iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

General discussion

iPad 1 constantly crashes.

by novicerover / December 10, 2012 10:02 PM PST

Reverts to icon screen in the middle of using it on the Internet or calling up favourites via my bookmarks !!
This has now become a real nuisance and does not appear to be uncommon ?
I have taken loads of apps etc off ,( although only 20% of the memory is in use ) updated it on the computer , rebooted etc with no joy .
Almost prepared to restore it to default I'm so fed up with it !!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iPad 1 constantly crashes.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iPad 1 constantly crashes.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: restore to default
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 10:07 PM PST

Seems an excellent idea. It's what we do with unexplainable unsolvable issues in Windows also.
And, just like Windows, if it doesn't work out, it's a hardware issue (and probably time to buy another tablet).

Kees

Collapse -
Same issue, same iPad
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 11, 2012 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: Re: restore to default

I have been encountering the same issue with select applications. I have found that uninstalling and reinstalling the application helps. When reinstalled, all previous data has automatically been restored for the application in question. I have done the same things you described with mixed success.

Just wanted to confirm you aren't the only one to have the same issue from time to time. I don't think you have to do a complete system restore, but if you have the time and ambition it won't hurt.

Collapse -
Ipad 1 constantly crashes!
by novicerover / December 11, 2012 6:19 AM PST
In reply to: Re: restore to default

Thank's for the input,it has made my mind up to back up and restore. If I discover anything interesting I will come back with the info.
Being retired I have the time to play about and experiment !!

Collapse -
Restore it
by Randall102269 / March 7, 2015 9:23 AM PST

Apple has a way of downloading the software and fully restoring it. You have to plug into your computer to do it. To find the directions, type restore my iPad on a Google search. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Reset button
by donnajf / December 11, 2012 12:22 AM PST

You have probably already done this, but, I had my iPad 2 for a year and didn't know to do it. Hit the Home button 2x fast. It will show all the apps that are OPEN! Touch and hold one lightly to begin to delete them all. I had every app open on mine; about 30!

Collapse -
Reset button CLOSES apps! Does not delete! Sorry!
by donnajf / December 11, 2012 12:31 AM PST
In reply to: Reset button

Sorry, meant to say that function will close, not delete apps!

Collapse -
Thanks for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 11, 2012 12:33 AM PST

I encountered a member here that was very cross and upset with me about that. They insisted it was deleting apps because they were no longer in that bar/area.

Another member thought that all apps on the screen were running. Ouch. I know it's hard on folk but one of the things we must learn is to keep learning.
Bob

Collapse -
Constantly crashes
by Stopti / January 3, 2013 5:27 AM PST

I am having the same problem. I did delete my FB app and am wondering if I should delete all my apps. It is so frustrating when you are trying to search for something and it is lost.

Collapse -
Since we all backup our stuff.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 5:33 AM PST
In reply to: Constantly crashes

What's to lose? We could do the full reset and blow away everything as a test then restore our pad from the backup later. Beats a trip to the guru counter.
Bob

Collapse -
Form my expirance
by givemeaname / January 3, 2013 9:44 AM PST
In reply to: Constantly crashes

Make sure all back ground apps closed, clear cookies and data, the clear the advanced web site data. I have mine running private browsing ON that helps some. Chrome runs better then Safari, but personly I do not like the way they have bookmarks.
Some web sites the iPad just does not like, mine does not like vidoes/audio on huffingtonpost.com, today 4 times in a row.

Collapse -
Just hit the HOME button twice fast!
by donnajf / January 5, 2013 1:50 AM PST

Doing this will show all of your open apps at the bottom of your screen. Touch them gently for a couple seconds. Then CLOSE them. THIS WILL NOT DELETE THEM!

Collapse -
This does show all the open apps!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 5, 2013 4:48 AM PST

It just shows you a list of all the apps you have opened at some point.

Deleting them just deletes the list.

As a test, delete the Mail app from that list. Get someone, or do it yourself from another device, to send you an email.
It arrived, didn't it?
Now how would it do that if the Mail app was closed?

P

Collapse -
K. You know when you close them, they aren't deleted, right?
by donnajf / January 5, 2013 11:00 AM PST

Yes. That's right. It does just show you a list of all the apps you opened at some point. And now they are open in the background. I never said they are all running. They are not deleted when you close them. They are still on your home screen, right? If it were deleted, it would no longer be on your home screen. I already know this, I hope you can understand it, too. Please consult a Genius for validation of this fact. Best of luck,
donnajf

Collapse -
I suggest you read my post again
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 5, 2013 11:45 PM PST

I did not say that the apps were deleted, I did say that they were deleted from the list.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.