iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

General discussion

iPhone 4s or iPhone 5

by Mariachr87 / December 28, 2012 11:28 PM PST

Hi guys,

I'm an owner of an iPhone 3gs and I want to upgrade it. So being an iPhone fan what would be the best choice? Get an iPhone 4s or the iPhone 5?

I need opinions as I know Apple changed the connector adapter making it smaller. Would that be an issue?

Thanks,
Maria

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPhone 4s or iPhone 5
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPhone 4s or iPhone 5
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I suggest.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 29, 2012 12:16 AM PST
In reply to: iPhone 4s or iPhone 5

the iPhone 4s in your situation. No need to buy more charging cables or adapters for that model. I was not overly impressed with the newer iPhone 5. Also, you will save about $100 over the iPhone 5 equivalent model.

Collapse -
I would suggest that the charging cable
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 29, 2012 4:32 AM PST

would not be an issue if the iPhone 5 were to be purchased as the charger and the charging cable comes with the iPhone 5 anyway.

I have been very impressed with my iPhone 5

P

Collapse -
Depends on your needs...
by Freber / January 4, 2013 10:13 AM PST

Hi there,
I upgraded from an Iphone 3GS to an Iphone 5 in December. I'm happy with my decision, but honestly think it really depends on your needs and how you use your phone. You can see the side by side comparison of all three current iPhone models on the Apple website: http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/ .

My opinion is that there isn't a whole lot of reason to upgrade from a 4S to an iPhone 5. For me, I needed the 32GB phone which tipped the scales for me, otherwise I probably would have gone with the 4S. Having the fastest processor is nice for the future and keeping this one more 'current' speedwise, but my husband has a 4 and I don't see any difference in speed in terms of apps opening and game playing, currently.

The other big upgrade with the iPhone 5 is of course, the 4G LTE connection. I do live in an area with that availability and it's pretty darn sweet. But 3G will get the job done, albeit more slowly, so again it's all a matter of how important that lightning quick cellular data connection is to you.

As far as the connector, it's a slight inconvenience to have to charge my phone with the one cord that came with it, when my household is littered with the last generation connectors for phones/ipods/ipads. But in defense of the new connector, it is really fast - I used to have to leave my phone overnight to do a full restore due to the amount of music, photos, videos and apps I have on it. This new adaptor was noticeably quicker for syncing and moving data to the phone.

Hope this helps! I think both are great products, it's all about whether those minor tweaks with the 5 are worth the extra $100+ to you. Regardless, it's nice to have moved up from my 3GS which was starting to feel S-L-O-W with some of the multi-app demands I was putting on it. Good luck!

Collapse -
Camera issues
by Mariachr87 / January 6, 2013 4:57 PM PST

Hi guys,

Thank you for your replies. I m stil thinking about it. Money is a big issue right now. My 3GS also feels veeeery slow and it has opened at the sides. So I really need something new.

The 32 GB is not an issue for me as 16GB is fine with me until now with my 3GS. Im thinking about the camera. Some friends had issues when having a case on the 4S. It blocked the flash a bit. I dont know if this happens with iphone5.

But I heard that happens with all phones now having a case.

Looking forward to your replies.

Collapse -
Otterbox make a case for all the models
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 6, 2013 8:40 PM PST
In reply to: Camera issues

and none of their cases block the flash

P

Collapse -
I suggest.....
by darthtuan / January 8, 2013 5:56 PM PST

I'm an owner of an iPhone 3gs, too.
I think you should buy Iphone5. Some application require OS 5.x

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.