PC Applications forum

General discussion

Inventory software for DVD's, Audio-books, VHS tapes.

by Eddieem / September 25, 2007 6:56 AM PDT

I'm looking for software to keep track of my collections of the above types of items and be able to get a print out. I know years ago there were some that you could enter the ISBN number and it would either import into the program giving title, author, and a short description of the story or get the publisher and go to their website and possibly get the info by copy and paste into the form. Naturally I'm looking for something that I won't have to go to each item and type it in myself, otherwise I'd be here until the DVD Format goes out of style at my rate of typing. HOPE THIS IS RIGHT FORUM TO USE AND THANKS FOR ANY HELP. Ed

P.S. :(No or low cost would be ideal.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Inventory software for DVD's, Audio-books, VHS tapes.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Inventory software for DVD's, Audio-books, VHS tapes.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Collectorz.com
by SuperMA5TER / September 25, 2007 7:02 AM PDT

Goto the above website. They offer software which have the features you need. Its not free though. But you can try it on a trial basis.

Collapse -
I also have found
by PudgyOne / September 26, 2007 2:16 AM PDT

That if you have Excel or Open Office, which is FREE

I believe you'd want to read this.

Rick

Collapse -
A Nifty Inventory Tool For DVD Collection
by ewramos / October 5, 2007 2:26 PM PDT

I use a little ditty called DVD Profiler 3 from Inveolos Software. Find out more here; http://www.invelos.com/

You enter the DVD's UPC code and 'BAM!' all info is available including cover Art.

I have 300+ DVD's and we recently moved and I had to recreate my Inventory due to unforseen circumstances. It took only 5 hrs. to enter and verify all of them.

HIGHLY reconend yjis product. Many mor features than can be listed here.

Collapse -
No free but very good
by tanker12uk / October 5, 2007 10:18 PM PDT

Hi I have been useing a program from Bolide software called All my Movies and have found it very good it will also do cd's games Vhs and vcd its not free but it is updated by the company it links into imdb and amazon and has a nice interface it will export into excel or a text file and you can make backups I have been useing it for a year or so and find it simple to use and update it will show as much detail as you want including covers and screen shots if your intrested the link is below
http://www.bolidesoft.com/

cheers
Tanker

Collapse -
Inventory software for DVD's, Audio-books, VHS tapes
by ehknapp / October 6, 2007 4:17 AM PDT

I had the same problem several years ago, tried half-a-dozen or more programs (both freeware and shareware), and found those produced by FNProgramvare to be the best (for me at least). This is a small company in Norway whose programs (all in English) include BookCAT (for books), CATVids (for DVDs, VHS, Laserdisc, etc.), and CATraxx (for CDs, LPs, and other music formats). They are very powerful, extremely flexible, and customizable, and technical support is outstanding (I have often received a response to a question within hours). Not free, but free to try, and cost for full versions is modest (with discounts for purchasing multiple products). This may be more than you want, or need, but check out their site at fnprg.com, and also their Community Forums.

I should add that of all the programs I have on my computer, I enjoy working with these the most!

Collapse -
Be wary of online databases
by citymars / October 9, 2007 1:16 AM PDT

There was a free site (actually promoted in a New York Times article) called guzzlefish.com. I kept track of all my movies there, as well as video games. I have a huge collection, so I put a lot of time into it. I also helped the site by adding data.

Then the site disappeared. No warnings or apologies. All that data lost.

I know you are looking for software for your own PC, but I thought I'd throw in this cautionary tale nevertheless.

Collapse -
Guzzlefish.com Revisited
by ewramos / October 9, 2007 3:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
Guzzlefish.com Revisited - thanks
by citymars / October 26, 2007 6:08 AM PDT

Thanks, Ed. It never occurred to me before to try a web archive. At the moment I'm not able to get to that site, but I'll try again later.

Regards from NYC,
- Larry ("citymars")

Collapse -
Tools from Bolide Software
by maxic1 / March 20, 2009 7:07 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.