Windows 8 forum

Internet & Technology

by garymoore321 / February 10, 2013 8:36 PM PST

Any extra features added to Windows 8 when compared to previous version???

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet & Technology
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet & Technology
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
I thought Windows 8 lost features.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2013 11:08 PM PST
In reply to: Internet & Technology

No XP Mode, Aero was removed along with start button/bar.

From my view it was a move to reduce what was in the OS, not to add features.

Collapse -
They also removed games and gadgets
by wpgwpg / February 11, 2013 2:15 AM PST

In addition to no XP Mode, Aero, and Start button, they also removed all the desktop games that were in the previous versions and the gadgets, and they changed shut down and the way you create repair discs. Sure it boots to the 1st screen faster, but they force you to sign in to a Hotmail account and THEN it takes another minute or so to boot. At first it seems faster because you don't have much installed, but as you add your desktop mode apps back, it starts taking longer. People tend to forget about that. Sad

Collapse -
You don't have to
by orlbuckeye / February 12, 2013 9:04 PM PST

sing into your MS account. You can sign in as a local user the hotmail/outlook account allows you to sync emails and contacts on multiple devices. Gadgets were removed because they were becoming a security for easy access to your privaqte information. If you have Windows 8 pro you can run Hyper-V as a virtual machine. The only difference between that and XP mode is XP isn't free. I myself don't miss the start button as i put all the desktop apps as shortcuts on desktop or in taskbar. I think they are much easier to get to. I just made sure the control panel shortcut and recycle bin are on my desktop. I created a shortcut that I click (do google search and it's easy to create) to shutdown pc.

Collapse -
New features.
by orlbuckeye / February 11, 2013 2:08 AM PST
In reply to: Internet & Technology

1. Faster boot times. MS has come with a way to basically hibernate after a shutdown. It saves status at shutdown into memeory and returns to the status at reboot.
2. Boot from a USB device
3. integration with Windows account and live syncing
4. more powerfull search

Collapse -
My Windows 7 laptop resumes from zero power sleep in 3 secs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2013 2:27 AM PST
In reply to: New features.

That's pretty fast. I've seen it resume in 2.x seconds and since I rarely boot, the boot time doesn't seem important.

About item 3. Not going to use that as MSFT has a history of tossing buyers under the bus as they move to the next shiny thing. Here's an article from someone you may know about other aspects of this feature.

I guess it's true that we are now the product.

Collapse -
I'm not a big supporter of
by orlbuckeye / February 12, 2013 4:59 AM PST

cloud based system but my company just invested around 9 million dollars in an ERP system that's in the cloud. I personally don't mind syncing accounts but i will never touch MS Office 365. My data will stay on my device. Although last night iI was looking at my Skydrive and it did have my favorites stored on my space. I don't remember telling it to do it. As long as my data remains local im not worried.

I did see an article that caught my attention about Windows 8 and business. Well there is a buzzword now in business BYOD Bring Your Own Device. Well Windows 8 allows booting from a USB device. The article said that employees could use their own devices and get a company issued flash drive and boot with it. Security could be controlled on the flash drive. My pc at work is a 2008 machine with 2gb of ram. I need to reboot at least once a week because I have to support some apps written in Java and JRE is required (which is a another issue) .

I reboot my machine at home alot to clear out the memory and when I do updates.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.