iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

iPhone 4 (free) vs. iPhone 4S ($99.) upgrade @ AT&T?

by kerijc / September 27, 2012 6:19 AM PDT

Greetings to all.
For just basic user's (ie-talking, email, music, radio streaming, some pics, etc.).... what's the general consensus? We've had the 3GS for the last 1.5 yrs, (cost us $50.00 in Feb. 2011).
Is the 4S worth the extra $100.00 -- over the 4?

Thanks so much, for any opinions.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPhone 4 (free) vs. iPhone 4S ($99.) upgrade @ AT&T?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPhone 4 (free) vs. iPhone 4S ($99.) upgrade @ AT&T?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Save the $99 (n/t)
by Pepe7 / September 27, 2012 7:29 AM PDT

Collapse -
Thanks. Any reasons? N/T
by kerijc / September 27, 2012 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Save the $99 (n/t)

Collapse -
It's a very similar device (n/t)
by Pepe7 / September 28, 2012 5:41 AM PDT

Collapse -
If you have the $100,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 27, 2012 11:55 PM PDT

then go with the 4S

If not, go with the 4

Collapse -
attn: kerijc
by birdmantd Forum moderator / September 28, 2012 8:09 AM PDT

Your post in the thread "iPhone 4 and 4s" was deleted as a cross post. This is against forum rules and this new thread is the place for discussion, not a 7-8 month old thread that has had no active discussion.

Collapse -
Seemed quite relevant, actually. . . . :{
by kerijc / September 28, 2012 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: attn: kerijc

If it wasn't relevant, I wouldn't have posted in it. That's why I intentionally 'subject titled' my post: 'Seven months on.....?.' After 7-8 months of no discussion on the subject, it seems altogether relevant, imo, that the subject kicked around a bit again, especially since Apple is trying to get rid of huge supplies of 4's & 4S's, and AT&T (for one) just lowered their costs to 'Free' and '$99.' respectively.
Where in the 'forum rules' (since that's now being cited :rolleyes:) does it say that a discussion topic---can not be revisited at a later date---even though the discussion topic is still obviously relevant? Is that some kind of central pillar of the 'forum rules'? Does anyone actually take the time to read entirely through the forum rules?
Do you, birdmantd M, really have nothing better to do than to go around unnecessarily deleting other poster's posts??? :rolleyes: Is (that) what kind of forum this is??? :rolleyes:

Collapse -
. . . and, why wasn't the thread deleted . . .
by kerijc / September 28, 2012 10:52 AM PDT

. . . a long time ago, if it was so 'old' and suffering having 'had no active discussion'? :rolleyes:

Collapse -
Gee thanks....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / September 28, 2012 1:18 PM PDT

Sorry to see that you didn't read the forum policies. Have a good night.

Collapse -
Check out the comparisons here
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / September 28, 2012 9:14 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks, Lee Koo (Admin) M*...
by kerijc / September 28, 2012 11:21 AM PDT

Thanks for the links; I perused through both of those several days back or maybe last week.

I guess I was expecting some kind of real-life, actual, semi-intelligent opinions.

My mistake.

Collapse -
Main problem is...
by Pepe7 / September 28, 2012 3:44 PM PDT

...you don't get specific about the aforementioned hardware differences from the charts re-posted that you say you already read. Examples: difference in camera resolutions & processors speeds. To me, neither is a deal breaker, hence my advice to go with a 4 for free.

IMO to simply ask 'is the 4S a better choice over the 4' really does depend on the person. Whether or not paying the extra $99 for the camera & dual core processor is somewhat subjective. Having 1080p without a decent lens doesn't amount to much in my case- I have a separate, much better quality camera for that purpose.

If you have specific questions about how each handset performs, you can find such info in a whole plethora of reviews posted in various tech blogs that are reputable. Howardforums is also a good place to peruse such info.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.