Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer Problem - Hijacked Home Page

by rjsheldon / June 9, 2005 8:15 PM PDT

On my brand new IBM Thinkpad w/XP, the home page for my Internet Explorer gets changed back to MSN.com when I reboot. I reset it to my favorate page which stays there for days, but when I re-boot it always goes back.

What setting is Microsoft punishing me for not setting?

Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer Problem - Hijacked Home Page
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer Problem - Hijacked Home Page
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Widely discussed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2005 9:26 PM PDT

Rather than repeat prior discussions, look at SPYBOT and in it's options you can change the homepage and lock it.

Bob

Collapse -
SPYBOT??
by rjsheldon / June 13, 2005 9:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Widely discussed.

I tried to find SPYBOT. Where is it? I'm sorry to be a dunce, but this is akin to finding the pickles in the fridge, which I can never find either. Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Spybot found with google.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2005 10:34 PM PDT
In reply to: SPYBOT??

It's out there, but the lock home page feature in Spybot is behind the milk cartons so to speak.

I go to the "Immunize" section. The "Lock IE Start Page Settings" can be ticked or unticked depending on the effect you want.

Bob

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / June 9, 2005 9:28 PM PDT

If you joined an MSN Internet Access account, the home page site could be specifically set by the provider from whom the software was liscened and there is little if anything which can be done to change it. Microsoft has licensed their software out and an ISP has the option to specified a specific home page, and if they do decide, there may be no way of changing it. Did you do such or what does your ISP say about it.

Collapse -
Firefox
by dagger906 / June 10, 2005 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:

Switch to Firefox, get rid of IE. Even if you clean up the malware now, it's only a matter of time before your homepage is hijacked again. And about that ISP... Now, it's just like how Microsoft does things, are you surprised?

Collapse -
Got to keep IE
by little eagle / June 19, 2005 1:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Firefox

IE needs to be cleaned up and updated. To keep the system clean. But you do not have to use it for anything but updating windows. FireFox for everything else.

Collapse -
by rjsheldon / June 13, 2005 9:08 PM PDT

I have never had a MSN account. I do have MSN Messinger, which I'd trash in a minute if I thought Bill G. would let me.

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / June 13, 2005 9:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply

1. FYI, the forum does have a search button at the top of the main page, and also many members have learned to use the Web search ''Google''. Otherwise, try the ''Computer Cops'' site and find the program/file in question on page 3.

2. ''Shoot the Messenger.''

Collapse -
Get a Spyware killer dude
by cdxskier / June 17, 2005 8:42 AM PDT

The way to solve it is to get a good spyware killer from download.com

Collapse -
Microsoft Antispyware will fix it
by bammike / June 16, 2005 11:23 PM PDT
Collapse -
Get this
by mackman / June 17, 2005 1:33 AM PDT

CWshredder and dl and install winpatrol(free) which will alert you whenever someone or something tries to install or change

Collapse -
locking the home page
by used them all / June 17, 2005 4:09 AM PDT

Spybot Search and Destroy will lock your home page settings. Others to try are Webroot Spyware Sweeper, Microsoft Anti-spyware, X-Cleaner and Counterspy.

Collapse -
IE
by adavid / June 18, 2005 12:26 AM PDT

want the BEST solution?
STOP using internet explorer......it sucks.....pop ups....hijacks....spyware....even WITH Service Pack 2.....use Mozilla Firefox .....no popups....no hijacks....try it, what do you have to lose?

Collapse -
The New Netscape 8.0
by rmiller8 / June 18, 2005 1:55 AM PDT
In reply to: IE

Give Netscape 8.0 a try. The latest version is 8.0.2 - just released. Tabbing is improved and user friendly. Built in Form fill feature is great. You can set up multiple sites to open at the same time as your home page - very nice if you have 2 or more sites that you want to check at start up.

Collapse -
Hijacked home page = use spyware protection - Here are some
by superman227 / June 18, 2005 10:00 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.