Speakeasy

General discussion

Internet in 10 Years

by nekotsuna / November 30, 2012 3:38 PM PST

The Internet of Life
When I think of the internet within ten years, I start picturing the cartoons series like "Futurama" when fry visits the internet and is virtually sucked in while wearing helmets. Or the "Simpson" when Homer in the future opens a spam mail in his mind and a virus takes over. How do you know if such a thing as the internet will exist?

I asked my brother that stated: "The internet will phase out many of the conventional information resources that we use today such as libraries, books, magazines, any paper documentation."

What do I see...

People will get up from bed and walk to their computers and log into work. From the comfort of home will start communicating to others through the net. Visual chats will be conducted for meetings, power point presentation, evaluations, sales, and yes even to fire people. Training would be a YouTube videos of a instructor giving step by step interactions, with ads of course, and controlling your whole monitor screen ( so you won't cheat, like the school software that the teacher use to spy on us) to see the actual video without using ALT+TAB. Hopefully buffering will not be a problem or even exist.

People will communicate through cameras; programs like Skype, face interaction would die. Pro: Families would be able to communicate through cameras without regards of distance. From Salvador to the United States to Canada. Yeah, I have family everywhere. Con: That's it, no more Family gatherings for the holidays. Birthdays will be electronic cards that open and scream happy birthday with techno HD lights flashing all over the room. Kisses will potentially be "XOXO." We will have developed a new language called "Text Abv" where all you would see is "C U 2 NT" or "TTYL" or the famous "LOL." You would virtually be on vacation, ride a horse, be on a roller coaster ride, swim the Great Barrier Reef; all through the net without being their physically.

Shopping would be affect where profit would drop dramatically because of outside countries able to produce items at a cheaper price. You would however get items quick within 5 minutes like the "ACME" products from "Looney Tunes."
You would be able to get any product without leaving the comfort of your home. But that is it; you would never leave home...

Know matter how advance the internet may be, we have the right to choose how to interact. Do we become zombies of the net and be glued on it 24/7; or do we use it properly and still be part of the real world. Will we become like the people from "Wall-E," obese depending on robots. Or become aware of what of our surroundings when it's too late like the "Lorax." Only we can choose and hopefully go down the right path.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet in 10 Years
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet in 10 Years
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) >> Thread moved to the Speakeasy forum
by John.Wilkinson / December 1, 2012 8:33 AM PST
In reply to: Internet in 10 Years
Collapse -
Geezzzz. Thanks a whole heap.
by Steven Haninger / December 1, 2012 9:05 AM PST
DevilHappy
Collapse -
Don't know about all shopping on the internet
by Diana Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 6:47 AM PST
In reply to: Internet in 10 Years

and delivered to your home.

I'm looking for a new dryer and don't want it dropped it off at the door. I want someone to bring it and hook it up and take the old one away.

Diana

Collapse -
That's how we got
by James Denison / December 3, 2012 6:57 AM PST

....both our stove and refrigerator. You can order online from some of the big box stores and have it delivered and installed.

Collapse -
Appliance danger?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 7:29 AM PST

A few years ago we had a certain big name (five letters S___s) deliver and hook up.

I let them do the work and then checked out what the installer had done. The 220VAC cord to the dryer was wired up and put through the hole in the sheet metal on the back without any visible guard or grommet to protect the insulation.

(me) Does this look right to you?
(installer) Why? What's wrong?

I can only imagine the liability claims that could result from untrained installers.
Bob

PS. Yes, I explained the problem and asked if they had used all the parts that came with the machine. Back to the truck and I soon heard "Found it."

Collapse -
Better than my "install".
by James Denison / December 3, 2012 9:25 AM PST
In reply to: Appliance danger?

My stove was old hardwired direct to the appliance. New stove came with a pigtail. 10-12 Gauge wire was too heavy duty to wire direct to new stove. They refused to install the necessary box to plug the pigtail into. I ended up getting a 3 wire "Y" box at Ace and wiring it myself. I do wish it had a proper 4th ground wire.

Collapse -
Speaking of house grounds
by Steven Haninger / December 3, 2012 6:07 PM PST

Our place seems to use an old standard of clamping wires to the cold side of copper plumbing. I've not seen how this is done in homes using PVC or other non metallic pipes. I once installed a roof antenna and had to drive a copper plated rod several feet through the soil as a ground for the mast and rotater and I know that such have also been used as house electrical grounds. I'm skeptical of the integrity of these and of cold water grounds. Years ago, our water meter was replaced with a newer type that was wired to an outside device so it could be read without entering the house. The inside meter housing is now some plastic. This meant adding a copper wire as a shunt across the meter. Recently I noticed some copper joints beginning to get a whitish hue on the exposed solder. I found that I could measure current across the meter and that the copper shunt was loose. I fixed that as best I could. Other than the copper plumbing we also have iron pipe for gas and sewer. These too will act as grounds. One thing I remember learning about in electronics classes was the effect of "ground loops" within a system. Unless the escaping current only has one path to follow to ground, you can get trouble. I'd hate to have a solder joint fail within a wall because of some grounding problem in the electrical system of the house.

Collapse -
If you have a metal cold water pipe
by Roger NC / December 3, 2012 8:10 PM PST

it's required to be bonded to the grounding system.

Normally today you're still require to have a separate adequate ground to the electrical system. I think now it's more thought of as grounding the water system than using the pipe to ground the electrical.

Of course when almost everyone had galvanized pipe exclusively and it ran several feet underground approaching the house, it made a fine grounding for the electrical system.

I lived in a mobilehome once that the only metal pipe was a 6 inch nipple coming though the floor for the water main. It was required to be bonded to the electrical grounding system that was grounded by an eight foot ground rod.

Around here, often now they require two ground rods a minimum distance apart, bonded together and to the electrical grounding conductor.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.