Windows 7 forum

Internet WiFi issues

by AndyJG201992 / February 18, 2013 4:51 AM PST

Hi there,

I have an issue where my computer refuses to connect to my WiFi. I try to connect and it either connects with limitations (where no web pages load) or it says cannot connect.

However, there is nothing wrong with the WiFi as far as I can tell, because my iPad, iPhone, parents 2 computers and both there phones all connect with no trouble (and also our Internet is fast).

But, I have tried tethering my iPhone to my computer and it worked perfectly. So as far as I can gather, the WiFi is fine but there's no hardware issues with my computer.

Could it be some kind of IP address conflict?

Any advice would be eagerly appreciated, as I have had no Internet on the computer in question for about a week.

I've tried it in safe mode but that did nothing. I have tried changing the DNS settings to googles DNS servers but that did nothing. I have been in command promt and ipconfig /release, ipconfig /renew but that did nothing. I have also manually changed my IP address after check the IP address, sub net mask and default gateway on another computer, but that did nothing.

Any advice would be welcomed with open arms!!! Thanks,

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet WiFi issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet WiFi issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Tell more
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: Internet WiFi issues

Is this router set to WEP? If so, try WPA2.

Collapse -
Security type
by AndyJG201992 / February 18, 2013 5:29 AM PST
In reply to: Tell more

Hi, thanks for the reply,

No it's currently set to WPA2 and I've got no options to set it to WEP. Only other options I have is; Shared, WPA (personnel/enterprise), 802.1X and CCKM.

Collapse -
Given so few clues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: Security type

I'd try a free wifi spot next.

Once in awhile we'll encounter PCs where the owners install "privacy shield" and more. Works as good as the "cone of silence."

Collapse -
so few clues
by AndyJG201992 / February 18, 2013 9:02 PM PST
In reply to: Given so few clues.

Sorry I don't know what to say. I've been having an issue why my computer will usually connect to my Wifi but after that only certain pages load.

It started about a week ago but it doesn't coincide with anything I download or installed. All I know so far is that when I connect to my internet, only certain sites load, and that most sites start to load but never finish, ending up telling me the page could not be displayed.

I have now performed 2 clean installs of windows 7 and it has done nothing to fix the problem.

Also, the problem doesn't seem to start happening until after a couple of minutes have passed after machine start up. The Internet is very fast but then suddenly just slows down exponentially, with some sights never loading and eventually telling me page cannot be displayed. Also I don't think it is an over heating problem, as the computer has many fans and I doubt any components would over heat so soon after the machine turning on.

It is also not browser specific, as I have tried several different browsers and found the same problem.

Another thing is that it is impossible to download anything when the problem hits - it downloads a few hundred KB and then just stops, later telling me the download could not complete. Just to clarify, when I say the problem 'hits' I mean when the very brief time after computer start up where the Internet works - ends, and the problem sets in.

I've been researching the problem for days and one of the most common things I have read about is some kind of hijacking malware. I downloaded hijackthis and malware bytes but they did nothing to help the problem.

I have no idea if it's even anything to do with malware - just a stab in the dark, desperation really.

The only thing that seems to have done anything so far is tethering my iphone to my pc using personnel hotspot. However not only does that not fix the problem with the wifi but 3G is not a stable connection unless your in a good area for signal - which im not.

So thats pretty much everything I can think of to take note

Collapse -
clean installs of windows 7
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 12:23 AM PST
In reply to: so few clues

That's just the beginning of a good Windows install. There should be some 10 or more other drivers and utilities to install after the clean install.

And if this clean install included Norton, it does block the internet as soon as it discovers it is expired or old. When we asked Symantec about that the answer was that is was to be safe.

Collapse -
clean install
by AndyJG201992 / February 19, 2013 1:38 AM PST

The clean install I performed was not with Norton. Norton was one of the last things I installed after the clean install. The internet was not working before I installed it.

And I installed Windows 7 and then installed all the necessary drivers off of discs that were provided when I bought the computer a couple of weeks ago.

The internet still would not connect.

And I've just seen the description bellow about including technical information. I have a custom built computer that has these components; ASUS AM3+M5A78L-M/USB3 motherboard, ATI Radeon 6670 graphics card and a SUMVISION 150Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter model SVW311P. As well as a 500w power supply, an AMD BullDozer FX-6300 6 core, 8 GB RAM and I think that's everything.

Hope that info helps, I'm just trying to give you all the information I can think of.

Collapse -
Time to tell a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 1:43 AM PST
In reply to: Internet WiFi issues

Let's hope the antennas are on the WiFi card and you started at 20 feet away from the router to avoid distance issues.

With that out of the way it's time to run Ubuntu off a LiveDVD or USB and see if it will connect.

Collapse -
EXAMPLE!!! Of what screens you might see.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 1:59 AM PST
Collapse -
by AndyJG201992 / February 19, 2013 4:03 PM PST

Hi thanks for the advice. What exactly is Ubuntu?

And also, I did not clean install over 20ft it was more 15ft away from the router. And by antennas on the Wifi card, all the antennas for the router and PCI were connected.

Thanks for the info

Collapse -
Link, comment
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 4:33 PM PST
In reply to: Ubuntu

Running another OS shows if it's a Windows issue only. If that has the same issues, it's either the hardware in the PC, or the modem/router or the ISP. Then we try another PC and this PC somewhere else to see if it's the PC or not. Finally, we replace the router or talk to the ISP customer service.

Collapse -
WiFi signal booster
by AndyJG201992 / February 20, 2013 6:30 PM PST
In reply to: Link, comment

I have just realised that a WiFi signal repeater was introduced into the system roughly when these problems started 1 week ago. Does anyone think that could be the cause?

I am going to look into Ubuntu later on tonight.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.