thank you all for your help.

Collapse -
Pleased you got it fixed,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 27, 2013 10:00 AM PDT

#3 would seem to be the most important here.

thanks for the update

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.