Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

IP Address Problem

by timwerx / April 23, 2013 10:54 PM PDT

At work I use Win 7 Pro. I've used the same computer for many months with no problems or changes. It worked fine this morning. After lunch it would not connect to the internet or office network. A warning popped up saying that another computer was using my computer's IP Address. (!!?)

Why? What could happen to suddenly cause another computer to exist which uses my machine's address? How can I examine this and resolve it? If I get our "administrator" involved, he will make my whole desk inaccessible for a long time while he figures it out, so I'd really like to fix it myself if possible. I tried the ipconfig /release & /renew, with no success. I re-started several times, with no success.

Can anyone please tell me something else to try?

Thank you.

timwerx has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IP Address Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IP Address Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by timwerx

Collapse -
Re: IP-address
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 23, 2013 11:03 PM PDT
In reply to: IP Address Problem

If a reboot doesn't help, it's time to consult the IT-guy. He might do something like reset the router. But he might not appreciate it if you do that yourself (assuming you've got access to it).

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks
by timwerx / April 23, 2013 11:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: IP-address

It's night here, so I'll see how it is in the morning. Perhaps it will work again as mysteriously as it stopped. = )
Thanks for your reply.

Collapse -
They conflicting device was turned off.
by orlbuckeye / April 23, 2013 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Because you device was turned on first the conflict will happen the next time on the other device.

Collapse -
Thanks Again
by timwerx / April 24, 2013 9:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: IP-address

After trying many things, and none working, I went to the IT guy. He says it happens a lot on our network because we have both Win 7 and XP machines. (?) I thought it suspicious because it has always worked great until yesterday, suddenly, with no changes to machine or network. Anyway, he couldn't help. I then did a system restore (roll back) which didn't help. I then did a registry cleaning with Glary Utilities, and that solved it. Strange...

Anyway, it works now.

Collapse -
Answer
I have this problem at work not often but
by orlbuckeye / April 23, 2013 11:38 PM PDT

every once in awhile. The problem I have is I support a payroll application that has time clocks. These time clocks are required to have static IP addresses (they never changes) because the server communicates with them using the IP addresses. This also holds true for printers where the IP address must be static. Now the PC on our network are DHCP which means if the device is turned off it searches for a free IP address to use. I other words the IP adress can can for that DHCP device.

Now the problem is that our Network group that assigns IP adress forget. But what happens the IP address only conflicts if both devices are turned on. If say the conflicting devices are a PC and a printer the first device with that assinged IP address will grab it and if you turn on the second device you will get the error. No if one device is turned off almost all the time you will never see the error.

Most of the time for me it's a printer that was assigned the same IP address as my time clock. But it can be any device.

Collapse -
Answer
If the router is set for DHCP
by orlbuckeye / April 23, 2013 11:43 PM PDT

and new IP adress wil be assigned when the device is turned on.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.