Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer is not responding message

by Big Steve / October 2, 2010 6:26 PM PDT

I have a 2 year old Dell Vostro 1510 laptop computer with Windows Vista Premium but for about the last month while surfing the web I'll be on a web page then suddenly at the top of the page in parentheses it will say ( Not Responding ) and the page I'm on locks up so I then go to the upper right hand corner of my monitor's screen to click on the red "X" to close the page, the page I'm on suddenly turns white.

I can still see the information under the white on my computer's screen then a box pops up asking me if I want to restart the program, close the program, I usually select restart the program, then another box pops up saying Windows is searching to correct your problem, a green bar moves across the screen then finally another box pops up and asks me if I want to go to my homepage or restart my session. I usually select restart my session which will take me back to where I was at the beginning. This is beginning to get annoying. My browser on this computer is IE8. I scan regularly with Avast AV, SuperAntiSpyware and Malware Bytes. What could be causing this to occur so much as of late?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer is not responding message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer is not responding message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Add-ons and other plugins.
by MDFlax / October 2, 2010 11:38 PM PDT

Firstly I would recommend you download and install another browser type. The system won't care which browser is used at any time, and in fact will work perfectly well with two different browsers open at the same time. Then, if anything happens to IE, you can still use the other browser.

Back to your problem, this can often be traced back to bad or corrupted Add-ons, so you can try an elimination test. In IE, goto Tools > Manage Add-ons, and work through the lists disabling then testing. it will take time, but maybe you will find the offending add-on that way.

Collapse -
Re: Add-ons and other plugins
by Big Steve / October 3, 2010 4:52 AM PDT

Another browser type such as what? My problem, could a virus have caused it? As I posted earlier I scan regularly with my security software and so far have not detected any threats.

Collapse -
Re: browsers
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 3, 2010 5:02 AM PDT

1. Another browser, like Firefox or Chrome.
2. Either it's not a virus, or your security software doesn't catch it. So first see if it's an add-on or toolbar or accellerator or whatever is active in IE besides IE itself. Mark told you how to do it. If it still happens without any add-on active, only then do we start thinking malware.

Collapse -
(NT) Re: browsers.
by Big Steve / October 3, 2010 6:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: browsers
Collapse -
Re: browsers
by Big Steve / October 3, 2010 6:14 AM PDT

OT: I'm now having to enter my email address and password everytime I sign in, I have remember my email address checked but I'm still having to manually type it and my password in. Is that something to do with your new enhanced site? Now when I sign into my bank account online I have to do that but it's my bank account, but on a discussion board?

Collapse -
Is this a different problem?
by MDFlax / October 3, 2010 9:04 PM PDT

I'm not sure why installing Firefox causes this email problem. Firefox is not an email client. or do you mean that you are accessing your emails via logging into a web page?

Why would the new CNET forums format affect your emails?

If this is a new problem it may be better to create a new discussion and give 'full' details.

Did you solve the Internet Explorer problem?

Collapse -
Re: Is this a different problem? - New!
by Big Steve / October 3, 2010 11:03 PM PDT

I haven't installed Firefox but now I'm able to login without entering my email and password each time. I haven't solved the IE problem yet, still working on it.

Collapse -
IE: If You Have Yet To Try What Mark & Kees Suggested..
by Carol~ Forum moderator 2 / October 8, 2010 7:25 AM PDT

The below Microsoft FixIt diagnostic tool will do it for you:

'Fix Internet Explorer add-on problems when IE hangs or freezes'

If you already resolved the problem .... "glad to hear it".

If you haven't resolved the problem, and failed to take their advice ... "you should". (Take their advice, that is. Happy )

Best of luck..

Collapse -
Re: IE: If You Have Yet To Try What Mark & Kees Suggested
by Big Steve / October 8, 2010 11:55 AM PDT

Please don't hit me with your ruler again, it hurts, I promise I'll be a good boy. Please don't hit me again. I'll turn in my assignment next Monday morning. I'm not going to say I've been busy because the last time I said that here some of the MODs "tarred and feathered" me pretty good then slow roasted me over an open fire pit and basted me with lots of Sweet Baby Ray's "extra spicy" barbeque sauce. Sad

Collapse -
"Busy" is ALWAYS Ok With Me. It's My Middle Name!! :)
by Carol~ Forum moderator 2 / October 9, 2010 10:47 PM PDT

Take all the time you want. Just looking to lend a helping hand, as long as I was in the area.

Due to the all the abuse you've encountered, I'm going to give you a reprieve and extend your assignment until the end of the month. Forget Monday!

Enjoy what's left of your weekend..

Collapse -
Re: "Busy" is ALWAYS Ok With Me. It's My Middle Name!! :)
by Big Steve / October 10, 2010 4:51 PM PDT

I ran your test, one item popped up: AVG Safe Search.

I then clicked "fix it" and it appears that my problem has now been fixed so the test results said. I'll let you know if my problem happens again. Isn't AVG an anti-virus software? I have Avast but not AVG unless they are the same.

My weekend could have been better, my New Orleans Saints lost to the Arizona Cardinals, the Saints played some sloppy football in Arizona yesterday.

Collapse -
by MDFlax / October 11, 2010 5:03 AM PDT

Test reply, seems to be working.

Collapse -
(NT) I See Your Test Worked.. :)
by Carol~ Forum moderator 2 / October 11, 2010 11:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Test.
Collapse -
Steve, Did You Ever Have AVG Installed?
by Carol~ Forum moderator 2 / October 11, 2010 11:45 AM PDT

Sorry for the delay. Today "Busy" was my FIRST name. Not my last. Sad

You are quite correct, in that AVG is an A/V. AVG's Safe Search is an add-on, which comes with AVG. If you never installed AVG, I can't imagine how it got there.

Stranger yet, while digging around, I found where the Safe Search seemed to be causing problems for a good deal of users. BUT .. more so with FF, than IE. As far as I know, the FixIt Solution is only suppose to disable the add-ons. Not remove them. Why not check your add-ons, to make sure it's actually installed. Too many things don't add up.

If you come to find the Microsoft tool, fixed your non-responsive IE, maybe the best thing to do is.......
look the other way! Devil

Another consideration might be, to post at CNET's AVG forum, and ask if they know how (or why) it "found a home" on your system. Very strange.

So sorry to hear about your Saints. Hopefully, they'll do better against Tampa Bay!

Collapse -
Re: Steve, Did You Ever Have AVG Installed?
by Big Steve / October 11, 2010 7:36 PM PDT

I might have installed it a few years ago but after reading many complaints about it I uninstalled it then downloaded and installed Avast 4.8 AV. Every morning when I update my Avast this pop up appears prompted me to upgrade to a paid version, I keep ignoring it. Is the free version of Avast about to expire? As for my MS non-responding problem it's back.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.