TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

Internet ready TV, requirements on the USB Adapter?

by BobbyS1957 / January 14, 2013 7:43 AM PST

I have a Panasonic Smart TV, however it needs a wireless adaptor. Will any brand of adaptor work? Or do I have to buy the one made by Panasonic? My pref is to by a "mini" that does not stick out the side of the TV such as Belkin or Netgear.
Also, what is the "slowest" model I should buy?

BobbyS1957 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet ready TV, requirements on the USB Adapter?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet ready TV, requirements on the USB Adapter?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by BobbyS1957

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 7:53 AM PST

1. Will any brand of adaptor work?
a. The makers.

2. Or do I have to buy the one made by Panasonic?
a. If you want their support to make it work? Yes.

3. My pref is to by a "mini" that does not stick out the side of the TV such as Belkin or Netgear.
Also, what is the "slowest" model I should buy?
a. The seller should help you here. But let me part with a non-stick device I use on my TV. Link follows
Bob

-> http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNCE2001-Universal-Internet-Adapter/dp/B007CO5DZ4/

I like this one since I can power it off some USB port on my TV.

Collapse -
USB wireless adaptor
by BobbyS1957 / January 14, 2013 8:03 AM PST
In reply to: No.

all the adaptors are USB so my pref is a very small one, the one you mention requires an ethernet to connect the device and I have to either mount it or hide it.

Collapse -
Then you'll have to learn this first hand.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 8:54 AM PST
In reply to: USB wireless adaptor

At least I warned you off, answered more than the sellers did (or maker) and offered a device that is small which I used double stick tape to attach to the back side of the set.

It appears you are going to learn this area first hand.
Bob

Collapse -
Wireless adaptor
by BobbyS1957 / January 18, 2013 9:52 PM PST
In reply to: No.

does this adaptor work specifically with Panasonic? I tried a Netgear usb adaptor, that didn't work, then I bot the Panasonic brand one, The TV recognizes it but my router does not. The Panasonic website says it is not compatible with my router, which is Actiontec brand. Plus, this router is provided by Verizon for their FIOS product, it connects via coaxial cable!! All new routers connect via ethernet! I will go with your recommendation if you are pretty certain it will work with my TV. Panasonic told via over the phone that my TV was not compatible with any Netgear routers.

Collapse -
This adapter is for all devices
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2013 12:23 AM PST
In reply to: Wireless adaptor

All devices that have an ethernet connection. What is this router did not recognize issue? Some folk forget they need to change settings in the router. That is, this is not plug and play. Your network may need a few setting changes.
Bob

Collapse -
Wireless
by BobbyS1957 / January 19, 2013 3:32 AM PST

Well, I have 12 devices currently using my wireless connection and I did not have to change any settings to get them to work. I think Panasonic has not done a very good job of integrating their software with existing wireless hardware. Standard wireless adaptors should work, but I have tried 2 that didnt. THe TV did not recognize the devices, not the router. However the TV recognizes the Panasonic brand wireless adaptor, but it doesnt connect to the router - it should be automatic once I enter the WEP key.
I am not happy with Panasonic.

Collapse -
TRUE!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2013 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: Wireless

But if you do more and more devices you find issues such as this won't take a space in the SSID or a password with uppercase letters.

You have a choice to make here. Call them on their lack of working with other systems or figuring it out and making it work.

I have a few tips in the CNET Networking Forum but while I hear you, I can only suggest what may make a device play along. If you feel this is a product defect, then return it and get stuff that works.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.