Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

internet IE7 or 8 or Firefox, Chrome or Safari

by sage444 / September 25, 2010 9:53 PM PDT

Just tried to go onto a site and it came up that I needed to update my IE server. Have tried IE8 and did not like it because my computer kept locking up to the point that I had to do an entire reformat. So of my other choices, Firefox, Chrome or Safari which is the best? Thanks for your timely advice.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: internet IE7 or 8 or Firefox, Chrome or Safari
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: internet IE7 or 8 or Firefox, Chrome or Safari
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: browser choice
by Kees Bakker / September 25, 2010 9:55 PM PDT

I'd Safari is too much Apple. That leaves Firefox and Chrome. As both are free, you can try both and use what you like most.

Kees

Collapse -
Try all of them
by Jimmy Greystone / September 26, 2010 5:16 AM PDT

Try all of them, and don't forget Opera. Keep the one, or even ones, you like best.

Collapse -
Chrome, Opera, Safari, Firefox ????
by sage444 / September 26, 2010 10:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Try all of them

You mean you can have more than one Internet server???? Why would you need more than one? Can you still use Outlook Express for your email account with these servers? Are they quite different or very similar to each other? Are the ones listed above superior to IE? I have heard that IE is more suseptible to virus, is this true? Do you need to worry about antivir, spyware, etc if you have the other servers? Thanks for your response to all of these questions.

Collapse -
Sort of
by ac1818 / September 26, 2010 12:26 PM PDT

Opera, Chrome, Firefox etc are called web browsers and yes you can have more than one of them installed.

Collapse -
Yes
by Jimmy Greystone / September 26, 2010 12:58 PM PDT

Yes, you can still use Outlook Express, but that uses Internet Explorer, which is pretty much the only browser with any kind of malware problem. Malware is a different class of threat than a virus.

There are still plenty of other ways malware can get on your system, but not using IE kneecaps a great many of them. Not using Outlook Express will cut down on the amount of spam you get, and possibly send out unknowingly.

And also, as pointed out, they are web browsers not servers.

Collapse -
Opera, Chrome, Firefox
by sage444 / September 26, 2010 10:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes

So which is the server or do you have to use a server and its importance in all of this internet stuff? What is the advantage of having several web browsers? Thanks again.

Collapse -
Re: server
by Kees Bakker / September 26, 2010 10:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Opera, Chrome, Firefox

The server is where all those data you look at is stored. Google has a million or so. CNET has one or more. Behind every url (like www.forums.cnet.com) is a server hidden. You only need a server if you're making your own website. Then you start hiring a small part of some hardware somewhere. And if your site grows and grows, you need more and more hardware.

The only thing that is important at webbrowsers is that you have Internet Explorer to visit the Windows update site. For all other sites (in principle) you can use any browser you want. Just try which one you like most, or simply stick to IE.

Kees

Collapse -
Like said
by Jimmy Greystone / September 26, 2010 10:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Opera, Chrome, Firefox

Like said, you don't need a server. That's for website administrators and the like. You need a client to those servers, which is what the browser is.

There is no real advantage to having more than one, assuming the one isn't IE. Each has its own unique set of things it does better. Firefox has a very robust extension system, which is heads, shoulders, leaps, and bounds beyond anything any other browser has, plus it's sort of the original alternative browser. Opera is probably the single fastest browser out there. Safari brings a bit of the Mac OS X experience to Windows. Chrome is kind of what happens when you let some software engineers loose. It's a highly experimental browser, trying out all kinds of different ideas to see what works and what doesn't.

Collapse -
Safari, firefox, chrome
by sage444 / September 27, 2010 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Like said

Okay, I install Firefox, because it is the oldest, when do I uninstall IE to get it off the system if it attracks stuff I do not want? Also, if I need to get rid of outlook express, what should I use for my email and will that mean that I will need to change my email address? How do I save my emails and address book when I change the email company? Thanks again. Jen

Collapse -
Re: questions
by Kees Bakker / September 27, 2010 7:23 AM PDT

1. Don't uninstall IE. One of better reasons is that you can't.
2. The best alternative for Outlook Express is Thunderbird from http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en/thunderbird/

When you switch to Thunderbird, there's no need to change your email-address. You can link it to the same 'email account' as Outlook Express is linked to. That site says they even import your old mail and old addressbook from Outlook Express into Thunderbird.
It's a change, and you might like the result. But it really isn't a necessary change.

Kees

Collapse -
back from Jen
by sage444 / September 28, 2010 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: questions

So I keep IE but when I log onto the internet, I use Thunderbird icon instead of IE. IE is like hiding in the background and not being used. Is this correct? Then I set up my email so it will go through the new browser. Do not need to change my email address. So I am surfing the web with more safety than I have with IE. If I do not like Thunderbird, then I can try Firefox, Safari, Chrome or the other one. I can delete these unlike I cannot delete IE that is the reason that it has to remain in hiding.

Now, earlier someone mentioned that I should use another emailer than Outlook Express because it is more suseptible to malware (I don't know what that is but it sounds omnious). So if I should do away with outlook express what do you recommend and can I transfer email and addresses to a new emailer account?

Thanks again for all your fabulour advice. Jen

Collapse -
Re: Thunderbird
by Kees Bakker / September 28, 2010 5:28 AM PDT
In reply to: back from Jen

- Thunderbird is a mail program (and could replace Outlook Express).
- Firefox is a browser (and can be used in stead of Internet Explorer).

Personally I see no reason to replace Outlook Express. But others, like Jimmy above, think otherwise.

Kees

Collapse -
by sage444 / September 28, 2010 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Thunderbird

Okay, thanks 4 all your advice. I am going to download firefox n see how it goes. I am printing all of your wonderful advice so I will have a guide.

Do any of u know how 2 make a tv dvd slideshow, what is needed and type of program 2 use? I have left 3 messages on digital photography n audio software n have had 0 response.

Thanks again. Jen

Collapse -
Last question
by sage444 / September 28, 2010 7:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply

Have downloaded Firefox but I cannot incorporate my outlook express or hotmail accounts. I want an icon on my toolbar. Thanks for your help. Jen

Collapse -
Firefox, Chrome
by Fearless988 / October 5, 2010 5:21 PM PDT

Firefox and chrome is the best. I think so, i need use many add-on on my FireFox.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.