TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Internet-ready game consoles live chat with CNET editor John Falcone

by CNET Event admin / November 5, 2010 3:11 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet-ready game consoles live chat with CNET editor John Falcone
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet-ready game consoles live chat with CNET editor John Falcone
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which is the best?

Which of the 3 consoles would you say has the most diverse array of online services? The Playstation?

Collapse -
PS3 is king, for now
by jpfalcone CNET staff / December 7, 2010 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: Which is the best?

The PS3 currently offers the best online video options among gaming consoles:

Hulu Plus
PlayStation Store
NHL GameCenter
some Flash video via browser
DLNA support (audio/video/photos can be streamed from networked PCs)
USB support (audio/video/photos can be accessed from USB drives)

Collapse -
PS3 with Macs/iTunes
by timhood / December 7, 2010 1:23 AM PST

What can the PS3 do with Macs in the house? Can it work with iTunes? Would I need any software on the Mac? What software would I want to look at?

Collapse -
you may just need to share a directory
by jpfalcone CNET staff / December 7, 2010 1:31 AM PST
In reply to: PS3 with Macs/iTunes

The PS3 is very good with network sharing. Try sharing your iTunes music directory on the network. Alternately, you may wish to run server software (something like Twonkyvision) so that the PS3 can "see" the music files.

Collapse -
Welcome, everyone
by jpfalcone CNET staff / December 7, 2010 1:25 AM PST

Thanks for joining us. I'm John Falcone, Executive Editor at Today, we're looking at Internet-ready game consoles. But we may stray into some more general Internet TV questions as well.

Collapse -
entire internet

why do these devices acces predefined apps & not the entire internet such as my laptop?

Collapse -
a variety of reasons
by jpfalcone CNET staff / December 7, 2010 1:34 AM PST
In reply to: entire internet

The companies want to present a "good user experience," so an app is usually considered more user-friendly than a Web presentation.

The PS3 and Wii do have browsers, but they don't always have the latest version of Flash, so all the video sites don't necessarily work.

Moreover, even when the browsers *do* work, the content companies often block the good video sites (e.g. So, apps may be the best way to go.

Collapse -
PS3 browser

Why don't they update the browser to something that isn't so slow and clunky? its feels like a mobile browser

Collapse -
agreed, but...
by jpfalcone CNET staff / December 7, 2010 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: PS3 browser

... as mentioned below, even if they make the browser "perfect," the content companies may block it. Hulu is already blocked, and other sites (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, Comedy Central) are blocked on similar products like Google TV and Boxee.

Collapse -
PlayOn on PS3 relevance
by bmw74 / December 7, 2010 1:31 AM PST

With all the options that the PS3 offers, what are currently the advantages of using PlayOn to stream media to the PS3? Are there any free alternatives to PlayOn?

Collapse -
Orb is the only one I know of
by jpfalcone CNET staff / December 7, 2010 1:43 AM PST
Collapse -
Online Video
by mnew461 / December 7, 2010 1:32 AM PST

Are all of these options already on the PS3 or do you have to install something ?
PlayStation Store
NHL GameCenter

Collapse -
you install them from the PS3's menu
by jpfalcone CNET staff / December 7, 2010 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: Online Video

Just make sure you have the latest firmware. Then you should be able to find these options via the PlayStation Store. Once installed, they're available on the main menu.

Note: Netflix, NHL, and MLB require paid subscriptions. And NHL and MLB don't allow hometown teams (if you're within a 50-mile radius of the city, I believe).

Vudu and PlayStation Store offer movies and TV shows on a pay-per-view basis.

Collapse -
Robert W

Sorry, I'm a new guy here. Is there an audio portion or is it just Q&A's

Collapse -
Just text
by jpfalcone CNET staff / December 7, 2010 1:37 AM PST
In reply to: Robert W

Just text Q&A here for now.

Collapse -
Xbox 360 Networking Options

I have a Macbook Pro with a TON of music on it. I've already figured out how to rip my DVD's to an external drive and have the 360 recognize it. Is there any easy way to get the 360 to recognize the music I have on my Mac or do I have to convert them ALL (over 7000 songs) to a different format?

Collapse -
MP3 is best
by jpfalcone CNET staff / December 7, 2010 1:40 AM PST

MP3 offers the easiest compatibility. If your music is AAC format (.m4a files), I'm not sure if the Xbox can currently read them.

The Xbox will *not* read any copy-protected files purchased from iTunes before they went DRM-free a couple of years ago.

Collapse -
Wii: More than Netflix?

What other Wii options are there other than the Netflix disk?

Collapse -
disc no longer needed
by jpfalcone CNET staff / December 7, 2010 1:41 AM PST

The Wii Netflix channel no longer requires the disc (as of a couple of months ago).

Otherwise, the Wii has slim pickings for media. I'd suggest trying out the Orb software, which allows the Wii to access some PC- and Web-based media via the Orb software running on a networked PC.

Collapse -
How do I connject my Samsung TV to the internet?
by loessn / December 7, 2010 1:36 AM PST

I bought a Samsung LED a few months ago. I bought the adaptor for the TV but do not understand how it works. The bluray player also has wifi capability. Would I be best going through the player?

Collapse -
They both work similarly
by jpfalcone CNET staff / December 7, 2010 1:44 AM PST

TVs and Blu-ray players work similarly; if they're both from the same company, it may even be nearly identical.

Whichever you choose, you'll need to get it online (via Ethernet or Wi-Fi). After that, you'll need to sign-up or link whichever services you choose to use (Netflix, Vudu, Pandora, etc.).

Collapse -
XBox 360 has better sports

Have you seen the ESPN ZOne on Xbox? I use that way more than PS3 content,

Collapse -
Yes, but...
by jpfalcone CNET staff / December 7, 2010 1:46 AM PST

We've seen it. But here in NYC, we've had trouble getting it to work with the premium content, even though Time Warner Cable is supposed to support it.

If you've got it working, and you like ESPN, it's great. I just wish you could subscribe to it separately, without needing to be a cable TV subscriber.

Collapse -
Google TV or just a better browser

The PS3 already has browser, do you think the xbox could have one in its future or some way to surf web videos online. Also is it a possiblity since google and sony are already working together that some kind of firmware update for the ps3 that would allow the google tv service?

Collapse -
obstacles don't seem to be technical
by jpfalcone CNET staff / December 7, 2010 1:49 AM PST

I can't think of any reason the Xbox couldn't support a browser via a future firmware upgrade. But I think Microsoft has strategic reasons for not adding that--mainly that they still want you to buy a PC with Windows (my guess). I hope they change their mind, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

Likewise, there's no reason why the PS3 couldn't get upgraded with a better browser, or add a more robust "Google TV" function. But remember: Google TV has very little content on it because the providers are blocking it. They would also block in on the PS3, unless Sony works with them to make a deal (which would probably involve a paid subscription of some sort).

Collapse -

Is there a gadget we can attach to a TV that will make it work similat to a laptop.

Collapse -
if not Google TV...
by jpfalcone CNET staff / December 7, 2010 1:51 AM PST
In reply to: ralphf926
Collapse -
xbox 360
by ljl1450 / December 7, 2010 1:43 AM PST

will xbox 360 ever realize the power of internet tv or a web browser

Collapse -
There's a rumor...
by jpfalcone CNET staff / December 7, 2010 1:52 AM PST
In reply to: xbox 360
Collapse -
MS TV Service

How much stock do you put into the rumors that MS will be offering some sort of subscription TV service to XBOX 360 owners? Game changer?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.