iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

iPad mini problem connecting to free WiFi links

by jolysmoke / August 1, 2013 1:37 AM PDT

Just had the first-time experience of holidaying in Europe with both a MBPro & an iPad mini & trying to connect to the free WiFi offers on the way. A bit disconcerting. We have the iPad mini with cellular ability in which one can put a dwarf SIM card too.
First problem struck in a French library with free WiFi. We got two access codes from staff. Eventually i managed to get the MBP to connect by first trying via Wifi search, clicking on Library connection there, putting in codes, then opening Safari, finding the Library on it asking for the code, reputting them in on Safari, and then finding i could surf Only problem i hit was an inability there to log in to my yahoo mail, as when I put in the name and password on YM, and clicked to open it, a whitish rectangle imposed itself on the lefthand side of the email address & prevented any further attempt to log in. The mail box refused to open. I retried repeatedly. But using the libraries PCs I could access my YM. Why?
The iPad linking was a total flop. Working thru the WiFi finder we found the library signal, but when clicked on it opened a file with a vast mass of questions and options to fill in that neither we nor the librarians had any idea about. The attempt to find a connection thru Safari failed. Safari could not find any net or signal to fill in any codes. They gave us a new code, but failure again.
We had however no problem linking in our lodgings without any modem thru the paying SIM card we had bought. It's the free WiFi that doesn't work.
A visit to Apple store Paris brought us the info that one connects thru Safari for free Wifi with iPad, but when I was next on a German campsite with free Wifi, I could find the signal on the iPad's Wifi option, but opening Safari led nowhere as it found nothing. (Our French 1 week SIM card
was unusable outside France so we were on WiFi mode not cellular).
Anyone got any ideas about how to deal with those problems?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPad mini problem connecting to free WiFi links
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPad mini problem connecting to free WiFi links
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Only a few thoughts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 1, 2013 1:54 AM PDT

I find pads to not have the range of most laptops so I find myself moving around to a better spot.

There are hotspots that need updates to work with ipads. My home router was one of those and it was trouble for over 4 months. Folk can get rather upset and call the issue caused by apple or the router. In this case I agree it was the router's hot spot as other laptops did have trouble as well as our Kindle Fire HD.

As to the ipad, see if there is an update from apple on the ios.

Collapse -
Your YM issue sounds like a password/2 step authentication..
by Pepe7 / August 2, 2013 2:03 PM PDT

...issue. YMMV. Google around a little for that problem.

FWIW, the biggest problems I've had with various i-devices (iPhones, all versions; iPads, iPod Touch) are problems connections to wifi access points. Head over to the Apple support forums on the apple site to learn more about such complaints. Not all are even solved by upgrading access points or iOS either, unfortunately. They are just 'bugs'.

Are you going into Settings > Wi-FI (etc.)?

Have you tried using the Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings to see if you can connect to these APs from scratch?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.