PC Applications forum

Question

iolo System Mechanic, anyone hate it?

by markdoble / July 23, 2012 11:54 PM PDT

I have a Vista system and a Windows 7 system. Using System Mechanic on both. The program stripped vital dll files, corrupted Windows Installer, renders other programs inoperable.

iolo responded that their engineers are aware of the problem and are working on it.

That's wonderful. I didn't know I was using a beta version. In the meantime, my computers are corrupted. System restore won't operate due to corrupted system files.

Any others experiencing anything like this?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: iolo System Mechanic, anyone hate it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: iolo System Mechanic, anyone hate it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
None of the moderators seem to have this issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2012 1:20 AM PDT

But then again, almost all of them don't use this sort of software.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
I do
by no136 / August 5, 2012 12:12 AM PDT

I think your best option would be to get a qualified computer engineer to look at this and get them to repair it, rather than trying to go through the process with iolo.

My experience with iolo support tends to be they will take a long time to respond, and they won't fully answer the question that you ask. It's no wonder they don't have a support forum or people would constantly be pointing out the flaws/fraud in their software.

Collapse -
Answer
about that System mechanic
by gowireless / August 25, 2012 8:45 AM PDT

I was using that utility, after a while the Windows update function began failing, other computer functions began experiencing strange problems, after a while I was getting error messages about System Mechanic itself, it could not find certain files etc, maybe it was deleting its own files in the registry?

Final outcome, had to format the hard drive and re-install Win 7, I don't use that software anymore. Now that I don't use that stuff my PC runs well.

Collapse -
Answer
I'll let you decide how I feel about it
by philoso4 / December 11, 2012 2:01 AM PST

I bought a new Dell Inspiron, Windows 8 OS. Installed a solid state drive and put the OS on it, with help from Dell advisers.
Everything was working beautifully.
After reading reviews of System Mechanic Pro 11 in CNET and elsewhere I bought it and installed it. Its initial scan decided that changes needed to be made in several areas. Registry, etc. I gave it permission, it said it cleaned everything up, and that it needed to reboot the computer. (The phrase was highlighted so that a click on it would reboot.)
The system went into reboot mode but wouldn't boot because, the screen said, there was no drive to boot from.
If you guess that I was disappointed, then you are waaay underestimating my concern.
But iolo has a help line which I called, being certain that they could clear it up.
The tech adviser said that System Mechanic could not have been at fault, that it was clearly a hardware failure. After some fruitless discussion with the tech, I asked to speak with a supervisor. One finally came on board. He essentially told me that I knew nothing about computers and with his knowledge he was certain that hardware had failed, but that for 'only' $139 iolo would send someone out to fix the problem. I will not bother to quote my response.
I called Dell support and they were successful in guiding me through reinstalling the OS on the perfectly good hardware.
I then called iolo, spoke with the same supervisor, and asked to speak with HIS supervisor. They simply put me on hold until I gave up. You can decide whether I hate SM (and iolo).

Collapse -
About the system mechanic pro
by Shripad09 / July 12, 2015 12:36 AM PDT

I am also feeling the same about the futility of the tall claims to keep the PC clean and healthy.

Collapse -
Answer
Yes
by jimbailey123 / May 11, 2013 10:26 PM PDT

Big problems with most Restore Points disappearing except recent Win update automatic, Restore points failing to restore regardless, problems with IE 9/10 not starting, with Win Live Mail emails with hyperlinks refusing to work, freezing programs, with menu pull downs having to be clicked multiple times before stabilising and sometimes not at all. Google Chrome works okay. Win Live Mail seems to work okay, but not hyperlinks presumably because IE is not working properly. MS Fixit fails miserably, repeatedly. I've paid for System Mechanic for years ahead, but beginning to suspect that I've been sold a pup. PC Tune-Up doesn't fix anything either. So what good are they if they cannot keep the system going properly as their advertising spiels claim they will? Booooo....

Collapse -
Answer
Problems I faced with the software
by Shripad09 / July 12, 2015 12:27 AM PDT

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop and I went ahead and purchased the system mechanic pro 14.5. After installing, I thought I will really have a sigh of relief that my PC will be really fast but in vain. I am using windows 7 version and there is absolutely no gain after loading the software. It takes such a long time (about 3 min) to open the shortcut for which I wrote to their customer support who adviced me to uninstall the software using a third party uninstaller and re-install the same. I did it but still the problem continues. If opening the system mechanic window itself takes a long time how is it expected that the whole PC will run faster? As far as system clutter is concerned, it is supposed to automatically clear it but every time I need to clear it manually. Same thing is true for the memory. Earlier I was using Kaspersky which never posed me any problems but I had to uninstall it due to conflict. Any solutions to my problems?

Collapse -
Any solutions to your problems?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 12, 2015 1:27 AM PDT

Yes.

Ditch System Mechanic Pro, and ditch anything from IOLO. The experience we see from many, many posts here in these forums is that IOLO products do nothing to improve/repair systems.

Uninstall it.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.