iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

iPhone 4s restrictions

by labrat408 / May 28, 2013 12:20 AM PDT

My iPhone 4s will not allow me to install any apps, or make other changes without 4 digit restriction code. I never put a restriction code in my phone. Best I can find out is I have to completely wipe the phone and start over, ringtones, pics, contacts, everything. Sad Does anyone know a way around this issue?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPhone 4s restrictions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPhone 4s restrictions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This has been discussed at length.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2013 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: iPhone 4s restrictions
Collapse -
painfully aware
by labrat408 / May 28, 2013 3:42 AM PDT

I am painfully aware this has been discussed at length in the Apple forum discussions. I don't want it 'both ways'. I didn't want the restriction to begin with and I didn't put it in my phone (which I bought new from Verizon btw). I have installed apps, ring tones, etc. previously, now I cannot. I guess I was hoping against hope that someone in this community might have some advice to prevent having to wipe my phone and start all over.

Collapse -
Let's be honest here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2013 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: painfully aware

If someone picked up a phone and it's not locked or restricted they could set that as a prank. I know you don't like my answer but if there was a simple bypass then what good is this feature since you could enable it and with some procedure make it go away.

It's this way on purpose to prevent easy bypass or no bypass. What good is security if there is a way pass the lock?

If we found a way, Apple would have to quickly fix it.

Collapse -
Consider taking it back to factory default
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 28, 2013 8:27 AM PDT

it "may" clear the code.

Unless, of course, you ask your friends what number they put in. Devil

Collapse -
So Verizon put the code on your phone?
by Pepe7 / May 28, 2013 12:48 PM PDT

<rhetorical question, btw.>

My advice? Always backup your iPhone to iCloud, in addition to iTunes. It works really well to restore when needed. Since I presume you bought most of your media/apps via iTunes & the App Store, once you perform a factory reset it will present you with the option to restore from iCloud. Once that's done it will automatically re-download all of your apps/settings, etc. Next time do it this way and save yourself the pain.

Collapse -
It's a mystery.
by labrat408 / May 28, 2013 10:12 PM PDT

No, I had the phone for several months before it suddenly required the restriction code one day when I went to install a new app. I don't believe it to be a prank by a friend. No explanation. I always back up to iTunes for my contacts and voice memos (business traveler). The problem is when you restore from backup it also puts the restriction code back in. I see little option but to back up everything outside of iTunes, reset to factory default and start all over. That includes an uninstall/reinstall of iTunes on my laptop. I do appreciate the feedback.

Collapse -
happened to me too
by jennifershea / May 29, 2013 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: It's a mystery.

I had this happen to my daughter's ipod after recently updating the OS....I have not entered a restriction code -though I should have - and now there is one but no one knows what it is!

Going back to factory settings will "ruin" all of her games/scores so she is reluctant to do that however the bigger problem is that now she is privy to all of MY TEXTS! It used to be that I could read hers (for safety) but mine were private - now it's all on displat on both my iphone and her ipod!

Collapse -
When you update the OS...
by Pepe7 / May 29, 2013 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: happened to me too

...you have to go in and choose in the Apple ID section on the devices which users can work from each respective device. That will keep her eyes away from what you text on your device. Make sure her email is the only one checked on her iPod, and yours alone on your iPad. The Apple support site can walk you through this process too, FWIW.

Regarding the restriction code issue, you may have to restore from backup if you have one via iTunes. Otherwise, it will be as a new device.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.