Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Laptops

General discussion

Internetishop

by geoffreycampen / March 9, 2004 2:02 AM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internetishop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internetishop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Internetishop
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 9, 2004 2:48 AM PST
In reply to: Internetishop

Never heard of them and no CNet reviews.

Everything says to me to ignore it.

In fact, can you consider a 64-bit laptop to slow down that obsolete feeling in just a few months?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Internetishop
by Mrdwp / October 4, 2004 7:27 AM PDT

InternetIshop is FRAUD
They have ripped off lots of people.
their eBay store is not a registered user,
their website has been taken down,
and I along with several others are pursuing action against the company.
Also operate under the name:
HugeBee among a host of other names.
Bad Bad Bad Bad Business.
Check out the data available on:
http://p206.ezboard.com/binternetishopscrewedus64824

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / October 5, 2004 10:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Internetishop

As the moderator here has said, stick to the major brands to avoid situations like this. Even some mid-size companies that have been around for years are still undesirable as they will not have any support down the line for parts. You may need a new A/C adaptor and you will need a new battery at a minimum.

Collapse -
A little clarification.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2004 10:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Internetishop

This forum is not mine, so I'm just "a moderator" but not this forum.

What I write is from experience at office, shop, lab and personal experiences. All I can hope for is to share the stories, post a link to prior horror stories and hope. I've made the calls to the smaller names searching for parts, boards, displays, batteries, schematics and more. It wasn't fun.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: A little clarification.
by cgp99 / December 27, 2004 9:54 AM PST

I really beg to differ Bob. I refuse to pay $1000.00 and more than that in some cases just to feed the Dell Money Machine. Some of us regular people don't work for advertising based computer industry companies so we don't have the funding and perks you might have. I look for deals and I also know there are reputable companies that you will never bother to review because they don't fund your company with advertising dollars.

Collapse -
Show me the money cgp99.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2004 10:12 AM PST

I have received one coffee cup in 4 years as moderator here. You are way offbase with your last post.

If you care to share what reputable companies you are writing about, then we can chat.

Bob

Collapse -
Roll the dice with independents but preferable with desktops
by KenSanramon / December 27, 2004 11:14 AM PST

Yes, Bob is an expert in the computer industry who volunteers his time as a Cnet moderator (and go into his profile and see how many posts he has made in the past year and you will be astounded). He is not a Cnet employee and has no reason other then experience to push the larger more established computer companies (especially for notebooks as opposed to many quality 'white desktop companies').

I only have the time to examine and respond on this Cnet notebooks board but Bob is involved in operating systems and various hardware boards in addition to this one.

So, if you want to roll the dice and get an independent do so are your own peril and based on your own research.

I bought an independent IBM clone desktop myself in 1993 (Windows 3.1) that I had no trouble with for years and I even went back to the same local clone company to upgrade the motherboard and get a new CPU.

But, sorry I would not do that with a notebook with proprietary parts and a much bigger cost if something goes wrong. In that case, you have a $2,000 doorstop.

Collapse -
Who really makes notebooks?
by cgp99 / December 27, 2004 1:47 PM PST

"Who really makes notebooks?" Type or copy and paste this into Google and tell me what you think after you read the facts about who really makes notebooks.

Well Bob I am sorry if you aren't in on making the big money but I don't research the people at CNET. Surely the people who pay for all the advertising are the people who pay the "Big Name Computer Company" computers. Tell me why is it I should go to the Dell website and configure a computer for $2700.00 (or more!) when I can get the same Compal laptop for half that price. Tech support? Well guess again ...! The biggest complaint I hear is that 90% of the time when someone calls Dell tech support they are actually talking to someone in India. I try and not support any company that is undermining the U.S. economy to make a bigger profit for the "upper echelon" in the company while they lay off American workers.

Collapse -
Who really makes cars?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2004 9:34 PM PST

Same for each product.

Since you can get great laptops for 1/2 the price you noted everyday, you need to go shopping more.

Bob

Collapse -
Compal makes HP/Compaq/Acer Pentium M notebooks
by KenSanramon / December 28, 2004 10:05 AM PST
In reply to: Who really makes cars?

Your post about Compal walks right into the trap. Compal in China makes a lot of quality notebooks including my Compaq X1000/HPZT3000 (see X1000forums.com) and also the hard to find Acer 2025 --note that all three of these are 6.5-6.6 pounds.

So, yes, if you live in a 3rd world country without a significant warranty program purchase from Compal directly as they make good notebooks.

But if you live in a country like the US with significant consumer protections you want to buy the notebook through HP/Compaq, Dell, etc to get the warranty protection and the existence of a large company that will not disappear as a $2,000 purchase is something you should at least have a 1 year protection on.

But if you live in Hong Kong and can get it cheap directly be my guest........

As far as your service rant, HP/Compaq and Dell service are overseas as the falling costs of computers have driven them over there. Dell moved back its business line service by the way but you are paying more for that right. IBM has better service also but again you are paying more for that.

But what I don't understand is why you are ranting about large US computer company support overseas but you state you will just go and buy from Compal directly (a Chinese Company).

What exactly are you gaining from this with your nationalism? In that case, nothing is remaining in the US not even part of the profit with a US computer company ....

But go ahead and get an Averatec which used to be Sotec but they changed their name (research that one) and find out the difference yourself...........

Collapse -
Huh?
by cgp99 / December 28, 2004 12:17 PM PST

You two are really in the dark. Sorry again Bob but you are just completely lost with your car comparison.

I don't have to go to China to buy a Compal. I can buy one here from an American Company and WITH a 3 year warranty and STILL be half the price of a Dell. Dell has it's own laptop division in China that buys Compal notebooks THERE then they still charge the outrageous prices. Wake up! That is just one example of what a large computer company does. It's called rape. Sure I'm critical of some things but I do not let myself be led down a blind alley by having trust in a large company because someone tells me I should. Some of us are just born to be followers. Not I!

I'm bored with this one sided conversation. I really don't care if you spend every penny you have on a Dell or any other rip-off company.

I'm not even sure how I found this page. I did make a comment in another forum like this once before when I saw something someone wrote about how great Alienware is but little did I know until after the comment I posted that I was on an Alienware Fan Club web page. Me and my mouth. Goodbye and have a nice little life.

Collapse -
cgp99. Internetishop has serious issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2004 10:30 PM PST
In reply to: Huh?

I'm unsure why you persist in trying to tell others that such places are safe to do business with.

That's the beauty of such forums. If someone asks if about some store or as we recently discussed, the Ebay Western Union Money scam, people here will rally and call such things for what they are.

No one will give you any good words to support Internetishop.

Bob

Collapse -
Internetishop now bankrupt, but they made GREAT value stuff!
by StephenPReid / February 22, 2005 11:30 AM PST

I bought lots of stuff from them, precisely BECAUSE they offered great products for GREAT prices!
So they went bankrupt because their business plan wasn't sound, but everyone who bought anything from them prior to September '04 got a great deal, especially if there were no hardware problems.
There might have been some in ishop management who were behaving less than admirably during the last month, but that's not the employees' fault.

My laptop was WONDERFUL, but I drove 1000 miles with it in the trunk of my car and didn't think about how much that would shake it up. So it now starts up only intermittently and I need to replace the motherboard.

I am happy to pay for it (it is out of warranty anyway). I just need to know where I can buy a replacement motherboard for their top-of-the-line laptop with the Toshiba 16" screen with the speakers on each side.

If anybody can help me with that I would be MOST appreciative! Thanks very much!

Collapse -
by Pepper Computer / December 2, 2004 11:51 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.