TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Internet-ready Blu-ray players live chat with CNET editor, Matthew Moskovciak

by CNET Event admin / November 5, 2010 3:14 AM PDT
***This event has ended ***

See below for transcript of this event.

Nearly every Blu-ray player doubles as an online entertainment device, with services like Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube (to name just a few). Is a Blu-ray player all you really need to access the full panoply of online video content?
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet-ready Blu-ray players live chat with CNET editor, Matthew Moskovciak
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet-ready Blu-ray players live chat with CNET editor, Matthew Moskovciak
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm ready for questions!
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / December 14, 2010 1:27 AM PST

Hey everyone! I'm ready for your questions about internet-ready Blu-ray players. Fire away.

Collapse -
Can Blu-ray players play all DVDs regardless of region?

Prior to Blu-ray, DVDs had regional DRM restrictions such as PAL and NTSC. Can today's Blu-rRay players play any DVD regardless of region? In other words, are they region-free?

Collapse -
Region restriction still apply to Blu-ray players
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / December 14, 2010 1:29 AM PST
Collapse -
How do I see this

Nothing is showing on my screen, no buttons to push to watch/participate.

Collapse -
The chat should be showing up now
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / December 14, 2010 1:30 AM PST
In reply to: How do I see this

There's no video, it's just a chat.

Collapse -
Internet-ready Blu-ray players

I cannot see the video. Or is it just questions and answers?

Collapse -
No video, just a live chat
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / December 14, 2010 1:30 AM PST

Just type your questions in and I'll be answering as many as I can.

Collapse -
I Can get CNET tech Reviews on my Roku

But not on My Samsung Blu Ray - what does it take to add content to a Blu ray player?

Collapse -
Generally, you can't add content to a Blu-ray player
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / December 14, 2010 1:32 AM PST

Blu-ray players are pretty locked-down in terms of what content they offer, so you can't add services that aren't offered. You'd need Samsung to add the service to your Blu-ray player for you to watch it.

Collapse -

I am suppose to be buying a Blu-ray and I am told to make sure it is bluetooth enabled - what will this allow you to do?

Collapse -
I'm not sure why someone would require Bluetooth
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / December 14, 2010 2:25 AM PST
In reply to: Bluetooth

Standalone Blu-ray players generally use infrared technology for their remotes, rather than Bluetooth. Bluetooth is not something you should be concerned with when buying a standalone Blu-ray player. (The PS3 does use Bluetooth.)

Collapse -
upgrading my home theater

Will I get all the internet functionality with a blu-ray device? Do I need to worry about av receiver Ethernet ?

Collapse -
Blu-Ray Media Centers?

Are there any Blu-Ray players that offer Internet Content as well as being able to stream video files from your media server(drobo)?

Collapse -
Yes, many are DLNA-friendly
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / December 14, 2010 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: Blu-Ray Media Centers?

I don't know the specifics of the Drobo, but many Blu-ray players offer DLNA-streaming in addition to streaming content from online media services like Netflix. They many not offer all the compatibility of a more dedicated devices (like the Boxee Box), but they're still good for those that just need basic streaming.

Collapse -
Apple tv or Internet ready blu-ray player?

Which is a better value?

Collapse -
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / December 14, 2010 1:34 AM PST

I covered this question briefly recently:

But the general idea is that if you're interested in Blu-ray playback and are content with major streaming services (Netflix, etc.), a Blu-ray player can be a better value.

Collapse -
Region Free

Are there any region free Blu-ray players?

Collapse -
Regular DVD vs 3D

If I convert a regular movie to 3D using Roxio's 2011 program, does it make a difference if I use what I will call a regular DVD vs a blue-ray dvd?

Collapse -

Is all the internet content available thru the DVD, like Google, etc

Collapse -
STB like Roku or Blu-ray player?

For all the online streaming content, is a small STB like the Roku a better way to get all that content, or a Blu-ray player with many of the same streaming sources, but most likely a very limited update path for new sources? Example: Hulu Plus just came to Roku boxes, but very few (if any) Blu-ray players have this yet. A buddy of mine wants to get a Blu-ray player just for online content. I Think the Roku product is much more comprehensive. Thoughts?

Collapse -
You're right
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / December 14, 2010 1:37 AM PST

If you're looking for a product that is going to continue to receive updates, Roku and Apple TV are more likely to get additional services in the future. On the other hand, if you're happy with the services currently offered on a Blu-ray player, you're also getting Blu-ray playback, which is something that will never be offered on dedicated streaming boxes.

Collapse -
Hulu Plus availability on Blue Ray players?

Are any manufacturers offering this in addition to netflix, etc.

Collapse -
I've tested Hulu on the Samsung BD-C6900
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / December 14, 2010 1:42 AM PST
Collapse -
difference between network ready TV, BR and media player?

Enter text here.

Collapse -

What devices stream Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, and CBS?

Collapse -
Any advantage over PS3

Do internet ready blu-ray players have any real advantages over a PS3?

Collapse -
The biggest factor is price
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / December 14, 2010 1:40 AM PST
In reply to: Any advantage over PS3

You can get a solid Blu-ray player with Wi-Fi for well under $200 now, which is much less than a PS3. Standalone Blu-ray players are also significantly faster in terms of load times and provide an easier user experience for tech novices.

However, if you're a tech-enthusiast and will use all of its functionality, the PS3 offers an outstanding set of features for the price. It's one of the best home theater values out there.

Collapse -
wireless home network router

What size type of router do I need to make sure it works espcially if I have two computers using the same router.

Collapse -
wireless or wired

I'm looking at getting a bluray player to watch netflix, will connecting with a ethernet cable give better quailty than wifi signal?

Collapse -
Wired is definitely more reliable
by MoskovciakM CNET staff / December 14, 2010 1:44 AM PST
In reply to: wireless or wired

While I've certainly had many Wi-Fi setups that work fine with streaming video, a wired Ethernet connection is more reliable in my experience. Of course, many people don't have the choice of using Ethernet in the living room, which is why Wi-Fi is a nice option.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.