Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Invalid IP address

by pamlo / January 8, 2010 1:48 PM PST

Hi, I hope someone can help me! I've read the postings here and tried a lot of things (about 8 hours worth) but can't get my desktop to connect to the internet.

I was "optimizing" my computer by removing start up features and services and cleaning the registry with a utility when the problem began. Didn't do anything I didn't do to the laptop recently and its performance is amazingly improved.

I have:

HP Pavilion Media Center PC

Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2

Encore Electronics Wireless USB Adapter 802.11g

2Wire router

Two other computers are connecting to the Internet just fine using the wireless network: a laptop and a netbook.

I'm getting "limited or no connectivity," "network did not assign a network address to the computer," Renewing IP address," and "invalid IP address" messages.

Have tried the following:

restored original Windows settings
ran WinSock XP fix
downloaded adapter driver again
Disabled and enabled adapter
Copied network configurations from laptop by router to flash drive and inserted in PC USB port
tried "repair"
Run ipconfig/renew
Run ipconfig/release

Thank you very much for any suggestions. I'm going nuts!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Invalid IP address
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Invalid IP address
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I didn't see . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 8, 2010 9:42 PM PST
In reply to: Invalid IP address

where you ran the Network Setup Wizard.

Collapse -
Thanks and did run...
by pamlo / January 9, 2010 12:09 AM PST
In reply to: I didn't see . . .

the wireless and network set-up wizards. From laptop connected to router I could see new netbook and the laptop on the wireless network but not the PC with the USB wireless adapter. Ran the network wizard from the PC, should I run it from the laptop instead? Not sure how much it matters which computer the wizards are run on. Please advise on that and what I should be looking for when running the network wizard. Thanks so much for replying!

Collapse -
You run the Wizard . . .
by Coryphaeus / January 9, 2010 6:09 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks and did run...

on each machine.

USB adapters are not reliable for Networking. Just the way it is. You need to install a PCI wireless card in the desktop. Then run the Network Setup Wizard.

Collapse -
Will do, thank you!
by pamlo / January 9, 2010 1:38 PM PST

I'll try running the network set up wizard, so I can hopefully get back online with the PC, AND I'll get a PCI wireless card for it! Any tips when running the network set up wizard? I didn't use it on my new netbook (installed the wireless network settings fromn the laptop by the router) and I'm getting online no problem. Glad these forums are here, thanks. And I love looking up editor and consumer reviews of equipment on CNET.

Collapse -
Can't complete network set up wizard
by pamlo / January 10, 2010 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: Will do, thank you!

Ran the wizard on my PC (the one I'm trying to restore the internet connection to)and the netbook. Couldn't complete it on the laptop that's connected to router. From laptop could see shared folders for laptop and netbook. Sez error during configuration. Configure manually or run wizard with different settings.

Am I in a catch 22 where I need to run network set up wizard to get PC back online but I can't complete the wizard unless all computers I want in the network are online? Thanks!

Collapse -
Fingers crossed, I think I fixed it!
by pamlo / January 10, 2010 7:10 AM PST

Reviewed "Manually add a wireless network to the Preferred Network List" in HP Total Care:

Enabled Windows Zero Configuration (instead of using my adapter's software)
Entered network key
Selected Any available network (instead of infrastructure)

I'm back online with my adapter. Still want to replace it with a wireless card...

Thanks again!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.