Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

invalid inf file

by steve l / August 9, 2005 7:13 AM PDT

Please can some one help I have downloaded a microsoft update which as made my pc so slow I and cant really use the internet the update named Q831167 is in add & remove programmes but when i try to remove it i just get a message invalid inf file how can i get rid of it please any ideas.

Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: invalid inf file
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: invalid inf file
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try the MS uninstaller
by TONI H / August 9, 2005 8:40 AM PDT
In reply to: invalid inf file;en-us;290301

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility can be downloaded from the above link and it will remove installed programs that can't be uninstalled from the Add-Remove Programs List because you don't have the cd anymore or because the program itself can't locate its uninstall file info.

There is one version of this utility available for individual windows versions from W95, W98, ME, NT 4.0, 2K, XP, and Server 2003. Direct download can be reached at this link:

Collapse -
Thanks Toni
by steve l / August 10, 2005 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Try the MS uninstaller

Thanks Toni but it didnt work mate it showed a list of what I could uninstall and this internet explorer Q831167 was not in there thanks anyway.

Collapse -
Not sure if ME is the same way as W98SE
by TONI H / August 10, 2005 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Toni

but try going to Start\Programs\Accessories\System Tools and then System Info. Once there, click Tools at the toolbar, then Windows Update Wizard Uninstaller from the menu and see if it's listed there. If it is, you should be able to uninstall it from that program instead.

Collapse -
Tried your idea Toni
by steve l / August 11, 2005 5:05 AM PDT

But i just got a message saying (no packages available for uninstall) good try though cheers mate

Collapse -
Go to the MSKB
by TONI H / August 11, 2005 10:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Tried your idea Toni

and do a search on that particular Q or KB number....most of those hotfixes have instructions regarding installation that includes information about how to uninstall them, unless once installed that cannot be uninstalled and this may be one of those items.

Since so much about the update center keeps changing, have you checked in the C:/Windows folder to see if there are any $N....... type folders listed (this is how XP works at least and not sure about W98SE or ME now). Those folders hold the uninstall information regarding all the hotfixes with a folder for each one downloaded and installed. Nearly all of them include a direct URL shortcut to the MS site regarding that particular hotfix.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.