Computer Help forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

by Addingle / November 13, 2006 7:35 AM PST

This is the message I get when I try to go to drudgereport, sitemeter, and a few others. As well, sometimes photos will not appear in blogs/posts. I am using IE7 and Firefox, with the problem occurring on both sides. I have a Dell Inspiron 9100, cable modem, Linksys wireless router and card. Other laptops and desktops in my house do not have this problem (at least to this extent). I use AVG anti-virus, up to date, and scan with Ewido weekly to remove spyware. I formerly used McAfee for protection, but did not like it. Using Windows XP (home. I have tried to tinker with security settings, reset both modem and router multiple times, cleaned TIF cache and history. I am not an expert, and am getting a little frustrated that I cannot access common, popular sites from this laptop. OH, I also had a very hard time getting this laptop to download IE7, while other machines did it very easily. Can anybody help?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A Suggestion...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 14, 2006 1:51 AM PST

Please download and install the most recent Java and Windows Script Engine using the instructions below:

Click on the link to Sun's Java below, then click on the "Download" button next to "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 9". At the next page, accept/agree to the license, then download the full ''Windows Offline Installation'' file to your desktop,(about 15 MB), scan it with your antivirus (just to be sure it's clean). Once that's done, if you've already got a Sun Java version on the computer, open the Control Panel, double click on the ''Add/Remove Programs'' section, then uninstall all previous version of the J2SE Java listed there. Once that's done, then install Java 1.5 from the downloaded installer.

After that, download and install the most recent Windows Script Engine from the link below:

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows XP and Windows 2000

Of course, if none of this helps, you might consider uninstalling IE7.. There are quite a few folks having problems with it... It has a few bugs that need to be worked out.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
IE settings
by Seaspray0 / November 14, 2006 6:16 AM PST

IE security settings may be different on this computer. tools>internet options>security tab. You will see 4 zones. Click on the internet zone and then the custom level button. You will see what IE is allowing and not allowing. Compare these settings against another computer.

Collapse -
IE7 Message: Internet Explorer cannot dispaly this webpage
by TE7 / November 16, 2006 12:41 AM PST
In reply to: IE settings

I had the same problem, but also in my MSN Explorer for my MSN dial-up account. On whitespaces and where pictures should be I would get the message : This page cannot be displayed. I uninstalled IE7 and everything is working fine now. I tried adjusting the security setting to Medium but no help. I might try to re-install IE7 later to see if it will work then. By the way, when you uninstall IE7 through the Control Panel, IE6 is restored automatically (Start Menu). Good luck.

Collapse -
by Addingle / November 16, 2006 8:00 AM PST

I have downloaded the new Java update. I have compared security settings with another desktop running IE7 that does not have the problem, and can find no diference in settings. I am stumped.

Collapse -
"The page cannot be displayed"
by Cursorcowboy / November 16, 2006 9:21 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

For a list of articles to browse through, click the following link. Please note, this list was generated simply by searching the Microsoft Knowledge Base with the parameter "the page cannot be displayed" only.

Note: Clicking this link opens the linked-site in a separate window for your convenience, and once open any item of interest should be opened in a separate window for viewing/reading. Scroll down to "More Support & Troubleshooting results" and click to display all the articles. After finishing, simply close that window and you'll pop right back to the main list which requires no refresh -- regenerating a window which has been written over and progressed back to can be time consuming as you may well know.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.