Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Internet Explorer, Help and System Restore not opening

by chateauneufdupape / July 14, 2007 9:25 PM PDT

When I try to open IE the window opens, connects and then closes again. When I try to open the "Help and Support" or ?system restore? absolutely nothing happens. I have run a virus check with AVG and it shows nothing. I have booted in safe mode but still have the same symptoms. I am running Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2 and automatic updates. I have run sfc /scannow, once this is completed, everything works fine. However, when I reboot, the problems return. All is OK until I install the latest Windows updates. I currently have 5 to install:

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB933566)
Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB929123)
Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool (KB873374)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB935839)
Security Update for Windows XP (KB935840)

If I restart the computer or shut it down without installing the updates, it reboots OK and everything works OK, so it would seem that one or more of the updates is causing the problem.

Any thoughts?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer, Help and System Restore not opening
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer, Help and System Restore not opening
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
reply to: Internet Explorer, Help and System Restore not ope
by caktus / July 15, 2007 10:15 AM PDT

Yep, sounds like one or more of the updates is/are corrupt or conflicting with the system or it's settings. I would, as you have done, delete those particular updates. Then download/install them one-by-one until the culprit is revealed, then leave the culprits off the system. And meanwhile contact MS regarding the update problem you are experiencing. At their update page, they have a link leading to a Help menu. Emailing them regarding update matters is free these days.

Also, it's not uncommon for an update here or there to cause problems. Sometimes even a security update is simply more trouble than it's worth.

Charlie

Collapse -
reply to: Internet Explorer, Help and System Restore not ope

Thanks for the reply Charlie. How do I delete the updates?

Collapse -
chateauneufdupape
by tomron / July 15, 2007 11:03 PM PDT

Go to control panel>add/remove>tick the box that says "show updates"
Tom

Collapse -
RE: How do I delete the updates?
by caktus / July 17, 2007 3:04 AM PDT

Go to Start > Control Panes > Add or Remove Programs > check the box that says "Show updates" > double click the update that you want to delete and follow the prompts to remove. It may be necessary to restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

Charlie

Collapse -
(NT) Did you check my post above :)
by tomron / July 17, 2007 3:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Updates waiting to be installed
by chateauneufdupape / July 17, 2007 6:28 AM PDT

I seem to have an uninstalled update that I can not find.

I still have 5 updates waiting to be installed which I can locate. When I click the yellow shield in the bottom corner, a Windows Automatic Update window opens. If I check Custom Install, I get a list of updates. I click next and it shows me the list of updates waiting to be installed. I then deselect all of them. When I go to Start/Turn Off Computer a window opens with the 3 normal options of Standby, Turn Off Restart. However, under Turn Off there is a message which says "Click Turn Off to install important updates and turn off your computer. Click here to turn off without installing updates".

If I use the "Click Here" option, the computer switches off and reboots OK and everything works fine. If I deselect the 5 updates from Custom Install and then use "Turn Off" when I reboot, I then can not access IE, Help Ststem Restore. How do I remove this unknown update that is waiting to install itself?

Collapse -
can not access Ststem Restore
by caktus / July 17, 2007 7:00 AM PDT

Here is another way to open System Restore. If it opens System Restore, try restoreing the computer to a date/time prior to when you first tried to perform the updates.

Go to Start > Run > type or copy and paste
"%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe" exactly as it is here, but with out the quotes.
When you are finished typing press OK.

Post back the results.

Collapse -
can not access system restore
by chateauneufdupape / July 17, 2007 8:12 AM PDT

I have tried using "%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe" but nothing happens at all. The problem seems to be centred around update KB933566. This already appeared to be installed on my computer when I looked at add / remove programmes. At this stage tonight, my computer was working fine. I then installed the updates one by one and rebooted via Turn Off. After the last update and reboot, the computer was fine. Shortly afterwards, new updates were advised. This new update was KB933566. Although this already appeared to be installed, I created a System Restore Point and I installed it again. After rebooting, the problems returned and updates was advising me that an update (KB933566) was ready to be installed again. I tried the "%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe" but it did not work. I am now running sfc /scannow, so will not be able to go further tonight as this takes quite sometime. Once restored, I will go back to my restore point. Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

Collapse -
chateauneufdupape
by tomron / July 17, 2007 8:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
chateauneufdupape
by tomron / July 17, 2007 7:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
RE: turned off....
by caktus / July 17, 2007 12:32 PM PDT
In reply to: chateauneufdupape

for me too seems the best way to go. Then every week or so I manually run Windows Update. Then I always choose Custom install so I can pick and choose from all the updates instead of just the Critical. I'm not sure about the Express, but with Custom I get an option to hide the one's I never want to see again. And some I don't even want installed, most recently WMP 11 and IE7. Some updates it seems are really for the vendors convenience, rather than mine.

Collapse -
Have you seen this
by tomron / July 17, 2007 1:21 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: turned off....

A couple days I checked out windows update site and I no longer have the option for custom updates.

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/3028/wuml2.jpg

If I click on it they will shove IE7 down my throat.Do you see the same when you go to their site?

Tom

Collapse -
Windows updates
by chateauneufdupape / July 18, 2007 6:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Have you seen this

I installed the updates 1 by 1 and narrowed the problem down to Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB933566). This already appeared to be installed when I checked Add / Remove programmes. I have done a search on this update and it seems to be causing a lot of problems and others have picked up on the duplication. I have done a system restore and will just skip this update.

Thanks for your replies.

Collapse -
chateauneufdupape
by tomron / July 18, 2007 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows updates

You could remove Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB933566) and try a reinstall since maybe it was corrupt,LINK.

If you do remove it I would use CCLEANER SLIM BUILD

Use the issues button,then the cleaner button,then reinstall

Tom

Collapse -
reply to: Have you seen this
by caktus / July 18, 2007 6:55 AM PDT

Yes. I get that page on occasion. But clicking on the "Update Windows" button never tries to push IE7 on me. It [seems] to download or update something to do with being able to update faster, or something. I think. Following that I get the page with Express/Custom, etc. I would definitely contact MS from their "Get Help and Support" link at the Update site.

I don't remember what problems I was experiencing with IE7. But I plan on waiting plenty long enough for bugs or what ever to be worked out before trying it again.

Carlie

Collapse -
Charlie
by tomron / July 18, 2007 7:06 AM PDT

I was certainly reluctant to try.I just tried and said it was loading files and such then it went to the options for express or custom.

I opened again and it said I needed active x,installed it and everything seems ok,I thought active x was already installed,maybe its an update.

Thanx,
Tom

Collapse -
(NT) It apparently updates often.
by caktus / July 18, 2007 8:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Charlie
Collapse -
What??
by pcwiz100 / July 20, 2007 5:07 AM PDT

Tom,

I have had the same thing happen before. You click Update Windows and then it updates the Windows Update software (When I did it, it didn't force IE7 down my throat). Then once that update is complete it takes you to the page where you have the Express and Custom update options.

Collapse -
pcwiz100
by tomron / July 20, 2007 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: What??

Its new to me,thats why I was reluctant to try it.Charlie said he tried it with no problems,I tried it with no problems as well.

Tom

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.