Site Feedback forum

General discussion

Introducing CNET TechTracker Plus

by Aaron.Smith / September 7, 2010 8:53 AM PDT

I?m Aaron Smith, and I?m the product manager for CNET Downloads. Today I get the pleasure of writing about something that the CNET team built -- a brand new software product called CNET TechTracker Plus. This is an upgrade from CNET TechTracker, our free application that keeps software up-to-date. Since we launched TechTracker about a year ago, it has become wildly popular. People recognize that keeping software up-to-date is important and that it improves security, fixes bugs, and gives you the latest features. With today?s launch of TechTracker Plus, we are going beyond updates to give you a more complete way to manage software.

TechTracker Plus lets you perform installs, uninstalls, updates, and downloads all in one place. We?ve also added some TechTracker Plus features to CNET Downloads web pages?these features streamline installs and are visible only to TechTracker Plus customers. Our goal was to leverage the power of the CNET Downloads software catalog ? the largest catalog of its kind ? for more than just software updates and downloads.

If you aren?t yet using CNET TechTracker for your updates, we?ve recently given it a facelift so now would be a good time to check it out ( And, if you?re ready to go beyond software updates, check out CNET TechTracker Plus (! We?ve released it with a special introductory price of $19.99. We at CNET Downloads are really proud of what we launched today.

It has been a lot of hard work, but completely worth it. I am honored to be a part of this team. We all sincerely hope that CNET TechTracker Plus makes managing your software easier.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Introducing CNET TechTracker Plus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Introducing CNET TechTracker Plus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Software won't recognize my PC
by clubbo / September 8, 2010 12:13 PM PDT

Have uninstalled and reinstalled TechTracker several times. Also purchased Plus. Keep receiving same message. Your CNET TechTracker account does not have any computers assigned to it. You must add a computer to your account in order to view scan results. To add a computer to your account, download and install CNET TechTracker on that computer.

Am running Windows 7. Have been using VersionTracker Pro for years. Please advise.

Collapse -
RE: Software won't recognize my PC
by Aaron.Smith / September 9, 2010 2:50 AM PDT

Hi clubbo,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with TechTracker Plus. I'm forwarding your information to our support team, and they should be in touch shortly with additional information. I appreciate your patience as we address your issue.

Aaron Smith
Product Manager
CNET TechTracker

Collapse -
We're fixed!
by CNET_TechTracker / September 10, 2010 7:36 AM PDT

Thank you, Aaron!

clubbo's all fixed now.

Collapse -
Having the same issue as Clubbo
by steve654 / December 5, 2010 9:41 AM PST

Have uninstalled and reinstalled TechTracker several times. Also purchased Plus. Keep receiving same message. Your CNET TechTracker account does not have any computers assigned to it. You must add a computer to your account in order to view scan results. To add a computer to your account, download and install CNET TechTracker on that computer.

Collapse -
TechTracker website won't recognize my PC
by steve654 / December 22, 2010 9:13 AM PST

Having the same problem as Clubbo. I have three different support tickets open since early December, and a post that went unanswered below. Sorry I paid the $20 for software that I cannot use. I have filed a complaint with the BBB. Maybe they can help me get a response.

Collapse -
Your software has two setup problems
by groucho7 / September 12, 2010 6:55 AM PDT

Congratulations on both the free version of TechTracker and the commercial one. However, your TechTracker setup file has two problems: first, it tries to tempt you into installing IMVU, which you don't know, don't want, and don't need; second, it does not let you choose the installation folder. For this last reason, I have uninstalled TechTracker from my computer. Let us hope you fix these issues soon so I can join you again. Thanks.

Collapse -
Previous version bad experience
by rm76 / September 23, 2010 5:05 AM PDT

I purchased and ran the original TechTracker Plus several years back in good faith that updates would remain available. However, to my dismay I was unable to continue using it as the program was never updated for Vista compatibility. Once bitten, twice shy, I am not planning on paying again for a program that didn't provide services as promised the first time around.

Collapse -
TechTracker bugs
by groucho7 / September 23, 2010 5:26 AM PDT

Well, after the last two messages, isn't it time for Aaron to address our complaints? Thanks.

Collapse -
TechTracker bugs...
by Aaron.Smith / September 23, 2010 5:55 AM PDT
In reply to: TechTracker bugs

Hi groucho7,

The reason you can't choose the installation path for the TechTracker client application has to do with how the application works on your computer. We need it to be in the same location for it to work properly. This is just one of the hurdles we've encountered while building the product.

As for the comment about "the original TechTracker Plus several years back", I'm not really sure what the user is referring to. It may be the old VersionTracker Pro software, which has since been retired. Rest assured, TechTracker works on Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7, and we'll continue to update it to maintain compatibility.

I hope this information helps. Thanks for visiting CNET and using the product. We appreciate feedback from users like you who care about our products and want to help make them better!

Collapse -
Yes it was....
by rm76 / September 23, 2010 4:26 PM PDT
In reply to: TechTracker bugs...

Yes, indeed it was the old techtracker pro that I was referring to.

My point was that after paying for a tech tracker pro level program that was later retired, which didn't provide the promised services, I felt that I had been cheated through having only partial of a program for which I had paid. Probably due to the plans to retire it, my experience with adequate and timely updates was spotty at best and dismal much of the time.

So, if you paid for a program once that you thought would last you for years and found that it didn't you would probably be leery of paying for a "new and improved" version would you not?

Collapse -
VersionTracker Pro...
by John.Wilkinson / September 23, 2010 10:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes it was....

TechTracker Plus's predecessor was actually called VersionTracker Pro, which was developed by a third-party before being acquired by CNET in 2007. Unfortunately, its development and support was largely lacking after CNET's acquisition, something that at one time led me to believe the service had been unofficially retired without replacement. Thankfully, this has proven not to be the case with the emergence of TechTracker, a refreshing spinoff of the old update application.

Regardless, I should note that both VersionTracker Pro and TechTracker Plus were designed as subscription services. Be aware that this means you will receive 1 year of service and updates, after which TechTracker Plus, like its VersionTracker Pro predecessor, will cease to provide its full services unless you renew your subscription.

Collapse -
Installation path
by groucho7 / September 24, 2010 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: TechTracker bugs...

Hello Aaron, if you can't design a program that lets its user choose its installation path, and that does not try to trick him into installing software that he does not want, you wind up with all the complaints and bad feelings that you see on this page. You may wish to think this over and redesign your TechTracker. Thanks.

Collapse -
TechTracker Plus--Yucch!
by weather-guy / September 23, 2010 7:36 AM PDT

I got your email for TechTracker Plus+ today. Even though I had deleted it from my system (Win7) several months ago, because it worked so poorly, I thought I'd give you another chance.

Well, I think I was wrong to spend the time. The time I'm spending making this comment is probably lost time as well. Big companies, with highly paid employees, don't want to hear that their efforts have gone so wrong. So, this comment should never see the light of day.

First, F.B. Reader, you are still marking it as needing fixing (I already have 0.12.10) after you fixed it for me six months ago. Today marks a new low. You marked my TechTracker Plus+, which I had just finished installing as bad. So I fixed it again using your highly sophisticated "New" software and it "fixed" it. It still thinks it is bad.

Oh, the irony. Well, I'll be using my free Revo Uninstaller to erase it from my system.

Oh, and anyone thinking of spending $20.00 for TechTracker Plus+, the real reason for the email I got announcing the "UPGRADE", don't!

Collapse -
Beta Software
by Aaron.Smith / September 23, 2010 8:33 AM PDT

Hi weather-guy,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with TechTracker Plus. If you think there's something wrong with the application I encourage you to submit a trouble ticket through our support site at

You can also submit errors you find with an individual product (such as the one you encountered with the beta version of FBReader you're running) by clicking the 'Feedback' link next to the name of the product on your My Software page. This is the fastest way to reach our catalog team to address problems you encounter with your scan results, such as a product being marked Out of Date incorrectly.

I hope this information helps. Thanks for using CNET TechTracker!

Collapse -
I just installed Tracker plus...
by scarpoochie / September 23, 2010 8:23 AM PDT

And it's not recognizing my computer. I have installed an uninstalled it a couple of times. At this point, I am becoming frustrated that I just spent 20 dollars for something that's not working!

Can someone help?

Collapse -
Support has been notified...
by Aaron.Smith / September 23, 2010 8:38 AM PDT

Hi scarpoochie,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble getting TechTracker set up, and I can certainly understand your frustration having just purchased the product.

I've notified support and they should be in contact with you soon to assist.

Collapse -
Techtracker Plus
by texascat2 / September 24, 2010 2:21 AM PDT

Well being a new member to your techtracker plus and spending $20 on some thing that won't even log on to the Techtracker web page, I'm beginning to think I just made a $20 mistake. I have tried repeatedly to log on and all I get is.. sorry this page can NOT be found. I'm guessing a refund probably is out of the question.

Collapse -
by texascat2 / September 24, 2010 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Techtracker Plus

Here I am, still waiting. My credit card got approved way faster than anyone responding to this forum.

Collapse -
Support ticket?
by Aaron.Smith / September 24, 2010 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Hello?

Hi texascat2,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. Have you submitted a ticket with out support team by visiting That's the best and fastest way to get assistance with issues related to TechTracker.

We monitor the forums, but it's not typically how we address customer support problems. I've passed your information on to the support team, and they will look in to your issue.

I hope this information helps!

Collapse -
LInk error...
by Aaron.Smith / September 24, 2010 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Support ticket?
Collapse -
by texascat2 / September 24, 2010 7:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Support ticket?

All right! I'm fixed. There was another PC listed under my account, now it's gone. Thanks to Kris for helping me!

Collapse -
CNET TechTracker Plus 'Download Now'
by paulderdash / September 26, 2010 5:12 AM PDT

Just upgraded to TechTracker+. When I select 'Download Now' to update software, it asks me to choose an application. Normally I download using Firefox DownThemAll extension ... I selected firefox.exe but this completely messed things up. Must I install and select a download manager and select this? Personally I wish I could get my money back and go back to the free version which served my purpose ... is there a way of doing this? Would appreciate an answer to both questions. Thanks.

Collapse -
More ...
by paulderdash / September 26, 2010 5:30 AM PDT

Also doesn't take me to a support site? And what does the 'Remember my choice for cbsitt links' mean on the 'Launch application' panel?

Collapse -
Major Revision Needed
by groucho7 / September 26, 2010 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: More ...

After reading all the posts on this forum, it seems to me that your TechTracker could use a major revision. Among other things, its setup program must let the user choose the installation folder and not tempt him or her into uninstalling additional and unwanted software. I hope you agree and make that revision ASAP. Good luck.

Collapse -
Support will assist
by Aaron.Smith / September 27, 2010 1:23 AM PDT

Hi paulderdash,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the application. I've passed your information to our support team, and they will be able to give you hand.

Collapse -
by paulderdash / September 27, 2010 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Support will assist

Thanks Aaron - I await their response. Hopefully soon.

Collapse -
by paulderdash / September 28, 2010 5:41 AM PDT

No response as yet. Basically I just want to go back to the free version - refund or not. I basically can't use CNET now because I get the same 'choose application' problem even if I just link to the application directly. That can't be the intention guys.

Collapse -
license policy
by jc0wan / September 30, 2010 5:21 AM PDT

I've been searching, but I can't find the license terms. Does the $19.99/$29.99 cover up to three computers (similar to the free version) or is it $19.99/$29.99 per computer?

Collapse -
TechTracker Plus License Policy
by TechTracker_Jamie / October 14, 2010 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: license policy

Hello jc0wan,

You are correct. The TechTracker Plus license will cover up to three computers.

CNET TechTracker Support

Collapse -
TechTracker Plus---paid for it but cannot get it
by jimbo1177 / October 6, 2010 3:16 PM PDT

the TechTracker Plus seems like just what I want---so I ordered (and paid for) it. However, when I click on the link to download it and then install it, the only thing that is downloaded and installed is TechTracker 2---not TechTracker Plus.
I have written four times to tech support (with details of every step I too), which, while prompt and seemingly well-intentioned, keeps asking me to click on a "yellow bubble" that is never---after over 20 attempts---there.
Any suggestions out there on how to get TechTracker Plus---this program that seems as elusive as it is marvelous?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.