iPhones, iPods, & iPads

Question

IPAD and flash player

by lsyrek / May 31, 2011 6:50 AM PDT

When I visit my usual sites on my IPAD I get a message that I need to upgrade my flash player. When I click on the upgrade button, I get a message that my device does not allow flash player. Does this mean that I won't be able to visit these sites? How do I get flash player for my IPAD. Thank you for your responses.
LSyrek

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IPAD and flash player
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IPAD and flash player
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
There is nothing to stop you visiting these sites,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 31, 2011 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: IPAD and flash player

you just won't be able to view the flash content of them.

There is no good Flash player for the iPad, Adobe still has not been about to come up with a Flash player that does not eat the resources of any mobile device.

If you read the reviews of those tablets that do have Flash, you will find that it is not that good.

Until Adobe come up with a decent player, there will be no Flash on the iPhone, iPod or iPad

P

Collapse -
Wrong!
by ashparkcity1 / June 19, 2011 12:35 PM PDT

I have an iPad 2 (I am responding on it now) as well as an Android phone (the EVO Shift) I have never encountered a Flash video that would not play well on my phone, and there is no noticeable battery drain. This issue is why I sold my iPhone 4 and switched to the EVO. I do not regret it, as the iPhone just has too many limitations. I can also carry a spare battery, and I do, because all current smartphones have poor battery life.

Collapse -
Answer
Let me share my tablet experience.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2011 7:06 AM PDT

So far, so good with my Nook Color with a customized Android installed from http://mrm3.net/nook-color-experimental-gingerbreadcm7-fix-for-sleep-of-death/

It's very good to excellent running the web browser with flash content. In fact so good some may forget what was the big deal.

Imagine that no one sells such a tablet as this. Remember that I had to get the tablet then go install the OS.

Shades of Windows.
Bob

Collapse -
???
by birdmantd Forum moderator / May 31, 2011 9:46 AM PDT

Bob,

How does you post help the OP with the iPad and Flash Player ??

It is unfortunate that Apple and Adobe are not cooperating to make it work on the iPad though.

Collapse -
It shows the current state of affairs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 31, 2011 9:52 AM PDT
In reply to: ???

"If you read the reviews of those tablets that do have Flash, you will find that it is not that good."

My experience is counter to that but then again it's not something you can buy at a store!
Bob

Collapse -
More Apple than Adobe
by practical-consumer / June 19, 2011 3:31 PM PDT
In reply to: ???

Apple and Abode have been partners for years with photoshop, ect. Adobe did have iPhone support before they shipped Flash CS5, but Apple threatened to place an update for all iOS devices that would make it not play flash CS5 products, because they claimed it would eat too many system resources and bad battery life. Adobe took the feature out shortly before the release of CS5. Read it in Life Hacker about a few months ago.

Collapse -
Answer
Sorry man
by practical-consumer / June 19, 2011 3:26 PM PDT

Apple has it so Flash doesnt work on iPads, iPhones. So you cant do it. Rumor has it that they did it because of App store sales. Why would you buy an app if it is free on the internet. Others think its because flash is becoming an outdated technology so they dont feel its worth it. Either way you can't play flash without Jail braking it.

Collapse -
Answer
No Flash will ever be supported on iPad, iPhone
by FrdBr / July 1, 2011 1:12 PM PDT

I asked this question directly after first getting my iPad and an Apple rep told me they would never support Flash because it crashes systems and clogs them too much.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.