E-readers forum

General discussion

iPad vs Kindle

by jvrounds / April 21, 2010 2:34 AM PDT

Help! I can't stand the iPhone/iTouch. I lived with one for two weeks and sent it back. I could not get it to deal with pdf files like my old Palm could. I do not need real time info. Something downloaded a day or two before is fine (old fashioned, I guess). Also, I have resented color screens since they don't work in daylight. Would a Kindle fill my needs better since the Palm is apparently dead?

Thanks,
jvrounds

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPad vs Kindle
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPad vs Kindle
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look at your requirements.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2010 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: iPad vs Kindle

"deal with pdf files like my old Palm could."

I have the kindle and you won't like most pdf handling. I like the iPad PDF viewers so for that it's a plus. As to DAYLIGHT READABILITY that failed on all my Palms (disclosure, I write Palm apps.) So DAYLIGHT of sunlight readable machines are going to not be in the consumer lines. Maybe you need a military solution?

It won't be cheap.
Bob

Collapse -
iPad vs Kindle
by jvrounds / April 22, 2010 5:54 AM PDT

Thanks for your post. It is possible the last time I enjoyed daylight readability was the last cell phone I had with a b&W LCD screen. I guess the satisfactory rendering of pdf files will just have to rely on the size of the screen.

jvrounds

Collapse -
I tinkered and it was too much work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2010 7:23 AM PDT

The kindle does have a way to get pdf to it. BUT and this is a big but, it took me 2 or 3 tries to get it to look ok. I think the ipad is better on this. I also have a netbook which is really my best all purpose viewer.

Now if I can get our apps on the ipad I'll be there.
Bob

Collapse -
iPad vs Kindle
by jvrounds / April 23, 2010 1:47 AM PDT

It sounds like the iPad is winning. Could a Blackberry be my answer to pdf files? I am up for a new phone on ATT. I have always used Motorola, but it looks like they are losing out in the phone wars?

Collapse -
Tipping my hand again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2010 2:19 AM PDT

I revealed I wrote PalmOS apps. I am porting these to WinMo today. Along the way we played with the berry and for a very specific reason we couldn't use that system. That reason has changed but that was a year ago so all we have is the berry and here's the problem as I see it. There are how many versions so you would have to see if the one you get today is fine.

While I doubt many will get the 10+ years we got from PalmOS IF I was to move to a phone and didn't go Windows Mobile 7 I would go Droid.

Then again I have the other solutions and all work for me.
Bob

Collapse -
phones and e-readers
by jvrounds / April 23, 2010 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Tipping my hand again.

You've really got a novice in me. I didn't realize I was choosing an OS when I got a phone. I didn't understand your reference to Windows Mobile 7. Isn't the Droid a Motorola product? That would be consistent with my inclination to stick with Moto.

Regarding the Kindle, can I simply sync with my computer and bypass their charge for downloading content via their phone connection?

I notice that syncing is the only way to get content with the Sony E-Reader. Sync-ing with my computer is my preferred (read, familiar and cheap) method of obtaining content.

I am interested in eBreviary.com and Epocrates.com and medicalletter.com. I guess I should check with them to see if these devices can handle their content.

Also, don't understand WinMo; would that be winmo.com?

I have since read the directions enough to see that you are a "Moderator". Thanks

Collapse -
Good questions. Let's see if I can answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2010 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: phones and e-readers

While I'm a mod, this is all a discussion between folk so here goes.

"You've really got a novice in me. I didn't realize I was choosing an OS when I got a phone. I didn't understand your reference to Windows Mobile 7. Isn't the Droid a Motorola product? That would be consistent with my inclination to stick with Moto."

Moto today has versions of many phones with Droid, WinMo (albeit 6.1, 6.5), Symbian, their own things and what else? So you can Moto and woto too. Droid is from google. Phone makers can use that.

"Regarding the Kindle, can I simply sync with my computer and bypass their charge for downloading content via their phone connection?"

I don't "sync". I do so email to/from amazon (sorry if I don't document it here) and then connect the kindle and copy a file over.

"I notice that syncing is the only way to get content with the Sony E-Reader. Sync-ing with my computer is my preferred (read, familiar and cheap) method of obtaining content."

Syncing in my world means so much more. On the Kindle, the Sony I just copy a file from here to there.

"I am interested in eBreviary.com and Epocrates.com and medicalletter.com. I guess I should check with them to see if these devices can handle their content."

The only trouble I see is when the content is protected in some way.

"Also, don't understand WinMo; would that be winmo.com?"

WM = WinMo = "Windows Mobile." Hope that helps,
Bob

'I have since read the directions enough to see that you are a "Moderator". Thanks'

You're welcome. Since I have all those devices and will have the iPad in the collection soon enough plus I write apps for a few of them the only danger is if I get too techy in my replies. I apologize for that.
Bob

Collapse -
"new-speak"
by jvrounds / April 23, 2010 5:27 AM PDT

Sigh
I am english first and only language, but know it quite well
I have encountered several variations (read: dialects?)
Lawyer-speak, Green-speak
And those which I know: Medical-speak, and Church-speak (Roman Catholic)
This new Tech-speak, however, may have me stumped. It seems to evolve in in many different directions at once perhaps driven by Text-speak (perhaps text-type, more properly). I will try.
jvrounds

Collapse -
Apart from the 'speak' ...
by Kees Bakker / April 23, 2010 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: "new-speak"

you seem to do quite well with all those new devices and gadgets. My own latest buy for such (in 2004, I think) was a basic cell phone on which I even managed to learn how to SMS (after switching off T9 fast input, which made it complex).

My employer gave all personnel an iPod last Christmas, which found a nice destination as a Christmas present for my daughter. Much better than being stored in a some drawer in my desk to never come out again probably (which was the really sad fate of a Psion PDA I got as a present back in 1997).

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.