iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

General discussion

Ipad 2 lifespan

by ustechext485 / March 13, 2011 12:00 AM PST

I'm a college student, and I'm wanting to invest in the new ipad 2. The thing is i'm a bit worried shelling off over $500 on a product that maybe wont last long. The screen dying or something malfunctioning a year or after the warranty.
How reliable are apple products such as the ipad? What are the ipad's typical life expectancy? Also, and if so Is it necessary to buy an extended apple care warranty?

Appreciate any help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ipad 2 lifespan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ipad 2 lifespan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
given that the oldest iPad is only
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 13, 2011 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Ipad 2 lifespan

a little over a year old, it is probably not possible to state what the typical life span of one of these devices is.

Replacing any LCD screen is not going to be a cheap endeavor so an extended warranty is always worth the effort on these type of devices. (laptops too)

Normally, Apple products are very reliable but of course, there is always the odd lemon out there, no matter what you buy

Collapse -
ipad - very short lifespan for me
by spece / October 25, 2015 1:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Ipad 2 lifespan

I have an ipad2 I bought in 2012. Over the past year, it's become increasingly slow and now crashes often. I've done factory resets and deleted all data and a bunch of apps from it. It's 16 gig, with only 12 available to me. I find that if I don't keep at least 7 free, it's virtually unusable. So, my usable unfrustrating life span has been about 2 years. I'll be buying a new tablet soon. Will probably try a Samsung to see if it's any better. 4 or 5 hundred dollars every 2 years is just ridiculous.

Collapse -
The price of technology.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / October 25, 2015 3:00 PM PDT

....means that when technology changes/updates that you need to periodically upgrade the hardware. The terminology is "planned obsolescence". The odds of buying any modern technology and expecting it to run the same speed or efficiency even in a year are very slim. Welcome to the 21 st century.

Collapse -
Obsolescence expected. Just not this quickly.
by spece / October 25, 2015 8:47 PM PDT

Yeah, I know, planned obsolescence. I don't expect the same speed and efficiency as time goes on. But only 2 years for a device that expensive is just not right. I have an HP desktop that I've had for about 4 years, and it is somewhat slower than when new, but it doesn't have nearly the same frustration level as that damned ipad.

Collapse -
Moore's law.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 25, 2015 3:09 PM PDT

Is always a factor. Keeping free space is however a good idea on all current devices. I have a Tab 3 8inch and frankly it's going back. I'm sticking with Google Nexus models and Apple iThings.

Collapse -
by spece / October 25, 2015 8:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Moore's law.

I'll have to look into the Nexus.

Collapse -
I have an iPad2, purchased in late 2011
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 26, 2015 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Nexus

Which is still giving sterling service.
Granted, it's not quite as snappy as when it was new, but then again, it is currently running the latest version of iOS, iOS9.

Considering that the original version of the iOS for this iPad, was iOS5, this old iPad is doing well.

Collapse -
Also, some people blame the device vs the apps
by Pepe7 / October 28, 2015 7:24 AM PDT

I find many apps simply have never and do not run well on the iPad 2. It's a function of their quality as well as the Apple hardware.

Frankly, the fact that Apple even provides a way to load the latest version of iOS on them is impressive though.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.