Computer Help

General discussion

Intializing a non-Windows format hard drive

by MrJames5 / November 22, 2009 12:47 AM PST

The hard drive is a Barracuda (80gb.) and I went to the control panel-->administative tools to intialize the drive and I get a error message "Drive not ready", what does that mean ? The drive was in a Playstation 2 and might have data on it. Another thing it's connected to the computer threw USB (it didn't matter before). All in all the drive is on,I can hear the motor, Vista is just not recgonizing it.I hope it's not a compatability issue.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Intializing a non-Windows format hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Intializing a non-Windows format hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you sure?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2009 1:20 AM PST

If so, look up GPARTED to delete the partitions on that drive and leave it blank. Boot into windows and head to the disk management to make a partition and format it. Sorry but GPARTED use, creation and more is on the web and it's free. Not too hard to use.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes.
by MrJames5 / November 22, 2009 4:03 AM PST
In reply to: Are you sure?

That sounds like an unneccssary step, I've done it before using the same program (mention in my op--->system management...) for a Linux formatted hard drive (from a Playstation 3)and it worked fine, I'm not going to try that, thanks for the advice.

Collapse -
This is necissary when
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2009 4:27 AM PST
In reply to: Yes.

When Windows drive management won't touch this drive. I've lost count of how many times Windows wouldn't touch a drive.
Bob

Collapse -
listen closely
by im_davy / November 22, 2009 4:56 AM PST
In reply to: This is necissary when

Listen for the click of death, last time I saw this message the HDD was toast. Try Partition Magic, it's old school but I think you get a 30 day trial on it. Drive format should have absolutely nothing to do with it. The only thing the format will affect is whether or not Windows can see data on it or move data to/from it like with a smart phone plugged in to your computer. This is more of a doom and gloom response and isn't very helpful but be sure to verify the drive even works. I personally haven't had any trouble with drives not talking to Disk Management unless they were dead. If disk mgmt can see it but can turn it on, it's toast 90% of the time.

Collapse -
No clicking, smooth sailing.
by MrJames5 / November 22, 2009 4:17 PM PST
In reply to: listen closely

I'm a try the hard drive in a spare computer with XP, I'm really trying to avoid third party software. The hard drive hums like a eco vehical, again only 80gb so you know the age. Thanks for your time.

Collapse -
Resolved
by MrJames5 / November 26, 2009 1:33 AM PST

Now as I type this I've gotten the drive to format. I initialized the hard drive with administrative tools--->computer management. I did this exact method originally with no success, I was beginning to stash this drive with the rest of my dated PC hardware before I decided to give it another go.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.