Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer "Reminder" pop-up?

by sweethoneypie11 / April 27, 2006 8:45 AM PDT

As of today, I've been getting an internet explorer "Reminder" pop-up.
On the top it says "Reminder Thursday April 27 6:44pm and it shows me the usual "the page cannot be displayed"....
I have to end the task in the task manager, but it keeps popping up every few minutes.
What is this?!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer "Reminder" pop-up?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer "Reminder" pop-up?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
scan
by shankru85 / April 27, 2006 10:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
did not work... r/o
by sweethoneypie11 / April 27, 2006 1:43 PM PDT
In reply to: scan

The pop-up will come up without a name, so I have no idea what it is even if I go looking for it. The only thing I can do is END TASK on it.
Next to the title bar (with the Reminder and date) it looks like a tiny icon and I think I've made it out to be a globe with a satellite.... does that sound familiar?
Maybe it's a Windows update reminder, but for some reason cannot display the info? Ughhhh I don't know what to do!

Collapse -
more things to try
by linkit / April 27, 2006 2:24 PM PDT
In reply to: did not work... r/o

1. Go through Add/Remove programs. Look for strange programs.

2. Install free ZoneAlarm. It's a firewall that will block all attempts to access the Internet. You can allow or deny access to the Internet as the program makes the attempt. It helps to identify these programs, too.

3. Globe with satellite: Earthlink.net ?

Collapse -
still nothing! r/o
by sweethoneypie11 / April 27, 2006 2:54 PM PDT
In reply to: more things to try

I could scream, this isn't fair.
I'm going to install the ZoneAlarm.
But there is nothing fishy in the add/remove programs.
And it's not Earthlink.
The graphic is so poor and tiny, I don't think it's a satellite anymore.... it's brown, green and blue.

Collapse -
have you scanned your computer?
by jonah jones / April 27, 2006 3:03 PM PDT
In reply to: still nothing! r/o

are you using an anti-virus program?
do you have ad-aware?
spybot?
Ccleaner?
ewido?

scan and delete whatever is found
reboot
if the problem persists, turn system restore OFF
and re-scan...

Collapse -
RE: ''Reminder'' pop-up
by caktus / April 27, 2006 3:14 PM PDT
In reply to: still nothing! r/o

Do you have some kind of calendar, schedule, or task reminder set up on the system that a 404 error page may have somehow been leaked to?

If so, such would probably be found in MSCONFIG, Task Schedular, All Programs Startup folder, or Add/Remove Programs.

Also, you might do a system search for ''the page cannot be displayed''. Perhaps something was saved for viewing offline with and synchnization schedule. Assuming you have nothing important saved for offline viewing you could do a Disc Cleanup and select ''Offline Web pages''.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
found it! HP Easy Internet sign up? what is this? r/o
by sweethoneypie11 / April 27, 2006 3:27 PM PDT

How do I get rid of it, it is saying access denied.
I don't use this easy internet sign up thing, but it's in my Program Files.... help!

Collapse -
HP says OK
by linkit / April 27, 2006 3:45 PM PDT
Collapse -
thank you all so much r/o
by sweethoneypie11 / April 27, 2006 3:57 PM PDT
In reply to: HP says OK

It's very odd that this program isn't in my add/remove programs, so I deleted the folder.
We'll see what happens.
Zone Alarm seems to be pretty AMAZING so far!

Thank you all so much, this forum and the moderators are stellar, I am always coming here for advice!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.