Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

IP Address Conflict

by Learner7 / May 24, 2013 3:24 AM PDT

A message came up when I opened my computer saying "Windows has detected an IP address conflict. Another computer on this network has the same IP address as this computer. Contact your network administrator for help resolving this issue. More details are available in the Windows System event log." I have windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64-bit OS, 12GB RAM, 500gb HDD. I couldn't find the Windows System event log.
I left my computer switched on today on Hibernate, when I went out, but the internet connection was switched off at the modem. I returned home opened the computer to find the message, and then I turned the modem back on to contact Cnet.

Learner7 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: IP Address Conflict
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: IP Address Conflict
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Learner7

Collapse -
Good question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2013 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: IP Address Conflict

My question is why after this many years is this issue still with us? You can see millions of hits on google so why is Microsoft leaving folk asking this question after a decade?

The topic is well discussed and without much detail about your network, I defer to prior discussions and add my question.

Collapse -
IP Conflict
by Learner7 / May 25, 2013 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Good question.

I tried looking on Google, but as I only have one computer in action on my broadband connection, how can this be?

Collapse -
I can make it happen with one PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2013 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: IP Conflict

But if there is wifi there is that wifi spoof method for others to attach to your network. The fine details are not in your post but the issue is again discussed at length over and over. I hope you will either tell all about your setup or use prior discussions.

Rebooting is common to fix it but until Microsoft and network gear makers change, it will continue. You and I can't fix this. You could assign addresses and not use DHCP but why would everyone want to be a network master?

Didn't the industry consider this before pushing this out? (no.)

Collapse -
IP address broadband set up.
by Learner7 / May 25, 2013 1:49 AM PDT

I have a Netgear N150 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router model DGN1000, the wireless setting is
WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access Pre-Shared Key.
I turn it off every night, and if I go out. What else can I tell you ? I am definitely not a network master, nor master of the computer !!

Collapse -
WPA is cracked in minutes now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2013 1:54 AM PDT

WPA2 is much longer. If rebooting fixes it then most folk move on as they don't want to learn about hard assigning the addresses.

If you haven't read between the lines, this issue is not going away. You did nothing wrong.

It could be a number of causes such as a driver bug that doesn't handle coming out of hibernate or someone that used one of the too many to note here connect to your neighbor's network tools.

If rebooting works, let's use that.

Collapse -
Thank you
by Learner7 / May 25, 2013 2:02 AM PDT

As the message has not come up again, I think I will leave well alone. I have in the past got myself in such a mess trying to sort out technical things, at nearly 80 years, I don't have the inclination to be a wireless techie ! Thanks for all your explanations.

By the way, although I have ticked the box each time for my query to be tracked, I have never been notified, so I have left the page on the browser, and just refreshed it each time to get the answers, or otherwise I can't find it. It has been like this every since I had this new computer.

Collapse -
Same here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2013 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

I'll send a note to who I know about the tracking.

Collapse -
Thanks again
by Learner7 / May 25, 2013 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Same here.

Most grateful, thank you.

Collapse -
Re: IP address conflict
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 25, 2013 1:57 AM PDT
In reply to: IP Address Conflict

Hibernate is a good idea. But it seems it doesn't work so well when you turn the modem off while it's hibernated. So just leave the modem on, and I expect it won't happen again.

Unless you're an energy control freak, you can leave it on during the night also. But, of course, if you don't mind it needs a few minutes to start up and reconnect to your ISP, turning off the modem is OK when your PC is turned off.

Collapse -
Thank you
by Learner7 / May 25, 2013 5:05 AM PDT

Thank you for this information. Yes I do watch the pennies over the electricity very carefully ! Normally I do not turn the modem off until the computer is switched off, so maybe that caused the message to come up.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.