iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

iPhone 4S/5 versus Android

by jwilliams812 / February 2, 2013 5:48 AM PST

Hello internet,

I'm getting a new phone to replace my HTC Inspire (contract with AT&T is up, screen's cracked, and for some reason it isn't updating the software to ice cream sandwich or whatever it is anyway). I have a late 2008 macbook that is still running OS 10.5 (before snow lion), which hopefully get updated to the current operating version soon. Now, I'm still up in the air a bit about whether to commit to owning an iPhone or stay with an Android operating system. After all the reviews I've read, and comparing phone models (iPhone vs Samsung Galaxy S III), it seems that they're at the same level. The Galaxy has a bigger screen, a little longer battery life, and stronger processing power, while the iPhone 5 will talk with my mac well (I never figured out how to get double twist to work, which is bad on my part, and I would have to learn how to use it if I got another android), and I do like the ease of the operating system system when I've had to work with others' iPhones.

I merely dabble in electronics knowledge. I just would like a phone that is a good phone (obviously), decent battery life (charge it every day and a half, if that's possible with a smart phone), good camera when I need it, and can record my workouts while playing music. I could care less about 4G because I use my home or work WiFi as much as I can.

There might be a free with contract phone that does all these things, but planned obsolescence happens and I don't mind paying to get a phone that won't be 4 years old two years from now.

Long post, but do y'all have any suggestions? Is there any reason why I should get one over the other?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPhone 4S/5 versus Android
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPhone 4S/5 versus Android
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 2, 2013 6:17 AM PST

That 4 year life span is a stretch. I see folk barely get 2 today. The battery times on the iphone are well noted so you can see if that fits your wants. Here I went with a simple (?) android phone from a monthly deal at 35 a month so I'm not that attached to it. No big investment. It does come with the latest Jelly Bean which isn't that important as even the old OS did what it needed to.

Collapse -
by jwilliams812 / February 2, 2013 6:59 AM PST
In reply to: Ouch.

What I meant was a phone that came out a year or two ago when I get it, so when I can get a new phone I won't have a 4 year old model or something, if that makes sense. However new models are coming out so fast, that might not be something to worry about... Thanks though!!

Collapse -
It's really a wash, and a matter of personal preference
by Pepe7 / February 4, 2013 12:23 AM PST

The battery life of one over the other has more to do with how you use it than it does the advertised capacity IME. Each person will likely get different performance depending on what they do with the device. Been there, done that.

Just choose the phone that suits your requirements, outside of the battery life issue, since that may dissappoint you, regardless of which brand/model you choose in a smartphone. It's their Achilles heel, still to this day.

Collapse -
Apps or browsing?
by UrbanTemplates / February 7, 2013 1:33 AM PST

I feel like the major differences boil down to 2 major things for me. I own devices of both android and iOS. Web browsing on a phone is more advanced on an android. Native flash support wins the day compliments of google.

However, for apps apple wins by a long shot. Developers make their money on iOS, and so they put more apps out of higher quality with more updates. Take your pick, apps or Internet.

Both have both, but in either category they have their strengths.

Collapse -
by 3rdalbum / February 9, 2013 8:49 PM PST

My father used to have an iPhone, and switched to Android. He's recently bought an Android tablet (the Nexus 7) and fell in love with Android all over again.

The iPhone 5 sounds generally good, except with Apple products you always seem to get "issues". Apple Maps, Do Not Disturb, all apps suddenly not working until you install a new one, and weak wifi are the afflictions of the iPhone 5. If you update the operating system you may see other buggy behaviour.

I can't guarantee that you won't find bugs in Android, but I've only found one on Android 2.3 that may have been fixed in Android 4 or 4.1. Nothing major, just that the World section in the News app has news from late December. Certainly nothing as bad as getting misdirected when driving to somewhere important.

I must admit; personally I probably wouldn't buy a phone with a nearly-5-inch display; but I also wouldn't buy a phone with such a long screen as the iPhone 5.

Collapse -
I love iPhone
by Suanyoung / February 26, 2013 11:40 AM PST
In reply to: Android

Buy iPhone cases, go to icase-zone.

Collapse -
android v/s iphone
by jacksonbird03 / February 26, 2013 5:31 PM PST

hey i want to know about the two versions which is better between android and iphone..

thank you

Collapse -
Re: better
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 26, 2013 6:04 PM PST
In reply to: android v/s iphone

That depends on your criteria. To name a few:
- pixels of the camera
- quality of reception of a weak signal
- availability of that one app you really need for work or study
- battery life
- what subscription package is offered by the provider for it
- pixels of the screen
- protection against malicious apps
- if you need integration with google products (like gmail)
- if you need integration with apple products (like icloud)

Moreover, there are only a few different iPhones and there are a multitude of different Android phones (the hardware, the software added by the manufacturer and the version of Android).

An iPhone is a phone, Android is an OS. You can't compare a phone and an OS.
So this question is even more like "What is better: Ford or Boeing?" than "What is better: Ford or General Motor?"

Collapse -
Came from an Android
by KBen88 / June 4, 2013 4:49 AM PDT

I was happy with my android when I had it. When it was time for a new phone I was up in the air if I was staying with android or going to apple. But when the size of the Galaxy S3 came out I immediately was turned away. In my opinion it's far too big. I am very pleased with my iPhone 5, it's size, the speed of LTE, and the battery life well my phone is bluetoothed to my car so it's expected to not be great.

It really comes down to which you feel comfortable with. Going to the store and try each of them out to see which you like better is the best way to go about this.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.