Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Windows Vista

General discussion

Internet problems.

by The Frederick / July 17, 2007 9:32 PM PDT

Every day, often several times a day, my Internet will stop working. I'll just reload a page, and I'll get an "Unable to connect" error. Then nothing works until I restart the computer. It happens randomly. I'm still able to ping websites, though.

I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium, I connect to the Internet through a PCI NIC and to a router through the onboard NIC.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet problems.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet problems.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The Frederick... same happening here...
by glenn30 / July 18, 2007 12:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Internet problems.

It only happens from time to time but not necessarily several times a day. When the issue occurs its as if I am offline but in reality its still connected.

Like you the only solution I have found is to get offline and reconnect. Quite annoying if you have something important in progress. Sad

Glenn

Collapse -
Well...
by The Frederick / July 23, 2007 5:03 PM PDT

Mine's a tad different. I have an always on cable connection, and the only way to get it to work again is to restart the comp.

Collapse -
Maybe.....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 18, 2007 12:36 AM PDT

..it's a browser issue.. Many are having a problem when using Internet Explorer 7.. Have you tried using a different browser? If not, try something like the free Firefox at the link below:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif, in my case...
by glenn30 / July 18, 2007 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe.....

I use nothing but Firefox... updated to version 2.0.0.5 this morning. Will see if the issue continues using the new version.

Glenn

Collapse -
(NT) Then Have You Checked For Updated NIC Drivers?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 18, 2007 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Grif, in my case...
Collapse -
MySpace...
by ShamaMama414 / July 21, 2007 10:43 PM PDT

Do you or anybody on your network use MySpace regularly? If so that's your problem but don't ask me why. I learned this after much frustration trying different things on the computers (2 XP Home and 1 Vista HP)then moving on to hardware changing, adapter, router and asking cable company for a new modem! None of it worked and this continued to happen. I ran across some info about others having this issue on Netgears forums and searched out more info and this is a big problem for many many users. I have three teenagers and they use it constantly but I banned them for 3 days as a test and it never happened once!! Then within 10 minutes of them logging on the first time there it was again.

Collapse -
Nope.
by The Frederick / July 22, 2007 5:58 PM PDT
In reply to: MySpace...

Nope, no MySpace for me. Can't stand the crap.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.