Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Invalid Handle error

by glennsa / March 8, 2007 9:21 PM PST

I just purchased an HP Photosmart All in One Printer 6180. I hooked this
printer up to my wireless network at home. It connects fine, gets an ip and
does all its functions normally expect one. This printer has card slots. When
you insert a card, it is support to come up in COMPUTER as a drive and you
are supposed to be able to access it there. Well, it does come up as drive Z.
I double click on that drive and it says, "Drive Z is not accessible, the
handle is invalid". I noticed that if i do properties of that drive, it shows
accurate info as far as free and used space. So, im assuming it knows its
there but it just wont let me access it. I went to the run line and typed
\\"ip of printer"\Memory_Card like HP told me to, it then gave me a very
similar error to the first one. It said " \\"ip of printer"\Memory_Card is
inaccessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
Contact the administrator to see if you have correct permissions"
I do have admin rights on this computer.
Can any give me a hand in solving this issue??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Invalid Handle error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Invalid Handle error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by joebowls / March 28, 2007 2:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Invalid Handle error

Hey Glenn,

I'm running into this same issue. Where did you obtain the driver and how large was the file?

Collapse -
VISTA HP Printer
by paf1234 / April 18, 2007 4:24 AM PDT

I have the same setup and problem - how did you get yours fixed???

Collapse -
z:\ The handle Is Invalid
by jedders26 / June 10, 2007 1:56 AM PDT

Ho there...

Sorry you guys seem to be having this trouble too - I have a C7180 and exactly the same is happening - works fine installed using XP drivers from HP site on my wife's laptop, but the same old story applies when using the Vista driver for me. It's very annoying as the facility is an excellent one (so my wife keeps reminding me!!). No luck with HP, they simply referred me to a number of troubleshooting pages which even if you read between the lines gives not even the faintest glimmer of hope of a resolution. After playing and increasingly frustrating game of email Ping-Pong with HP yesterday, they have assured me that their R&D department are looking in to this. To be honest, I don't hold much hope in a resolution from HP this way, but can only dream that the fix will be provided in a later driver edition.

There is a Hotfix available on the HP web site now, but this did not resolve my issue, which is the same as the one which you are experiencing.

What is even more annoying is that the size of the XP driver is significantly larger than the Vista one and when you use the share features on the printer, the XP drivers give so much more functionality, but the Vista driver just dumps you in to HP Photosmart Essential evey time.

Scanning and printing.... great - additional features - I wouldn't know.

If anyone else has had any luck in resolving this issue I would be really grateful indeed to learn how.

All the best

Collapse -
it worked before
by DinyaS / June 18, 2007 4:49 AM PDT

it worked before.. for the first time i was getting another error,but the i installed that hot fix and solved the problem i had total access to my memory cards. Now i got this z:\ The handle Is Invalid
i have no idea how did it happened i think that sharing settings in vista causing this problem maybe not. because i did change something in there can't remember what i've changed. i'll post here soon, maybe... if of course i'll find the way how to fix it.

Collapse -
Invalid handle
by humblum / July 2, 2007 7:29 AM PDT

I have the same problem with the HP 3210 on all my Vista PCs.

However I came over a workaround which suggests that it shouldn?t be a huge problem for HP to fix.
By chance I ran Total Commander (v 6.56) and it recognises, reads and writes from the cards like a charm.
Perhaps you could mention this to HP. It might speed up their R&D a little (I wish).

Collapse -
My Handle is Still Invalid!
by jedders26 / July 7, 2007 7:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Invalid handle

Hi there... Thanks ever so much for this very useful information - I tried it and it does indeed work. However, I pointed out this fact to HP - I even gave them 'idiot' proof links to this forum and to download the Total Commander app to see it with their own eyes. They seemed about as interested in this as placing their heads in gas ovens and pressing the ignition switch. My rationale is that if this TC app works, and I'm an administrator with max rights and you follow the installation steps to the letter and all other OS features work for my other networked drives, surely this responsibility lies with HP! Can they see this? Nope!

What I found interesting was that they asked me to switch off my firewall and AV and then install from the Web choosing 'Run' from the download link!! I questioned this and was told that they could only offer further help if I followed the recommended solution. As a workaround, I followed this to a point where I had the app ready to run, then disabled by Internet Connection and then disabled the firewall/AV. However, as you can all no doubt appreciate, this did not fix the issue.

Thanks again to all for your input and hopefully one of us will stumble across a fix sooer or later. I can't see HP helping much more.

Collapse -
My Handle is Still Invalid!
by jedders26 / July 7, 2007 10:53 PM PDT

Further to my earlier post, I have also been exchanging emails again with HP today - we have come full circle and they have pointed me back to the Troubleshooting app and an on line help page which we have probably all found previously. I doubt that HP's R&D section are too bothered about this issue.. after all, they've got our money already.

Keep the ideas coming everyone - we must work towards a solution to help HP out!

Collapse -
Memory Card wont read
by kjjones5 / July 10, 2007 5:42 AM PDT

Add me to the list. Went a round with HP support today, ended with them wanting me to reinstall the printer software. Mine is a Photosmart 3310 being accessed via an Ad-Hoc network by an HP8207US laptop. Photosmart Essential will fire up when the 3310 is asked to upload photos, but then you can't get them. You can map to the card, but like others can't get the data (but can get properties of the card).

I have applied the fix HP has for this (released on 4/9/07), but no joy. Tried reapplying it just in case and get a msg saying that "The update does not apply to your system". Hopefully that means it applied OK the first time, but in any case it didn't fix much.

I recommend that others harass HP, maybe it will help. As for now I don't really need this function, but it would be nice. Per the HP rep I am now on the standard notification list in case (when?!) another fix is released for my printer.

Collapse -
Same problem
by Ajaxio / July 26, 2007 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Memory Card wont read

Same issue here.

Did spent one hour chatting with a HP technician and she was not (yeah right) aware of the issue. Found out this post after. All VISTA users are probably experiencing this issue.

Collapse -
Invalid handle error
by cannonr2005 / August 12, 2007 6:35 AM PDT

Has anyone solved this issue yet ? I have the same problem. I use Vista home premium and installed HP vista drivers and Hotfix patch to no avail.

If anyone has received any help from HP please pass it on.

Collapse -
Invalid Handle Error
by jedders26 / August 12, 2007 7:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Invalid handle error

Hi Richard

unfortunately no information or further advise from HP - not good enough really as these printers are not cheap to purchase or run, so a working driver for an OS that's been out for some time now is really not too much to ask.

Any updates or further advice always welcome...

On the one hand, I'm glad I'm not alone, but on the other - HP seem to have swept this under the carpet.

Collapse -
Good luck
by cannonr2005 / August 14, 2007 7:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Invalid Handle Error

Thanks for the reply,
I have had other incompatabilities with Vista in the 1 week since i bought my wife her laptop. I had promised her it could do everything the old PC could but it can't because some of the applications she uses dont work eg Kodak easyshare easy web upload doesnt seem to work with vista. It also seems quite slow running Vista, i thought with the dual core processor it should make the OS run quite quick but i guess Vista is a big resource hog.

SO..I am giving up and reinstalling XP on the laptop. Its a shame as i liked some of the Vista features.

Good luck with resolving this issue.

Collapse -
by Ajaxio / August 14, 2007 9:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Good luck

Don't know who is to shame, Vista or HP...

Anyhow, you are not the only one who took the decision to revert back to XP.

Vista suck. Simple as that.

Collapse -
Z: is not accessible. The handle is invalid. HP L7780 AIO
by robholding / August 22, 2007 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista

Same problem here. I have L7780 All-In-One. I spent 1h on the phone to support today with no sucess. HP told me they would call back but didnt. I have had other problems with HP products and their customer service is shockingly bad!!!
I only found this thred while looking to fix thw problem myself.
My sympathy to all affected :o(
Fingers crossed they sort it. I will email support (not that it I think it will help)

Collapse -
Here's the Scoop
by joebowls / August 22, 2007 6:52 AM PDT

HP released a patch on the driver page for your respective printer. That resolved the issue for me and my HP 3310. HOWEVER...if this does not work there is a rather simple work around if you know how to map a network drive.

If you put a card in the memory card reader and map a network drive to a level lower than the drive letter, see below:

**Bare with me, I am doing this off of memory with nothing in front of me**

a ) If you right click on my computer and select 'Map Network Drive' and click on the drop down menu for the drive letter, it should give you the path that Z is pointing to ( EX: \\AB123456\something ).

b ) Write that down, copy it, whatever...

c ) Select an unused drive letter and in the Folder part, enter the same path but append DCIM to it ( EX: \\AB123456\something\DCIM ) and click OK.

This is a work around I came up with and works just fine. So first, hit up the driver page for your printer on If that doesn't work, try my work around. When I get home tonight and if I remember, I'll try to make a better step by step guide.

Happy Trails,

Collapse -
by robholding / August 22, 2007 7:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's the Scoop

That is great!!!
It worked for me...(I'm refering to the joebowls work around)
I can now read my memory cards in the printers card reader!!

I had already tried the Patch from HP, but that didn't fix the problem hence me spending 1h on the phone to them.

I would sugest that this work around would work for other people and printers too. Has anyone tried?

Im using Vista.

1.Go to start menu and open Computer (my computer)
2.When the window opens, you should see the Tools menu at the top.
(If you can't see the menu, press the Alt button)
3.In the tools menu, select Map Network Drive... This will open another window.
4.Locate the card reader under the Drive drop down menu and make a note of the drives path (on MY computer it's \\HP0017a42f0b42\memory_card
5.Now, select an un-used drive letter from the drop down menu (This is going to be the new drive letter for accessing the drive).
6.In the Folder: menu type the drive path you noted down earlier but append \DCIM to it in MY case \\HP0017a42f0b42\memory_card\DCIM
7.Click finish. Et Voila. You should now be able to access the Card reader under the new drive letter you just assigned to it.

All credit must go to joebowls. Thank you for your great post.
Lets hope HP pull their finger out and create a proper fix.

Collapse -
It really is working.... Fantastic
by jedders26 / August 22, 2007 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: ITS WORKING

Hi all....

This is fantastic news and worked perfectly for me. It's such a relief. No doubt there will be some happier HP users with this news. It's amazing how this issue can turn in to such a headache isn't it. Regardless of which model you are using and have this problem with, you can't help feeling that the product is incomplete without its full functionality - I feel less robbed by HP now that we have this solution.

Now, HP, how hard can it be to fix the driver to incorporate this change to the default drive map to make this and other affected models a great out of the box product. I'm just stunned that HP's solution is to ignore this issue.

Thanks again to joebowls and robholding for the postings.... Just brilliant news.

Collapse -
HP called me back!
by robholding / August 22, 2007 7:15 PM PDT

HP called me back! I am on the phone to them as I type.
I told them about this Forum and also about the Work Round.

They told me that the the are working on a new Vista driver and it should be ready in 15-20 days. This should fis the problem.

The guy on the phone also told me that when the new driver is released, he will call me back again to do the re-install.

This is the sort of customer service HP should have all the time!!

So...we wait. I will post here again when I see the new driver on the HP website. Or I have installed it myself with or without sucess.

Collapse -
HP Sloooooow
by rickydg / February 3, 2008 4:37 AM PST
In reply to: HP called me back!

Still no fix from hp, but this workaround worked for me too!

Collapse -
Update - no solution
by angelalordi / August 8, 2008 1:47 PM PDT
In reply to: HP Sloooooow

Just to keep things current...

HP support had nothing for this on 8/8/2008. And I have the very latest drivers, because I had the famed "disappearing driver" problem, which may be fixed. Maybe. The "DCIM" workaround works here, but of course only for cards with another folder at the top-level, which is not always true or desired. This is clearly a firmware bug in the printer, which is not likely to get fixed.

Collapse -
by larrypatrickjohnson / March 25, 2011 8:13 AM PDT

For whatever reason, windows 7 security does NOT allow access to the root of the memory_card, however you can access the DCIM directory using the unc

your address will be different. You need to know what the IP or dns name is for the first part. HP uses memory_card as the share name, but nearly all cameras use the dcim director.

Good luck,
remove the AT and the ~ if you wanna contact me directly

Collapse -
Couple of quick notes.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 25, 2011 8:22 AM PDT

You are replying to a post made in 2007. I would guess that poster has moved on now.

Also, your email address. There is no need for anyone to contact you and it is not recommended. These forums do not permit solicitation for business anyway and no-one can be sure that this is not what is being offered or suggested.

Collapse -
by Kevin__Mitnick / December 11, 2012 11:31 AM PST

Okay so after reading this thread I am thinking, WOW there are a lot of people at HP that have ZERO CLUE..
Of course they are most likely from India... anyhow I lost my HP job doing helpdesk to someone overseas in India.

I think it's because I began learning too much and got too many certifications ..... too useful.. BAIL ME OUT!

Way off topic but I thought I'd add to the already lack luster reputation of HP.

Here's the fix:
in vista/7 :
hold window key press R
(click START>RUN) if you don't have run enabled in start menu then click start and in "search bar" type
BUZZ!! doesn't work.
To fix:
type \ip.add.of.printer\memory_card\DCIM
You are now in business without even mapping.
If you want to map it simply right click the folder you see and select "map network drive"
for me it was "101HPAIO"

So here's the skinny:

1)This has NOTHING at all to do with drivers or ANY software known to man. PERIOD. Folks, we are talking about a network browse from one machine to another... PERIOD.

2)This has EVERYTHING to do with which areas of the SHARE can be written to and also how Vista/7 exploit communications to shares.

3)You cannot connect to the ROOT, but you CAN connect to anything beyond that. Why? See below.

Don't believe me? Buy a blank hard drive. Put it in your computer. Install XP Pro.
hold down window key and press R (or click start>run)
at the run prompt input this:
(where is the IP address of your printer)

Now remember, you've installed nothing, no patches, not a single driver, etc...
You can't even print to the thing yet!!!
But wait here you are looking at all of the scans on your printer's memory card ? HOW?
Well because it publishes that card as a shared volume (CIFS) across your LAN.

Now, enter vista... Basically it's both HP and Microsoft's fault.
HP: Can't be totally blamed. At the time the printer was made (and the way they wrote the firmware design for network sharing) Vista didn't exist, therefore they couldn't foresee the changes in way user's machines would try to browse the share.

Visat and 7 are identical in this fashion. They are incapable of doing what's called an anonymous network communication. In other words, there is such a network user as "anonymous" It's technically NOT a user account it's a method of net share authentication.

If you can pretend that the printer is an XP workstation for a second:
Let's say you have a folder "memory_card" and you decide to share it.
When you setup this share there are two aspects for permissions.
1-the share permission itself
2-the NTFS permissions
Now the printer does NOT share in this way but work with me here...
The problem is the same as if this printer shared using NO credentials and READ ONLY for the share but the NTFS portion from root down had "authenticaed users"

When an XP box browses to the root, it's doing so without providing any credendtials. It's simply throwing a path request. When a vista/7 box tries to browse to it, it does two things, 1 it tries to secure the connection, then it fails and falls back to an authenticated connection. If you specify nothing it will use the account your logged in as. If you choose to map the browse and select "use other credentials" no matter what you use, it's going to try and ask the printer to authenticate. The problem is, the way they designed the printer, it doesn't share that way. (NFS)
It shares using CIFS. So when you try to hit root, you're providing credentials. Since the printer ignores this (BUT STILL OFFERS ACCESS) It's windows 7 that rejects the offered folder. It feels it's contents cannot be trusted.
For your protection it's blocking the access. Invalid handle is a reflection of this. The transaction handle was not of the type 7 accepts.

Don't be mad. This is protecting you from a lot of things namely a DoS attack.
Now why then if you add DCIM does it work?
Simple, because now you've gone beyond the "C$" portion of the share and are in the logical portion of the share.
This is something tangible that 7/vista can deal with.
It now has source info that it can "trust" because THERE in DCIM it sees "permissions"
If HP had made the share to include IDENTICAL "permissions" on both the root string (C$ equivalent which is "memory_card") or Microsoft had relaxed security on network communications then this would not have happened.

Collapse -
(NT) Old Thread... Time To Lock This One...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 12, 2012 8:57 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.