Windows 7 forum

Internet explorer has stopped working...

by alwaysonline2008 / June 22, 2012 11:19 AM PDT

anyone there know the fix/cause for the error...

Internet explorer has stopped working, Internet explorer is restarting.

windows explorer has stopped working, windows explorer is restarting.

I have emailed Microsoft 3 times and they have given me MANY things to try but I am a computer tech, so I had already tried them all.

It is all over the internet so my computer details should not matter.

It is ALL over the Internet about this problem and no one seems to know the answer.

Of course, you can format but that is not a "fix" for it or how to stop it from happening.

Any ideas??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet explorer has stopped working...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet explorer has stopped working...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
64-bit Win 7 OS, 32-bit IE8 (or 9) not working.
by scott_urfer / June 25, 2012 1:48 AM PDT

I've read all the blogs, seems I'm not the only one running a 64-bit windows 7 with a 32 bit Internet Explorer problem.
I've reset, disabled all add-ons, opened as administrator, opened under tools without any accelerators or add-ons.
Unintalled ie9, for ie8, still same problem. Internet explorer freezed.
Still the "default" 32-bit IE isn't working...just locks up everytime. The 64 bit browser works...but the "default" for links is to open the 32-bit browser. I've had to install Google Chrome to have a default 32 bit browser that works.
I've even wiped the computer; twice now.
When I do a clean install of windows....the 32-bit version of IE works....until all the updates are loaded.
Now (twice) IE isn't working again...which of the 150 updates is it? Wow.

Collapse -
No problem here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2012 3:08 AM PDT

But there are TOXIC COMBOS folk have encountered. I can't guess which you found. My favorite was the effect of some versions of Spybot+TeaTimer. Users tend to explode over this and point the finger at MSFT too fast.

Collapse -
by peterracer / June 26, 2012 10:30 AM PDT

The problem is with update KB2699988, Security update Exployer 9 for windows 7 for x64. Remove it and your default IE x32 will work. Of course MS will not agree, they would never send a bad update..............

Collapse -
removing update
by nagyshouse / December 6, 2012 12:56 PM PST
In reply to: Updates

So how do I remove that update?

Collapse -
Control Panel-Programs & Features-View Installed Updates...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 10, 2012 11:03 AM PST
In reply to: removing update

Find the update in question, highlight it, then select Uninstall.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by sandiasparks / November 4, 2012 8:35 PM PST

I have had to install google chrome and also firefox just in case. I have tried everything and nothing has worked to get internet explorer to work.
I have to manually install my mouse every time I log on to my laptop otherwise it will not scroll and this is so frustrating.

Collapse -
I can't find details about said mouse.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2012 8:39 PM PST
In reply to: ditto

If Logitech's Mouseware is not running at log on, why not put that in your startup group?

All Answers

Collapse -
Sure. Just the one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2012 1:05 PM PDT

Or two.

1. IE usually bombs for a few reasons. a) Addins. b) the old javascript bombs.

2. Explorer bombs for a few reasons. My favorite is what happens when Explorer tries to make a thumbnail of a video or image file. Why is that my favorite? Microsoft disavows that it's their problem, issues no fix and more. It's a well discussed issue and you can turn off thumbnails as a workaround.

Collapse -
IE stopped working (32 bit)
by peterracer / June 25, 2012 9:36 AM PDT

Same thing happened to me. June 13 after HP and MS updates, my default IE will not work. After 4hrs with HP and 2 hrs with MS, and all the resets and crap, no one can find the problem? I had to go back in time (June 12), to reset to that date to fix. Also I tured off my auto updates, only to notify me. I'm going to start downloading 1 at a time to see which one is causing this issue. ............I will one day buy a Mac because nobody has issues with there computers!!!

Collapse -
IE Stpped working
by peterracer / June 26, 2012 10:28 AM PDT

I've had the same problem, after my updates came through. IE(64) bit is the only one that works (32bit is default, that did not work) After hours with HP, and MS, nobody can find the problem. I found the problem; it is the update coded KB 2699988 (Cumulative Security Update Exployer 9 for Windows 7 for x64). When I installed software from an earlyer date, then I installed 1 update at a time, reboot, then try the IE, that was the one that would not let the 32bit IE to work. I called MS, of coarse they played stupid!
Good Luck!

Collapse -
by scott_urfer / June 26, 2012 1:53 PM PDT
In reply to: IE Stpped working

Thank you. Yep, it solved my problem (although I also had to also uninstall IE9 and go back to 8, but the 32-bit is working again. Much appreciated.

Collapse -
diffrent kb number
by jaybo272 / March 13, 2013 9:56 AM PDT
In reply to: IE Stpped working

I found that same update with kb2809289

Collapse -
There are fix tools to possibly fix these problems
by Mrjoh12 / November 7, 2012 7:34 PM PST

If you go to and type in the search bar fix it . this will give you a number of results and look for the link which mentions fix it center tools.
of course you will another web browser or another computer.

Collapse -
am getting every day many times ,internet explorer has stopp
by einkorn / September 8, 2013 6:49 AM PDT

am getting every day many times ,internet explorer has stopped working needs to be closed ,now can no longer attach to my email as it just pop up the same massage ,internet explorer has stopped working needs to be closed ,internet explorer has stopped working needs to be closed ,also whenever al copy paste am getting pasted duplicate of what had copied "have IE9 window 7 32 bit already reset internet explorer but nothing changed

Collapse -
This old thread is closing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2013 6:52 AM PDT

It's been over a year and if the ideas so far don't help, you need to start your own new discussion with what you tried so far.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.