Windows Vista

General discussion

Internet Working But DSL Modem Internet Light Red

by beachangel1 / October 14, 2009 9:26 AM PDT

I don't understand what happened. I noticed the other day I had a new box in my toolbar for something called Windows Firewall 7 which I did not download and it was causing me to lose my internet connection so went to programs and uninstalled it. I also deleted it from the tool bar then did a restart. After I did the restart I noticed that I was able to get onto the internet even though the light on my dsl modem is red and in the past when that light was red I wasn't able to get onto the internet. Can anyone explain what that means and if I need to do something? I'm worried that at any moment might internet will go out and I use my computer for work.

Here are the specs on my computer: Window Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1 (underneath where it says that it says Upgrade Windows Vista, Do I need to do that? Computer is HP Pavilion a6532f AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor, 5200 + 2.70GHz, Memory (RAM) 3.00GB & 32-bit.

Let me know if there is anything else you need from me. I look forward to hearing from you and getting your assistance.

Renee

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Working But DSL Modem Internet Light Red
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Working But DSL Modem Internet Light Red
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Who cares?
by Jimmy Greystone / October 14, 2009 9:53 AM PDT

Who cares? I understand the intellectual curiosity about things as well as anyone else, but it works, so just leave it at that.

Collapse -
I Care & Need Help
by beachangel1 / October 14, 2009 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Who cares?

Since you had nothing to contribute to my post you should not have repsonded. I come to to this post for assistance and someone else might agree that there is something I need to do. I ask that you not respond to this post again or any further post I make.

Renee

Collapse -
Tell us more please.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 14, 2009 8:14 PM PDT

Forget Jimmy's post. Of course you care. I would delete his post but you have replied to it, and that would delete yours as well.

Like you I find that, when Windows does things that are unexpected and/or unusual, I get concerned and want to find out what to expect. I'm no tech expert, but perhaps I can help.

First of all, you asked if your Vista SP1 should be upgraded to SP2. Emphatically yes. In fact there are Windows updates after SP2, and I would always recommend installing them. They include critical and security updates, and are needed to help keep Windows Vista secure.

Next. Tell us what security software you use. We need a Firewall, (either Windows own firewall or a 3rd party firewall), an Anti-Virus scanner, always running in the background, and always kept up to date, (I allow mine to update automatically), with daily scans performed, and at least two anti-malware scanners, one of which should be running in the background, and the other used as a back-up check every so often.

I don't know what Windows Firewall 7 is, and Google doesn't help. Is there any other information you can give? (The new Windows 7 Operating System has it's own firewall, but the wording is different, ie, Windows 7 firewall. But as your OS is Vista, I don't see a connection there).

What toolbar is this? Do your mean a toolbar in your browser application? If so, which browser do you use? If you use Internet Explorer, which version? I would always recommend using a different browser, eg Firefox, as other non-IE based browsers are more secure than IE.

About your DSL modem. I don't know much about DSL at all, but is this a modem supplied by your ISP, (Internet Service Provider)? Which modem is it, and what does the manual say about the red light? If it is supplied by the ISP, what do they say about it?

Is your computer connected directly to the modem, or is there a router in-between? if so, which one?

That's just for starters, there may be more! Devil

Mark

Collapse -
Have Answers
by beachangel1 / October 15, 2009 9:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell us more please.

Hi Mark,
First let me say thank you for trying to help me.

I am assuming that where it says Service Pack 1 on my computer and underneath that it says Upgrade Windows Now that if I click on the Upgrade Windows Now will give me the Service Pack 2 and that I will need to do that after finishing everything else.

I use the free edition of AVG Anti-Virus and have it set to update automatically. I use the Windows Firewall that was installed on the computer when I got it. I don't have any anti-malware.

The Windows Firewall 7 I mentioned is from a company called Sphinx-Soft.com. I have no idea how it got on my computer but at least its gone now.

My browser is IE except I don't know how to tell which version I'm using. Can you tell me how I would find that out?

My modem is supplied by my ISP provider. I called them and they don't know what to tell me to do. Also my computer goes from modem (which is called ComTrend) to my my Linksys Router.

Let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

Renee

Collapse -
No problem, and
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 16, 2009 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Have Answers

sorry for the delay in responding.

Is that window where it says upgrade Windows anything like this?
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/1710/systeminfoi.jpg

That was from the initial Welcome Center (Control Panel > Welcome Center >View Computer details). If that is yours as well, does it say anything else? It's just that I am not sure that "Upgrade Windows" is the same as "Update Windows..." to SP2, or similar. Windows Update would certainly offer updates, but an Upgrade seems to be a different option. May be you had the option when you purchased this computer to 'upgrade it to Windows 7''?

Is there any reason why your system is still at Service Pack 1, and has not received updates since then?

What I would do. Check in Windows Updates from the Control Panel and see what updates are offered. These are the 'recommended updates' and if your system is only at SP1, then SP2 should be offered. But there will be many more updates available since SP2, so I would download and install SP2 only at this stage, make sure the install goes well, and then later check for other updates. Is Automatic Update selected? You can check the settings in the 'Change settings' option on the left.

Next, the Windows Firewall 7 toolbar. Your mention of Sphinx-Soft.com led me to a Google search and there is plenty about Sphinx-Soft.com. I see nothing adverse about it, but from the http://www.sphinx-soft.com web site this appears to be some sort of control application for the Windows 7 Firewall. Windows 7 is the new Windows OS being released to retal later this month, but I see that this software is also designed for Windows Vista.

I don't know how this became a toolbar, (do you mean a toolbar in your browser?), perhaps you visited a site where this was downloaded from. It seems harmless software, and there is a free version, but unless you know what you are doing, I personally would suggest you stay away. I haven't heard of it before.

Your IE version. Open IE, click Help, (or the ? Question Mark), and goto "About Internet Explorer" for the version number. My own version on my Vista system is Version 8.0.6001.18828

About the modem and the red light. Is this your modem? http://www2.tcc.coop/forms/comtrendmodem.pdf (Your browser will need to be able to display PDF files to see this). If your browser cannot display PDF files, go to Download.com for the Foxit PDF Reader, http://download.cnet.com/Foxit-Reader/3000-10743_4-10313206.html?tag=mncol

If this is yours, then this PDF file explains what all the lights mean, I haven't read the rest, but perhaps there is more their that can help you. I am amazed that your ISP does not know what the red light means.

I use a modem and a wireless router for my systems. Sometimes, I have to reboot both the modem and the router, and I wonder if that is what is needed with your modem. Just turn them off at the plug, wait two minutes, then turn them both on again. You may have to reboot the computer, but not always. Sometimes I just have to right click the network icon in my Notification area, (next to the clock), select 'Diagnose and repair', and Vista resets the connection. However, if your modem is still working properly, then you may want to wait and see.

I hope all that helps. Let us know how you get on.

Mark

Collapse -
More Answers & Questions
by beachangel1 / October 17, 2009 9:59 PM PDT
In reply to: No problem, and

That's okay. I am sorry also I did not get back to you sooner. I work crazy hours.

You are right in that upgrade is not the same things as update. I went to where it said upgrade and clicked on it and there was an option to show more details so I did that and it showed me the different versions of Vista that I could upgrade to so I cancelled out of it.

My computer is set to automatically install new updates. I went to where you said to go and it shows SP2 so I am going to install it now. I do not understand why it did not do that when I do have the setting to automaticaly install new updates.

I opened IE and did not see a help or ? so was unable to determine what version of IE I have. Is there any other way to find out this information?

I have also turned off my router, modem and computer and waited several minutes before turning everything back on. When I do turn everything back on my modem still shows that my internet light is red which means I should not be able to get on the internet.

I noticed that in an earlier post that you mentioned anti-malware. Do you know of a free download for anti-malware that is easy to use and can also be put to do automatic scans? Do I also need an anti-spyware since I have AVG Anti-Virus free edition? I just want to make sure I have everything I need.

Thanks again for all of your help. I'm going to go download the SP2 now and will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,
Renee

Collapse -
Another image link for you.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 17, 2009 10:28 PM PDT
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/8153/ieabout.jpg

That shows where the ? question mark button for Help should be. If you still can't do that, then something is odd.

Glad you got that Upgrade/Update thing sorted. Since I have Vista Ultimate I don't have an upgrade option, but that explains it with your system, Microsoft wants your money! Happy

Were you able to read that PDF file in the link I gave for that modem? If so, did it offer any help or clues what this red LED light means? I think at the end of the day, (and I hate agreeing with Jimmy about this!), if it is still working then may be it is just one of those things.

As you have AVG this should include an anti-virus and anti-spyware scanner, both of which can be set to run in the background. If you open up your AVG Control Panel you should be able to tell more.

With anti-virus the general rule is, 'one is enough', and two or more will cause conflict.

However, with anti-spyware we know that spyware and other types of malware are not all found by single anti-spyware scanners, so we employ others, not to run n the background, (only one anti-spyware is needed for that), but as a double check, backup scanner. Perhaps use it once a week to perform a manual scan of the system.

The best free anti-malware at the moment seems to be Malwarebytes' Antimalware. The free version does not allow scheduled scans, but we use it for manual scans.

Another free anti-malware scan we use is SUPERAntispyware. Again, no option to schedule scans with the free version, but nevertheless a good scanner.

I hope the SP2 update goes well.

Some tips for a smooth running system;

Jimmy does have very useful advice. The link below is an older post, but the general information in the "Some tips for a smooth running system" still holds well for today's systems;
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?threadID=291330#2750820

Mark
Collapse -
I Did It!!!
by beachangel1 / October 31, 2009 7:31 AM PDT

It took a couple of weeks to get it all finished but I did it. I backed up everything I needed and made the Sytems Recovery DVD's that I hadn't done yet. I made those on DVD-R's, don't know what I'll do with the rest of them since you can't record over on DVD-R's. I have also did the update to SP2 for Vista. I saw where the update for SP2 on my computer was when I went to Control Panel, Windows Update. I don't know why it never installed it automatically when I did have it set to install updates automatically. Guess I'll just keep an eye on that. I was able to find out that have IE Version 7.

Just wondering if it's worth it to update IE 8. Any thought's or opinions on this.

Otherwise my computer is running great, knock on wood.

Thanks to everyone who helped me.
Renee

Collapse -
That's great news
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 31, 2009 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: I Did It!!!

Congratulations on all of that.

IE 8. Yes, I would, it is more secure than IE 7.

But I'm glad you finally got everything sorted.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks
by beachangel1 / November 1, 2009 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: That's great news

I appreciate all the assistance you gave me. I could not have done it without your help.

Now, I'm going to go and install IE 8.

Thanks again,
Renee

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.