Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer Stops Working after 10 minutes

by jennx / August 24, 2005 9:00 AM PDT

For the past few days my Internet Explorer Browser and Firefox Browser stop working after 10 minutes of the computer being turned on. The only way it will work again, is if I restart the computer, and then within 10 minutes or so if it being restarted the browser will stop working.

I'll click on a link, and the page will just stay white, and then a "page cannot be displayed" message will come up.

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition, with Service Pack 2 (SP 2 has been installed since it came out, so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem) It's also networked to another computer in the house, and the browsers on the other computer work fine.

I've also ran Norton Anti Virus 2005 and it didn't find any viruses. My computer is also as free of spyware as you could be. All temporary files cleared, etc.

Does anybody have any clue as to what's wrong and how I can fix it?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer Stops Working after 10 minutes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer Stops Working after 10 minutes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have the exact same problem with my browsers
by Geary / August 24, 2005 9:19 AM PDT

Jennx, I have been having the same problems as you with my browsers. My computer is free of viruses and clean of spyware. When I turn the computer on sometime it starts immediately or after about 10 mins that page saying "page cannot be displayed" "cannot find Internet Explorer." I turn it off again and sometime it comes back normally. I am waiting to hear what advice you get for this problem as well.I am running Windows XP SP2 home edition also. I am not networked with another computer. Gearyat

Collapse -
by happy7117 / October 8, 2005 4:48 AM PDT

It's just with my music- sound-- I hear nothing-
no sound from my computer after a certain period of short time-- just stops-- i play a video game no sound or music...what gives?? lets help each other out.

Collapse -
Old thread
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 8, 2005 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: ME TOO

Happy, it's not wise to post your problems on an old thread as they may not get seen to.

If none of the suggestions in this thread help you, make a new discussion in the main forum, include your system specifications and full details of the problem and see if you get any responses there.

Good luck.

Collapse -
The page cannot be displayed
by Cursorcowboy / August 24, 2005 9:36 PM PDT

The article [Q316894] describes and offers troubleshooting tips in the following areas, of which there are three other parts covering other important items:

a. I get a message saying ''The page cannot be displayed''.

b. Web pages don't show pictures or play sound.

c. My browser doesn't start at the page I want.

d. Web sites don't remember me.

e. Internet Explorer crashes.

f. I get a message saying ''You are not authorized to view this page''.

g. I need to view a Web page when I can't go on line.

Collapse -
The Page cannot be displayed
by taboma / October 8, 2005 1:48 PM PDT

Virus? No!
Software issues? Yes!
I wonder why so many on the PC platform blame Virus issues for a software issue and problems?

I have a Mac. If that happened to me it would be a software problem. The Mac System has not had a virus since 1998.
Check out the software issue with a PC Guru.
There are many here to help you.

(Cowboy, You are right on!)

Collapse -
by kcwalters / September 8, 2005 9:15 AM PDT

I am having the exact same problem as you described so well. I have tried everything execept a total rebuild. HELP!

Collapse -
(NT) internet Explorer Stops working after 10 min
by tbronder / September 10, 2005 1:11 AM PDT

you may need to clear out all temp files
you may need to clear out all cookies
you may need in increase you memory
you may need to defrag you hard drive

Collapse -
I'm haveing the same problem with the same desctription.
by SeanGH / September 10, 2005 4:18 AM PDT

How do I defrag my internet?

Will any of these tips work?

Collapse -
IE stops working
by taboma / September 10, 2005 1:56 PM PDT

Why have two browsers working at the same time?
Conflict issue here?
Maybe the browsers are confused. Cannot decide which is in charge? Gives up and shuts down!?

Has happened to me opening with Safari and swithing to Firefox. About ten minutes sounds right for a crash.
Memory issue? Conflict issue?

Collapse -
by VSINGHAL0402 / September 23, 2005 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: IE stops working

I am having the similar problem. It is some kind of virus/spyware/trojen a very bad one. STOP using the computer or logging into any sites. I tried all kind of virus/spyware programs and nothing is helping. I found only one thing 'network.exe' trojen on my computer. It stopped working couple of days and still don't know how to fix it. I reinstalled norton (as I was not able to get the latest updates) but no use.

Is anyone able to fix the problem.

Collapse -
Has anybody tried these 2 possible fixes?
by crazeebob2000 / September 23, 2005 9:09 AM PDT
In reply to: SAME PROBLEM

One is called "IEFix", the other is "WinsockxpFix",hope this does you all some good.

Collapse -
Having the same issues but with all browsers
by tx_blond / September 27, 2005 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: SAME PROBLEM

Hi guys,

There seems to be a major problem going around lately and no one seems to be able to fix it...
I have had this problem for several months now and run 4 computers networked together, all running Windows XP. Two are wired to the network and 1 laptop and 1 PC are wireless. The laptop, the wireless PC and 1 wired PC are working with no problems at all. Unfortunately, the 4th is a whole 'nother story.

Aside from having the browsers stop working after about 15 SECONDS (I'm jealous of those of you who get a whole 10 minutes) and everything else such as Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger still going fine, when I have this 4th computer hooked up to the network, none of the other computers can access the internet or network and I just get "page cannot be displayed" errors. In addition, this usually also resets my router automatically.

After about 1 month of trying to figure out what to do, I called Dell support and they said it sounded like a virus...something I hadn't thought of before or seen in various posts online. So I ran Norton Antivirus - it found nothing. Then I saw a post online about AVG Antivirus. Installed that, ran it and found the bug.

The computer worked beautifully for about 3 days BUT then went back to the same old problems again with no rhyme or reason. So I tried AVG again, it found nothing, am now trying out Computer Associates EZ Antivirus software and although it finds a few bugs that doesn't seem to help. I've also tried various spyware softwares and just about everything else I can think of and get no where.

Anyone who knows how to resolve this is a real life saver and good luck to you out there with the same issues!!!

Collapse -
Had the same problem but found a VERY simple fix
by tx_blond / September 27, 2005 6:19 PM PDT

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to let you know that after I posted my extensive info on my own similar experience, I have found a simple and easy fix that I hope will help everyone else out a well.

I had been on several forums and sites that had suggested the following:

Go to My Network Places
View Network Connections
Then view the Properties of each connection you have and under the "Authentication" tab, make sure that the "Enable network access control using IEEE 802.1x" box is NOT checked.

I had tried this before but only did it on my LAN connection which didn't eliminate the problem. But when I also did the same on my network bridge, the problem was fixed (knock on wood).

Sometimes when new software is installed or uninstalled, it defaults back to being checked and I think this was my problem last week...

Hope this simple fix works for some other very frustrated people and good luck for all those who are still having problems!

Collapse -
One other thing about this problem
by tx_blond / September 28, 2005 2:12 AM PDT

I have also run into lots of issues with file sharing software creating this sort of problem. The computer works great and then once a file sharing program is started, the connection drops and the server resets itself. This happens repeatedly every couple of minutes. Perhaps this is the cause for some other people's problem. I was running sharing software for months with no problem whatsoever but now it seems that anytime i have one on at all the only thing which functions properly is it, messenger services and that's about it. No internet browsers respond except for the first 5-10 seconds and then everything resets and going into the same cycle.

Just some food for thought

Collapse -
found some solution
by VSINGHAL0402 / September 29, 2005 5:17 PM PDT

I don't think there is a simple fix for this problem. I found that there was a folder created 'c:\Recycler\.system32\' None of the virus programs were able to find this folder and that's why were not able to fix the problem. It has a network.exe file running on it. I think it's some kind of Trojan which tracks all kind of things we do online. It tracks even every keys you type on u'r computer and may send all the passwords to the person who has put the bug on your computer. I am not sure just thinking that this is the case. I have killed all the appl and removed the folder. I even removed all the registory with network or something similar on it. BTW in the folder I did see some text file and it was quite helpful in debugging.

My internet is working fine but I am thinking of rebuilding the computer to get rid of all the traces of the trojan. I am sure it's working fine but just worried about it.

Collapse -
web browser problems
by SG-9 / December 2, 2009 7:00 AM PST

You will need to remove or block VSDATANT.SYS

You will find it with ''search file'' or in c: Windows/System32

another file that might be causing you a problem is

parvdm.sys. Make a back up before blocking or deleting.

use on-line armor to scan and block these files

Collapse -
You saw the date of this discussion?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 3, 2009 5:42 AM PST
In reply to: web browser problems

These old ones tend to disappear back into the vaults.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.