Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Internet Explorer Won't Finish Downloads

by fiefer1 / February 4, 2009 12:56 AM PST

I've probably reached the end of the internet trying to solve this problem, hope you can help.

My laptop is running on XP, just had a new HD installed. I connect to my wireless fine, but can't seem to download anything large, such as Firefox installer. Results are inconsitent, specifically, the download progess bar will get anywhere from 5 to 75% before pausing, or a file is downloaded incomplete and is thus corrupt.

What's strange is the first few days I had got my computer back, it was able to download large files with ease.

FYI:

- I am able to play YouTube videos all the way through
- My HD/Cache has plenty of space
- I'm not saving downloads on my desktop
- I recently uninstalled my Anti-Virus to see if that was the problem, it was not
- My roommate's downloads via wireless work fine, so it must be my computer's settings

Any tips? Again, my computer will not complete the downloading files larger than ~3MB (the specific MB figure, I'm not sure of). Thanks for your help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer Won't Finish Downloads
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer Won't Finish Downloads
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Scans didn't find anything...
by fiefer1 / February 4, 2009 4:55 AM PST

I was actually able to download both, the latter (SuperAntiSpyware) being 5.68 MB.

Neither program found any Malicious stuff or Spyware.

Mozilla Firefox setup is about 7.1 MB, but it is not able to complete that download. Additionally, anything larger than that doesn't complete either. Again, I have a new harddrive so my settings may be out of whack...but other than the download problem my internet is working full-speed.

What do you think the issue is?

Collapse -
Or you use a DAP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2009 5:21 AM PST

Your posts have too little detail. Supply at least the "words in red."

Any DAP, any IE plugin are suspect.

Collapse -
System Info
by fiefer1 / February 4, 2009 11:02 AM PST
In reply to: Or you use a DAP

System:

Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Computer:

Dell Inspiron 6000
Intel Pentium M Processer
2.13 Ghz
294 Mhz504 MB of RAM
Physical Address Extension

Wireless:
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

Current Wireless Connection:
Speed: 54.0 Mbps
Signal Strength: Excellent

Let me know if you need any more info to help diagnose, and hopefully solve, this issue.

Collapse -
Sounds like you are on wifi.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2009 11:05 AM PST
In reply to: System Info

Try it wired to the router.

Collapse -
Download Worked
by fiefer1 / February 4, 2009 12:31 PM PST

Thanks for your continued help. Downloaded Mozilla Firefox (7-plus MB) while connected directly (wired) to the router.

So it looks like it's a problem with my wireless.

FYI, Wireless Router is:

Linksys WRT54G

Unfortunately, I can't use the internet by direct wire all the time, I need to work wireless, but large downloads don't finish. Let me know what other steps we can take to solve the problem.

Collapse -
Over in our Networking forum we have
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 4, 2009 11:21 PM PST
In reply to: Download Worked

In the Networking forum we have a stick post. In short the wifi setup we like to see is:

1. Latest router firmware.
2. Router defaults except what's needed for the ISP.
3. SSID broadcasting.
4. WPA.

And a new one. Turn off AP or Client Isolation if you need to share printers and files.
Bob

Collapse -
All these check out
by fiefer1 / February 5, 2009 11:27 AM PST

Ran these steps yet still have same problem.

Collapse -
(NT) Ouch. Start shopping for a new router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2009 10:38 PM PST
In reply to: All these check out
Collapse -
i installed a different browser. i gave up.
by jrlars / October 11, 2010 3:13 PM PDT

Yeah i've had a similar problem on my Toshiba with windows xp.

i just gave up trying to fix it. i tried scanning, reinstalling, and running on safe mode. i just gave up, must just be an issue with downloads on internet explorer. i just downloaded firefox and google chrome on another computer and transfered them.

the downloads run to completion on google chrome but when i try to download the same file with internet explorer the results are still the same anywhere from 5 to 79% completion before it just stops.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.