Phones

Question

Ipad 2 with AT&T sim card use??

by fighterpilota / November 6, 2013 5:35 AM PST

Ipad 2 with AT&T cellular sim card. Getting mixed signals regarding ability to suspend that capability vice deactivate it once activated on a prepaid status. Apple sales said could suspend and use as needed, like for a trip etc., just buy another month. At Best Buy one "expert" said you could suspend until next time. The next one I talked to said no, When I told her better get their story straight, she called her AT&T buddy, who said could suspend, didn't have to deactive and get new sim card next time. Stopped at an AT&T store and they said only way to avoid continuing charges, even if not using it was to deactivate and get a new sim card next time an reactivate. Now totally confused. Help!! Can I suspend and unsuspend, and just buy another month, or does it require deactivation to preclude a month charge while sitting on the shelf. Than have to get another sim card and start all over again???Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ipad 2 with AT&T sim card use??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ipad 2 with AT&T sim card use??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's a maze, minefield or both.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2013 5:53 AM PST
Collapse -
Ipad and AT&T
by fighterpilota / November 6, 2013 8:16 AM PST

It's not that I want to stick with AT&T, but the Ipad has the cellular capability with the AT&T sim card in it. Do I have a choice that makes sense, short of buying another Ipad which doesn't seem to be reasonable? I searched the link you gave and there is a lot of information but I couldn't find the answer to my question. I may have to sign up and hope I push the right buttons in sign up to leave an option to suspend vice deactivate. I'll go on the RV forums, someone there maybe doing it vice the cell phone forums which haven't been too helpful as of now. Thanks

Collapse -
Then att is not an option.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2013 8:33 AM PST
In reply to: Ipad and AT&T

I thought they were very clear that it was a pay to activate and then it expires for the reason given. It appears that the carriers have populated their counters with anyone off the street?

Since it is a GSM device, you can read the shame at https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2773420

In my town that gives me T-Mobile and ATT. If you are in Canada there are other carriers.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. There are OTHER solutions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2013 9:33 AM PST
Collapse -
How is Karma going to help someone w/ an RV?
by Pepe7 / November 6, 2013 10:49 AM PST

It's a 4G service, so you are typically limit to urban/suburban areas. See their coverage maps-

https://yourkarma.com/coverage

Also, it's a crowd-share credit type of system. Mostly intended for the young urbanites who can't afford to pay full freight.

Collapse -
Try adding some other solutions?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2013 12:30 PM PST

My mom has the Netzero and no 4G in the area yet it works. Just like asking ATT, bad answers all around.
Bob

Collapse -
Karma's not the same though
by Pepe7 / November 6, 2013 1:09 PM PST

Interesting about your mom. I wasn't aware that the Netzero 4G (wimax) service had any fallback to 3G. Tell me more specifics about hardware/zip code if you can.

cheers

Collapse -
Not there but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2013 2:16 PM PST

It's in the 91786 area and she's on the 15 buck a month plan. No contract. She's 78 years old and got it all working without a visit from anyone. Whatever NetZero did, I'm impressed.
Bob

Collapse -
Your mom has 4G coverage though
by Pepe7 / November 8, 2013 2:25 AM PST
In reply to: Not there but

It's right by Ontario, CA, correct? Quite a lot of industry there, if I am correct. That's in a prime solid 4G coverage area for Clear/Sprint, FWIW.

Collapse -
It's a few miles to Ontario.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2013 4:20 AM PST

But like in horseshoes it may be close enough. It wasn't in their zone but worked so everyone nods and moves forward.
Bob

Collapse -
That reminds me....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / November 8, 2013 4:42 AM PST

....of when I go visit family in Buffalo/Niagara Falls. My cousins live on the Niagara River (upstream from the Falls) and occasionally pick up a Canadian tower. They live less than 1 mile from the border, but their cellular carrier always takes that into account and does not bill them for roaming on select towers in Canada.

Collapse -
That's certainly a new one ;)
by Pepe7 / November 8, 2013 9:03 AM PST
In reply to: That reminds me....

In the old days, you probably would have had to sell your car to pay those gosh darn int'l roaming charges(!) 8-)

Collapse -
I hear you on that one
by Pepe7 / November 8, 2013 9:01 AM PST

There are few holes in ATT coverage around Chicago where ATT says otherwise Sad

I am wondering about the hardware your mom has too- is the box even capable of 3G fallback, regardless of whether or not the network is available(?)

cheers

Collapse -
I'll see this in about 10 days.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2013 9:05 AM PST
In reply to: I hear you on that one

It's whatever NetZero sent here. It's not the USB dongle but a little square box like the common MiFi things.

It's nice when your parents get such done on their own. The kids are usually on the hook for every tech thing.
Bob

Collapse -
at&t
by fighterpilota / November 6, 2013 10:44 AM PST

The suggested web site was most helpful. Don't know why the folks at the AT&T places can't do better. Thanks

Collapse -
Answer
They won't let you be that flexible, AFAIK
by Pepe7 / November 6, 2013 10:58 AM PST

Your best bet is to stick with a straight forward prepaid 3G data plan for your iPad. So what if you didn't use it one month- it's only $15. See here:

http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/files/pdf/emerging_devices/iPad_fact_sheet_081210.pdf

If you can find free wifi in your RV travels, you may be able to get by w/ a 250MB/month ipad data plan if you don't surf much video/audio streaming sites. For email checks/light surfing you might be able to pull it off.

FWIW, don't ever expect anyone who works at Best Buy to know fine details about carrier offerings, let alone their own merchandise/services (LOL). IMNSHO they knew more in the old days when they were treated more by management than glorified order takers of late. Call ATT or visit an ATT corporate store for such fine details.

Collapse -
Ipad and AT&T
by fighterpilota / November 6, 2013 10:19 PM PST

Help me with my understanding of hot spots versus cell tower tx. Hot spots are like MacDonalds, hotels, etc. but I need signal as I drive down the road. That would be true cellular reception as in a cell phone. The above mentioned plan seems to just talk about 20,000 hot spots which wouldn't get me information as I drive down the road. Is that a correct understanding?? Thanks

Collapse -
Yes, while driving you need cellular
by Pepe7 / November 7, 2013 12:02 AM PST

Wifi would be more often used when it was made available by a restaurant, library or coffee shop. I typically fall back to cellular when those particular locations have wifi that's on the fritz Wink

In this case, the 20K ATT Wifi hotspots is a free add-on that is included with the cellular 3G data plan you would be signing up for.

Collapse -
Ipad and AT&T
by fighterpilota / November 7, 2013 3:25 AM PST

Ok, I just signed up for 3 months, 3GB, non renewal for a try. Thanks for all the help.

Collapse -
ipad and at&t
by fighterpilota / November 7, 2013 6:11 AM PST

Correction--1 gig for 3 months, which should be enough this time of the year. No long trip planned until next summer. This will give me a chance to see how it works. Thanks

Collapse -
Happy travels ;)
by Pepe7 / November 8, 2013 2:21 AM PST
In reply to: ipad and at&t

Glad you found a good data option.

<back in the day, I would have killed for an iPad equivalent while travelling w/ my folks(!)>

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.