Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer Not Responding, Then Restarts.

by vibeman / November 19, 2008 5:02 AM PST

Windows Vista Home Premium PC. Intel CPU. 2140 @ 1.6GHZ
3 GB Ram. Intel (R) G33/G31 Express Chiport Family.

Regularly I get a message that "Internet Explorer is not responding and then it will shut down and restart on it's own".
Please assist with appreciation.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer Not Responding, Then Restarts.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer Not Responding, Then Restarts.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by mopscare42 / November 19, 2008 6:00 AM PST

I would guess you are using Internet Explorer 7.
I had that same problem and contacted Microsoft tech support. They told me that they had a problem at one time, but their updates fixed it.
It wasn't fixed.
I never could get it working right and after 3 months with the same problem of it locking up and telling me that IE is not responding and shutting down, I gave up and loaded firefox and never looked back.
It is much faster, more secure and has never crashed on me.
That maybe an option for you too.

Collapse -
Program Conflicts may cause IE to crash
by evilgrinne / November 22, 2008 1:34 AM PST
In reply to: IE7?

I had the same issue and it turned out to be a conflict between McAfee and IE. I uninstalled McAfee and replaced it with AVG. I have not had IE crash since then. While this may not be your problem, you may want to look at possible conflicts between IE and programs that you are running.

Collapse -
That's a generic error message...
by John.Wilkinson / November 19, 2008 6:59 AM PST

You can start be disabling or uninstalling all toolbars and other IE addons you may have installed, as well as running a standard malware scan just in case. However, that error message is generic, meaning it is shown for a variety of reasons, many of which may not be resolvable without reinstalling.

Collapse -
by rbsjrx / November 21, 2008 11:15 AM PST

An OK solution in two words - Mozilla Firefox.

A better solution in five words - Mozilla Firefox running under Linux.

Collapse -
IE7 freeze and restart
by digidave1991 / November 22, 2008 4:19 AM PST

22 November 2008

I don't know if your circumstances exactly mirror those I experienced, but I have struggled with something like you have described for a long while with Vista 32-bit Ultimate and IE7; it would freeze at certain cites, seemingly at random, then I had to control-alt-delete to close it and it automatically restarted. After searching the entire web and Microsoft knowledge base and contacting Microsoft support and trying almost every solution offered, all to no avail, I stumbled onto a solution that works for me.

A hint was that some web sites and some programs did not display correctly. My display card was fast and had an up-to-date driver and all the rest of my hardware and drivers seemed OK as well. So it looked like something in software was to blame. When the issue of incorrect screen display became a real functional problem in one of my new programs (Dreamweaver CS4), I contacted Adobe support who tried and couldn't solve the problem despite a 3 hour session trying every fix they suggested. On a call-back to them several hours later a new tech told me that he had seen the problem in Dreamweaver before and could resolve it. It worked, and, amazingly, solved my other display and web IE7 freeze problems as well. Here's the two part answer, and it's unbelievably simple - if this is what is causing your problems as well.

Earlier, before calling Adobe, a partial fix that worked some of the time in IE7 was, in IE7, go to Page>Text Size, and if you had Largest or Large, select Medium instead. But this was only a very, very partial fix and left the worst problems unsolved.

Adobe's solution, which seemed to solve everything else, was to right click the Desktop, left click "Personalize", and in the left-side vertical "Tasks" column, left-click "Adjust font size (DPI)", and if "Larger scale (120 DPI)" is selected, change it to "Default scale (96 DPI)" instead. Bingo, all programs display properly, web site display and frequent IE7 freezes ended. It may not work for you, if your problems arise from different issues, but it's worth looking at.

Collapse -
IE Not Responding
by michelsmith / August 3, 2011 7:39 PM PDT
In reply to: IE7 freeze and restart

This issue may be caused by some add-ons.

As a result, please reset the IE settings to disable add-ons:

1. Close any IE or Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.

2. Open a new IE window.

3. Click the Tools button, and then click Internet Options.

4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.

5. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.

6. When Internet Explorer finishes restoring the settings, click Close, and then click OK.

7. Close IE. (The changes will take effect the next time you open IE.)

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.