Internet Service Providers forum

Question

Internet playing up..at wits end!

by sean33--2008 / February 12, 2012 1:00 PM PST

Hello there..sorry to trouble you all but am in desperate need of help/guidance.
Until 2 days ago my internet was working fine..could access multiple websites at one time,play mmo's etc. but now there is an issue.
When I try to log on to my homepage I get a connection error almost all the time..and accessing my mmo's is also hit and miss..more miss than hit unfortunately.
My computer is getting on,in fact a new one is pretty close but until then..this is all I have and this problem,due to the fact I use the computer as a form of therapy..is very inconvenient/distressing.
Can't understand what is going on as I can access some sites..such as this..and yet others are now timing out.
On checking my problem reports do notice a number of issues that seemed to appear at same time as these issues..
Antimalware Service Executable-MP Tememetry Problem.
2 entries as Host Process for Windows Services-Windows Update Installation Problem.
Microsoft Malware protection Command Line Utility-MP Telemetry Problem.
5 entries Network Diagnostic Framework-Unable to diagnose/repair network problems.
Computer is an Acer Aspire M1610 with Celeron 430 1.80ghz with 2.5gig Ram..
Broadband supplier is Wanadoo/Orange and the modem is a Thomsen Speedtouch USB ADSL PPP model.
Thanks for any help..

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet playing up..at wits end!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet playing up..at wits end!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Continuation from Above Post..
by sean33--2008 / February 12, 2012 1:06 PM PST

Have run the onboard anti-virus and malware programs that Vista has..also used my paid for Advanced System Care 5..malware bytes anti-malware...McAfee Security Scan and CC Cleaner..
The earlier scan did catch some trojans and other nasties..but these have been erased and further scans show no problems in terms of viruses etc. and yet..my internet problems persist..

Collapse -
Check ISP
by bill012 / February 13, 2012 12:38 AM PST

The next step would be to call your ISP and ask them to check the condition of the line between your modem and their equipment. It does not take much to cause errors on DSL. Not sure on your device if you can see this yourself, some devices let you look at the signal quality on the DSL interface.

The best way to determine where the problem is located is to try use a different PC or use your PC at other locations. Because you are using a USB based device this makes it tough. Still if you can try a different PC at your house and if that worked then you know for sure it is your PC that causes it.

If you determine it is the PC then I would be reinstalling the OS from scratch. Some virus do so much damage that it takes longer to track down and fix it than a reinstall.

Collapse -
Answer
Internet playing up..at wits end!
by ceewizard / August 17, 2012 10:44 AM PDT

Contact your ISP, part of the problem might be on there end also. You said you found a few viruses, well...they may have done some damage to your "Windows Sockets". The Windows Sockets consists of these things called "LSP"'s (Layered Service Providers)., and they're linked together like a chain. If for any reason the chain is broken or can't be "reset", you won't be able to connect to the internet. Try WinXP Fix, it might resolve the issue. It has the option to backup your registry, I suggest you exercise that option.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.