Forum Announcement

Please don't panic! You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Forum Feedback & Announcements

General discussion

Introducing CNET My Lists!

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / September 24, 2009 / 11:01 AM UTC

I'm happy to announce the launch of CNET My Lists. My Lists allows you to save products and software you find on CNET to lists that you create and name yourself. You can save notes, compare products, share your lists through e-mail and social networks, and create recommendations lists for the CNET community.

You can get started anywhere you see the "Add to my list" link on CNET. Here are a few examples of pages where you can find it:

- CNET Reviews product overview page

- CNET Download.com software title page

- Search results pages

Access your lists from your CNET profile or directly from the My Lists page. From here, you can save notes, move and delete items, share lists with friends, and compare items on a list. You'll also find your Download Watch List on this page.

If you have any feedback, new feature suggestions, or if you find any bugs, please post them to this thread.

Thanks and enjoy!

Message was edited by: admin to remove some text.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Introducing CNET My Lists!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Introducing CNET My Lists!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
CNet My Lists
by JYannucci / October 2, 2009 / 5:19 PM UTC

I enjoy tracker, this new additon seems interesting. Love CNet

Collapse -
TechTracker
by ptfitzy / October 2, 2009 / 7:29 PM UTC
In reply to: CNet My Lists

I found that "TechTracker", would repeatedly tell me I had programs that I had already updated, come up, telling me the same version I had needed updating. I have Windows Vista Home Edition. It got to be a pain.
ptfitzy

Collapse -
TechTracker
by Tucker Green / October 5, 2009 / 4:20 PM UTC
In reply to: TechTracker

Thanks for giving TechTracker app a try. Sorry to hear about the challenges. We'd like to do some troubleshooting. Could you let us know which products and version number you were seeing this on? The thread you posted to is for TechTracker My Lists. Please feel free to post a new thread with a reply.

Tucker Green
CNET Senior Product Manager

Collapse -
Missing icon for TechTracker - not on tool bar
by Bob Patch / November 18, 2009 / 11:58 AM UTC
In reply to: TechTracker

The icon seldom appears on my tool bar - it's there when it wants to be. The message box says it is working, access it thru the icon on the tool bar - BUT IT'S NOT THERE - the icon is MISSING. What am I doing wrong? I have sent many messages regarding my problem, but I have never received any suggestions or answers. I am currently using Windows XP (updated constantly)

Bob Patch

Collapse -
I uninstalled CNET Tracker because...
by bansl / October 2, 2009 / 7:52 PM UTC

...because it would try to replace free versions of software with the full, "free trial" version, that would want me to subscribe or uninstall in 30 days.
Also, when there was a software product to be updated, there was a prickly path on the download page between downloading all of those junkware registry cleaners and make my PC faster software. One wrong click and you would have more trashware on your computer, usually doing more harm than good.
Eventually it all was too much and I uninstalled it. Good idea, but not ready for prime time.

Collapse -
Products you experienced "free trial" with
by Tucker Green / October 5, 2009 / 4:29 PM UTC

Thanks for giving TechTracker app a try. If you can remember, I'd like to know what product or products (including version number) you had the experience you described with. It would be great if you could let us know your OS as well. This information would allow us to do some troubleshooting. The thread you posted too is for TechTracker My Lists. Please feel free to post a new thread with a reply.

Collapse -
Problems with Tracker
by kevinpo / October 10, 2009 / 5:58 AM UTC

It happens with AVG. I subscribe to the free issue and Tracker
was downloading the full version.

Collapse -
Wonderful!
by asources / October 2, 2009 / 7:57 PM UTC

It's a lot better than CNET's software update newsletters (no need for it, so I will unsuscribe). Thank you!

Collapse -
With regard to CNet My Lists,
by Old Dodger / October 3, 2009 / 4:55 AM UTC

On the whole I think TechTracker is pretty good and the My Lists addition could be very useful. However, whilst I appreciate that adding items to lists need to be done through a search to pick up the info from your records, it would be useful to be able to add items that are not on your database, e.g. Revo Uninstaller & System Information for Windows, two very good free applications that I would recommend.
If this facility is there and I'm too thick to see it then please accept my apologies and point me in the right direction.
Happy Days!

Collapse -
Thanks for the feedback
by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / October 4, 2009 / 2:54 PM UTC

You're correct that only items from our catalog can be added to lists at this time. We'll consider expanding the options in future releases. Thanks!

Collapse -
Investing?
by Sattamander / October 3, 2009 / 1:57 PM UTC

Isn't this just a way to see which products people are using or looking to use so that you or your benefactors can decide where to "invest" their money? I know, I am cynical, but it seems Microsoft has been pulling this for years.

Collapse -
Didn't Work
by hughandrew / October 4, 2009 / 5:26 AM UTC

I tried to use the Add to my list function at 08:20 Eastern Daylight Savings Time and it didn't work. I did not get a hand to select and the button didn't react.

Also, I thought that the scan my computer to pick up the software that I am using would be a convenient option but that was not available.

I see this as a convenient tool for me and a profitable marketing survey tool for you.

Hugh

Collapse -
Stil having problems?
by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / October 4, 2009 / 2:59 PM UTC
In reply to: Didn't Work

Hi Hugh,

I'm not having any problems creating lists or adding items to them. Which page are you trying from? Also, what browser are you using, and do you have javascript enabled?

If you'd like to try out the scanning software (TechTracker app) you can start from this page:
http://www.cnet.com/techtracker/

Hope that helps.

Collapse -
TechTracker app
by Tucker Green / October 5, 2009 / 4:34 PM UTC
In reply to: Stil having problems?

Marc pointed you right to where you can download TechTracker app - http://www.cnet.com/techtracker/. Once you've downloaded, installed, and completed your first scan, you'll see a list of your installed software and information as to which needs updating. Thanks for giving it a try. The thread you posted to is for TechTracker My Lists. Please feel free to post a new thread regarding TechTracker app.

Collapse -
My List
by pwright2 / October 4, 2009 / 7:20 PM UTC

Is more properly named CNET's Proprietary list because there is no way to create a list. It's another worthless piece of web advetising crap.

-----Paul-----

Collapse -
Hi Paul, can you please explain further on how...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / October 5, 2009 / 10:19 AM UTC
In reply to: My List

you are unable to create a list?

We welcome feedback--positive or negative, as we can always learn from them and make it better. However, if you don't tell exactly what isn't working for you, then we can't help you solve the issue you may be experiencing.

So please any details of your experience of not being able to create a list would be helpful.

Cheers!
-Lee

Collapse -
Terch Tracker Problems
by brentony254 / November 17, 2009 / 8:51 AM UTC

I tried TechTracker today & will be uninstalling it immediatelly for the following reasons:
1. I use an official version of Microsoft Money - it has been working excellently until I was told by TechTracker it was out of date. I downloaded the update & was unable to open any of my Money files, I eventually did a system restore to just before the 'upgrade'. Now I have to completely re-install the program & shall update it in the old fashioned way - using Microsoft as I did before. I have learned my lesson - do your updates the official way!!
2. I am perfectly happy with Adobe Photoshop Elements V7, & it is up to date via Adobe. TechTracker says it is out of date because V8 is available - I am not interested in paying more cash to replace something that does what I want & is still supported by Adobe, besides which Adobe keep me informed anyway.

Collapse -
List of software that TechTracker is erroneously reporting
by afinegold / November 18, 2009 / 4:07 PM UTC

Hopefully this CTRL-C copy of my TechTracker list of Out of date! labeled software, after several Scan Now's, will show up here. Other than the Microsoft Works and Neodowloader entries, however, I've downloaded updates for all of them thru TechTracker, some more than once. So the other five that show up below as needing updates, right after the lines reading Download Now, are apparently not being picked up by TechTracker's scan.

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Al Finegold
afinegold@msn.com

62 tracked items, 7 updates available
Expand More info Settings Close all
Go TitleInstalledLatestStatus FreeRip MP3

See related Rippers & Converting Software

More infoSettingsFeedback
Editors' rating:

Read full review
Avg. user rating:

Write a review
File size: 1.69MB
Total Downloads: 5,164,717
Downloads last week: 25220

Receive e-mail alerts for this product:
Yes
No

2009-10-25

Free
Out of date!

Download Now
Fund Manager Personal

See related Personal Finance Software

Editors' rating:

Read full review
Avg. user rating:

Write a review
File size: 2.1MB
Total Downloads: 15,275
Downloads last week: 14

Yes
No

2009-10-23

Free to try
Out of date!

Download Now
BurnAware Free

See related CD Burners

Editors' rating:

Read full review
Avg. user rating:

See all reviews
Write a review
File size: 5.04MB
Total Downloads: 1,230,627
Downloads last week: 23650

Yes
No

2009-10-12

Free
Out of date!

Download Now
POI Loader

See related Data Transfer & Sync Software

Editors' rating:

Read full review
Avg. user rating:

See all reviews
Write a review
File size: 11.93MB
Total Downloads: 837
Downloads last week: 203

Yes
No

2009-10-08

Free
Out of date!

Download Now
Microsoft Works

See related Office Suites

Editors' rating:

Read full review
Avg. user rating:

See all reviews
Write a review
File size: 0
Total Downloads: 97,009
Downloads last week: 5229

Yes
No

2009-09-24

Purchase
Out of date!

Download Now
Garmin WebUpdater

See related Other

Editors' rating:

Read full review
Avg. user rating:

See all reviews
Write a review
File size: 6.03MB
Total Downloads: 3,919
Downloads last week: 229

Yes
No

2009-06-09

Free
Out of date!

Download Now
NeoDownloader

See related Web Browsers

Editors' rating:

Read full review
Avg. user rating:

See all reviews
Write a review
File size: 1.91MB
Total Downloads: 51,016
Downloads last week: 28

Yes
No
2.3c

2008-06-16

Purchase
Out of date!

Collapse -
Can't delete items from the list
by mattumanu / December 28, 2009 / 12:16 AM UTC

Using firefox 3.5.6. Tried removing items from the list, but after checkmarking items and clicking "remove", nothing happens. Items are still there. Still receiving email notices for said items.

How do I disable this feature? If the "lists" are not working, I want to turn them off.

Collapse -
I have reported this issue...
by John.Wilkinson / December 28, 2009 / 12:36 PM UTC

It seems there is a problem that prevents users from viewing and/or modifying their own lists. I have reported the issue to the engineering team, but due to the holidays it will likely not be resolved until after New Years. I apologize for the inconvenience and encourage you to try again after next week.

Regards,
John

Collapse -
This is fixed now.
by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / January 6, 2010 / 1:56 PM UTC

Try it again, it should work for you. Thanks for your patience!

Collapse -
My Lists is now gone. Now What?
by dcdivine / April 4, 2014 / 3:06 AM UTC

I have been informed that you will replace them with something better. What and when? BTW, I had several lists that simply vanished without so much as a bye your leave, sir!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 45,842 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,052 discussions
icon
Tablets 1,149 discussions
icon
Security 28,606 discussions
icon
Home Audio and Video 18,995 discussions
icon