iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

General discussion

IPhone 3g not updatable?

by jimnaro / May 28, 2013 3:46 AM PDT

any way to get an IOS5 or 6 update for IPhone 3g???

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IPhone 3g not updatable?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IPhone 3g not updatable?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Looks like no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2013 4:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
iphone 3g - ios5-6
by jimnaro / May 28, 2013 4:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Looks like no.

Hi Bob, many shopping, weather, and all sorts of apps need the IOS 5 or even 6, from what i can see.

where can i find the apps that work on the 3g? I an new to iphones, and spending hours on itunes looking for 3g compatible apps seems silly.

Collapse -
Just checked with a friend.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2013 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: iphone 3g - ios5-6

The store should and maybe it does not but should only list what your phone can use.

It does not sound silly to me at all. You have an older model and to save some bucks you spend more time looking for the apps.

Collapse -
Yes, but only on a per-app basis
by Pepe7 / May 28, 2013 5:25 AM PDT

Unfortunately, there's no exhaustive list from Apple or on the App Store proper.

Collapse -
I'm also surprised the phone works.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2013 5:35 AM PDT

It looks like this model debuted in mid 2008 so here we are 5 years later with a phone that is 3 to 5 years old.

If this phone was actually used this speaks highly of that model. At CTIA in many presentations they are banking on 2 year life spans.

Collapse -
Phone works-should last for 10-15 years
by jimnaro / May 28, 2013 6:56 AM PDT

i am surprised that people think that anything you buy should only last a couple of years, but that is what they are trying to train us to believe!

anything you get that costs more than a couple of bucks should last at least 10 - 15 years, and be supported by the people that made it!--THE TIME HAS COME TO REBEL AGAINST THE MACHINE!!!

anyway, thanks for comments and suggestions, and everyonr have a good one!, Jim

Collapse -
You are stretching the truth, amigo
by Pepe7 / May 28, 2013 7:26 AM PDT

The phone you own still works fine, but you need to understand that it's an unrealistic assumption that ALL future technologies/applications/releases should automatically be backwards compatible.

Do you work with computers for a living, or know someone who does? In this sense they could explain it more completely.

Helpful Hint: you can buy a new Apple iPhone 4 for $.01 from several different cellular carriers now which can run all the apps you need(!) Your current device can be passed along to some kid who doesn't mind that the latest apps don't all work on it...

Collapse -
Or it will function nicely as an iPod
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 28, 2013 8:25 AM PDT

Incidentally, my iPhone (Original) was retired only a short while ago after giving sterling service for a considerable number of years.
Together we watched the 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S and 5 come and in some cases, go, since 2008.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.