Computer Help forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer Will Not Pull Up My Home Page

by SeaIsleDon / July 26, 2010 10:51 AM PDT

When I click on my IE icon on my desktop, I get a blank screen with (about:blank) in the address bar. I have tried to go to Tools>Internet Options>General Tab and (about:blank) is in the homepage tab box also. I have tried to change it both by putting the homepage URL directly in, and have clicked on use current while on my regular homepage.

My OS is XP, and my browsere is IE8.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Don

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer Will Not Pull Up My Home Page
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer Will Not Pull Up My Home Page
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some Thoughts and Questions...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 27, 2010 4:04 AM PDT

1. What is your homepage?

2. Does it work if you select a different homepage?

3. Tried resetting the home page by navigating to your homepage manually, then open Internet Options, then in the "General" tab, click on the "Use Current" button, then "Apply", then OK.

4. If you haven't already and because "About:blank" could possibly be related to a malware infection, please download, install, update, then run a full system scan with BOTH of the free malware scanners below:

Malwarebytes Antimalware

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
IE homepage problems related to about:blank malware
by SeaIsleDon / July 27, 2010 1:43 PM PDT

Grif,

My homepage has been MSN.
Yes I tried different homepages, and even after clicking "Use current then apply", it still reverted to the about:blank mode.
It is definitely some type of malware infection.
I ran both free malware scanners you suggested, and it has fixed my homepage issue. Am now opening to my normal homepage when I click on Internet Explorer.
I'm not 100% convinced that I'm completely rid of the infection. I will let you know if any more problems arise. Once again, CNET forum has helped me big time. Thank you very much.

Don

Collapse -
Continue To Run Both Tools Till....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 27, 2010 2:09 PM PDT

...nothing is found.. It would also be a good idea to run both tools while in Safe Mode as well.. Sometimes, there may be a few items which are more easily removed in Safe Mode.

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I am running both tools, but........
by SeaIsleDon / July 28, 2010 1:35 AM PDT

actually the Super Antispyware Removal Tool is what seemed to fix it. After the fix, and before receiving your last response, I uninstalled both tools because I was having some problems with the start-up pop-ups related to the two tools and my existing Spyhunter. After uninstalling them, the same problem resurfaced, so I reinstalled, and came to realize that a box that popped up during install, stating "Home Page Change Detected" was the key to the fix. It had me type in my desired homepage, and pick "Block Change". After that it has worked fine so far. I will keep you posted of any other developments. Thanks again.

Don

Collapse -
test reply subject title
by chinwillie25 / July 28, 2010 1:55 AM PDT

test reply message body

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.