Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

IP address conflict with another system on network??

by ocean / November 14, 2003 2:44 AM PST

I have a linksys router that is hooked up to 4 computers...I've had the cable modem for months and this problem has never happened before.

On my computer I am not able to connect to the internet. When I turn my comp. on a window pops up that says

"Windows-System error
There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network"

How do I solve this problem?
Also all the other 3 computers are able to have a connection to the internet, but not mine?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IP address conflict with another system on network??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IP address conflict with another system on network??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:IP address conflict with another system on network??
by dkingery / November 14, 2003 4:43 AM PST

Go to each computer and find out the IP address.

Run / Winipcfg
Run / CMD / ipconfig

Depending on your OS.
Your looking for the IP addresses, they should all be different, but you will find that yours and one other have the same.
(Ex or, or 192.168.0.XXX, XXX = 2-254)

Enter network properties / TCP/IP and adjust the last octet to any thing different (2-254), but make sure it does not match any other system.

The best bet, is to enable DHCP with in your Cable Router, and then go to each PC, and adjust for DHCP.

This error is stating that your IP is the same as another IP on your little 4 PC LAN.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by joninrockies / June 29, 2006 3:46 AM PDT

We were having this same problem at my work place and thanks to your instructions on changing the IP address manually, I was able to fix it. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Collapse -
ip address conflict
by billy0319 / September 13, 2007 12:45 AM PDT

I had this same problem today, all of my computers are assigned their IP addresses by DHCP. This was the first time I had ever seen this error message pop up, so I googled it and found the link to this forum. All I had to do was check all the computers to see which ones had the error message and then manually change their IP addresses. Thanks for the help!

Collapse -
Changin DHCP
by TDP2008 / July 11, 2008 7:28 AM PDT

You say: "Adjust for DHCP" but you don't say HOW. Can you expand for us neophytes?

Collapse -
internet conflict
by *dudeman* / October 15, 2008 8:20 AM PDT

ok i have a dell inspiron 531s with windows vita basic, I use a wirless internet, and it provided by a diffrent apartment right, well every nwo and then i get this IP address conflict. and i knwo that if you change the ip address manualy it fixes the problem in most cases but i need to know what a basic ip address and the DHCP the gateway stuff liek how that is all set up.i kwno taht there is two kinds of up there is the IP6 and IP 4 and i dotn knwo what the real diffrence is?

Collapse -
IP Conflict Fix
by drogve / November 2, 2009 6:34 AM PST

IP Conflict Fix Worked Perfectly For My Hardwire Tank You Very Much

Collapse -
IP address conflict
by Michelety / July 25, 2010 3:28 AM PDT

how do i enter "network properties/TCP/IP address to change ip address. When i enter it into where i entered cmd/ipconfig, it says network properties is not recognized as a command?

Collapse -
ip conflict
by POJaphter / August 14, 2010 11:54 PM PDT

everytime i type ipconfg in the run tab on windows 7,nothing happens,actually the run tab blinks once and dissapers.

Collapse -
Re:ip conflict
by awongjoeh / December 18, 2011 6:51 AM PST
In reply to: ip conflict

open run and type in cmd, this will open the command line and there type in ipconfig.that solves your problem.

Collapse -
Run> cmd> ipconfig /all
by aSKzEEV / January 12, 2013 3:32 AM PST
In reply to: Re:ip conflict

this is the correct command to repair ALL at once
pay attention:
after the cmd command you will get the black small screen prompting you bto type in the 2nd step:
so type in: ipconfig [[SPACE] &[THIS SLASH] / & [THAN TYPE] all
it will look at the end as:
ipconfig /all
press enter and see running white text
by the end you are dun

Collapse -
same problem but...
by smoothg101 / July 5, 2012 9:04 PM PDT

I have the same problem, I just have no understanding of this system stuff, I followed your instructions to "Enter network properties / TCP/IP" but I've no idea what "and adjust the last octet to any thing different (2-254)" means I've got now -
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix:
IP Address...... :
Subnet Mask... :
Default Gateway... :

could you be so kind to help?
my op system is XP Professional SP3:)
Netgear N300 router

Collapse -
Old discussion
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2012 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: same problem but...

If the 50 posts here don't hold your answer I fear you'll have to create a new discussion detailing that you already tried the solutions here.

Collapse -
by supriyamajhi / August 7, 2006 8:09 AM PDT

uninstall and install the wireless drivers from the device manager and that will work out
you will bw able to go online...This is the easiest method I found

Collapse -
There is an ip conflict with another system on the network
by s_kgoel / October 11, 2006 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

My problem is that this error keeps on popping up. But I have only one PC. There is not network!
Other Details:
Dual Boot System: Win98SE & Winxp Pro (No SP)
RAM:256 MB
Disk: 40 GB IBM - 7200 rpm
CD & DVD Drives
Printer: Lexmark 3200
Use ADSL Broadband with router supplied by ISP. DHCP enabled after seeing "ipconfig/all" =
E:\Documents and Settings\SK Goel>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : sunil
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
rnet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-EC-80-07-6C
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 11 October 2006 16:51:21
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 12 October 2006 16:51:21

PPP adapter Airtel:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . :
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
Can anyone help or should I ignore this message?
This only happens in WinXP not in W98SE.

Collapse -
I see that Airtel connection could find a 192 address.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2006 3:50 AM PDT

You'll have to decide which you want to use. Airtel or Ethernet.

Collapse -
ip address conflict on a single pc
by s_kgoel / October 13, 2006 3:21 AM PDT

I am sorry I do not understand what you mean.

I have a LAN card on my PC. AIrtel is the ISP which gives me the internet connection on a ASDL connection. I had asked the support people not to put me on a "permanently on" connection. I have to use what is something similar to a normal dial-up connection procedure to connect.

The router they have supplied is connected to the LAN card by a normal (I suppose Cat 5 ) cable and not thru USB.

Though the message does not hamper any performance, it is annoying.
I have tried to ipconfig /release and /renew. Also tried rebooting the router from http:/

Beats me what else is required. Surprisingly no such occurrence on WIN98SE usage.

Collapse -
ip conflict with another system on the network
by komiredi / April 23, 2010 9:45 AM PDT

Sir,Every time I open my computer a baloon says " There is an ip conflict with another system on the network"My system is single.It happened, when my pc was taken for resolving a crash.
Of course I DO NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH MY CONNECTIONS. It is a dial up connection and a broad band one.
windowsxp pro5.1 Service pack3.(Build2600)
Pentium dual core cpue5200
2gb ram
IntelG33/G31Express chipset family e MAIL <>
phone 919440857914

Collapse -
ip conflict
by chrissuttoncomputer / September 3, 2009 12:32 AM PDT

This worked for me - actually I uninstalled both the ethernet and wireless adapters in the Device Manager... then Scan for Changes - and it will reinstall them. Then I was able to connect!

Collapse -
by shardinstock / May 5, 2012 7:44 AM PDT

IP conflict for 3 weeks. Tried EVERYTHING. Looked for help all over. NOTHING. Not even the "experts" @ Time Warner Cable could help me.
I tried a couple of things suggested above, but nothing. Before I threw in the towel, I thought I'd try your suggestion.
Thank you sooooooo much!

Collapse -
worked like a charm
by enjoy79 / June 30, 2012 7:25 AM PDT

Anyone need advice, I suggest you follow this one first then try the other if this doesn't work. I have spents many hours following the others with no avail, most of the time I didnt even understand what I was suppose to be doing. Once I uninstalled the adapters then scan and the computer reinstalled them automatically I was online in no time with two laptopa running at the same time. I thought I will have to give up on my studio 1537. Am very glad and please with the above address. Sometimes the simpliest advice is the best one. thanks chris

Collapse -
Windows system error reads there is an IP address conflict.
by cnflicted / December 18, 2012 1:49 AM PST

So I am not a techie in anyway. I tried to use soe advice that was given and I got as far as seeing the IP address. I don't know where to go from here.
Someone suggested uninstalling the ethernet and wireless adapters in the device manager but I don't know where that lives.
Can anyone help?

Collapse -
This discuss is 9 years old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2012 2:07 AM PST

Sadly, if a solution has not been found in 9 years I'd be surprised but we might be talking about Windows but it really does not matter.

This old post is just that. I'd try a new question in the Computer Help forum and don't forget to add detail to your post. If you don't have the skills to do what is asked, tell them and be ready for the answer to be 'take it to the shop.'

-> Try a new post at link ->;contentNavBelowAd.0

Collapse -
IP address conflict with another system on network??
by Slick9493 / December 18, 2009 10:13 PM PST

Fantastic this is the option I used. Simple easy and worked a treat

many thinks

Collapse -
by ask4anu / October 14, 2006 5:29 AM PDT

should fix that in a jiffy
but you have problems i recommend that you get a router with hardware firewall

Collapse -
IP Address Conflict
by pm3435 / October 17, 2006 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Ipconfig/release&renew

I've been having the same "There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network" error message for the past week. The error pops up about every 4 seconds and disconnects me from VPN about every 10 minutes.

My home network consists of a Charter Communications cable modem, linksys wireless router, desktop computer and a laptop. My laptop is what consistently receives the error. The IP addresses are different on both computers so there is no conflict with them. I've been running this setup for a couple of years with no problems so I'm stumped as to what is causing it and how to resolve it. I've tried the release/renew, restarted, powered off, all but reset my modem and router which is what I will try next. Getting technical support help from Charter is next to impossible so I'm on my own. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Now there's hope here. You are using VPN
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2006 10:47 PM PDT
In reply to: IP Address Conflict

So your IP can indeed conflict with one at work. This is proper.

Have you changed your IP numbering system to something like ...

10.0.0.x ???

I won't tell how since it's specific to your router.

Collapse -
A short explanation why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2006 4:23 AM PDT

Let's say your LAN IP is the usual 192.168.1.x number. A VPN to the work network is "just like" you plugging your computer in a work. It's too likely your work address scheme is 192.168.1.x and as soon as you VPN in the error will pop up.

Nothing busted (except the IT staff?)

Collapse -
IP address conflict - is it a Norton problem????
by wvng / October 18, 2006 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: IP Address Conflict

I just started getting the same error message on my laptop on a system that has worked fine for quite a long time. The only change is that I installed Norton Internet Security 2006 on the laptop a week ago. Do you have that software? Could that be the problem?

Collapse -
Same issue, Norton?
by IPT / October 22, 2006 11:05 AM PDT

I too get the system error regarding an IP address conflict. I have a hardwired network with only two computers and all was fine for months. We also installed the Norton package lately. Both my computers have different IP address' confirmed via run>cmd>ipconfig.

Anyone with thoughts on how to solve this most annoying problem?

Collapse -
Windows- System Error
by Corbin62 / December 5, 2007 9:47 AM PST

There is an ip address conflict with another system on the network. I am only 13 and i have about 5 times as much computer experiance than my dad does. Buy that message comes up for about 3 days every week or so and it mainly happens on my laptop and my dad keeps having the same trouble on his. We have two laptops and one PC That get internet wirelessly and one pc that is directly conected. My dad cant do anything to help and I dont understand the directions i've seen to do it so if anyone could explain it in a simpler way it would be alot of help.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.