Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox (Not Responding)

by bilalarabaci / June 30, 2010 3:58 AM PDT

Hello everyone,

I have just installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit.
I have the problem is Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox (Not Responding).
I turn on my computer and I am using it without a problem until I try to surf the internet. I open Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox, I try to open a webpage for example, YouTube.com, Facebook.com, mail.yahoo.com etc. As soon as I type the webpage name and push enter button Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox gets stucks then it says Not Responding.
I installed Kaspersky PURE and it's up to date. I scanned the computer there is no trojans, virueses etc.
Before Windows 7 I had Win Vista Home and currently I was having the same problem.

Does anyone know why I'm having this problem? How can I resolve it?

Many Thanks Already.
Bilal

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox (Not Responding)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox (Not Responding)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
?
by gargamel360 / June 30, 2010 4:27 AM PDT

Does the browser not display any content at all, but other things can access online? Or only certain pages, not others? Or are you completely blocked from internet?

Blocking access to the internet is usually the action of a firewall. Browsers need to get out port 80, typically.

It could be your software firewall, if you have one installed or enabled outgoing protection of Windows firewall. Could also be something with your router, if you have one.

Unfamiliar with Kaspersky PURE, but it looks from their website that it can also restrict internet access.

Collapse -
Call your ISP.
by bob b / June 30, 2010 6:07 AM PDT

Those folks deal with this type of problem daily.

They have a script they read from that will guide you in how to....

ping.
setup an internet connection.
use ipconfig.
more.

Collapse -
IE & Firefox not responding
by 565-rhmercer / July 2, 2010 4:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Call your ISP.

I do not think the ISP can cure this. It seems to be an inherent problem with Windows 7. I am using Windows 7 Professional 32 bit and in my case it is Firefox and Windows Explorer that stop responding. In some cases either or both of these will stop responding, shut down, restart and immediately stop responding in a loop! Restarting usually cures the problem. I have searched the MS site with little or no luck... there is seemingly no cure promulgated.
I have Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit installed on another computer and so far.....no problems.
Recently I had need to carry out a complete re-install of the Windows 7 Pro OS and guess what? I still have the same problem!

Collapse -
IE & Firefox not responding.
by 565-rhmercer / July 2, 2010 4:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Call your ISP.

I do not think the ISP can cure this. It seems to be an inherent problem with the higher versions of Windows 7. I am using Windows 7 Professional 32 bit and in my case it is Firefox and Windows Explorer that stop responding. In some cases either or both of these will stop responding, shut down, restart and immediately stop responding in a loop! Restarting usually cures the problem. I have searched the MS site with little or no luck... there is seemingly no cure promulgated.
I have Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit installed on another computer and so far.....no problems.
Recently I had need to carry out a complete re-install of the Windows 7 Pro OS and guess what? I still have the same problem!

Collapse -
IE & Firefox Not Responding
by dan_airo / July 2, 2010 5:13 PM PDT

Just click Ctrl + Alt + Delete and in Applications select IE or Firefox and click 'End Task' then restart again your browser. This "Not Responding" thing usually happens whenever the page is loading slow and you click anything inside the window, it's just like you interrupted the loading process that's why it stops or hangs. Try to update Silverlight (IE only) and Flash Player this might help in fast opening of your browsers.

Collapse -
by 565-rhmercer / July 2, 2010 7:31 PM PDT

What you say may be true but in my case it does not fit the profile. In the first instance the fact that it goes into a non-stop loop occurs when pages have actually finished loading. I may just be browsing a site without changing anything, or merely studying something on my computer and these programmes will stop responding. Really, nothing to do with loading at all.
Of course, this problem can be overcome with the use of the Task Manager but it is not a "cure" for the inherent problem.

Collapse -
by dan_airo / July 2, 2010 8:51 PM PDT

Try using CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner , it's a free utility for cleaning internet clutters. Also included there are Registry Scanner & in the Tools Tab you can check your Starup entries, if there are updates & scheduled processes you can delete or disable it.

Usually I don't have problem like that in Mozilla Firefox, so if the problem persist after using CCleaner try any or both of this for Internet Explorer only:
1. Go to Internet Options > Advance Tab > click Reset.
2. Start Internet Explorer in "No Add-ons" mode.
To start Internet Explorer in "No Add-ons" mode, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons). To continue to your home page, click the Home button.

If the problem was fixed using this method, use Manage Add-ons in IE to determine which add-ons are causing the problem

Hope it will help.

Collapse -
by 565-rhmercer / July 3, 2010 3:35 PM PDT

Well, Dan I have tried ccleaner in the past but it did not seem to do too much. Also as you can see from my prior posts I have trouble with Windows Explorer, not IE; since that is a programme I do not use. The problem with WE is that when it shuts down so do programmes that depend upon it [most?] and that is a pain.

Collapse -
Windows Explorer Problem
by dan_airo / July 3, 2010 4:08 PM PDT

1. I had also experienced that and mostly it was cause by hardware specifically removable media (in my case). Try troubleshooting your PC by disconnecting or disabling your hardwares; like printer, multimedia card reader, external HDD & webcam. If one of this is causing the problem look for the latest driver for this.

2. Another cause is software incompatibility. If you have any program that is not fully compatible with Windows 7, run the Windows 7 compatibilty wizard and follow suggested compatible OS.

3. Try to log-on in Safe Mode and if WE is working good, probably there is driver problems in your PC and you have to try a "clean boot". Follow this troubleshooting guide from Microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Hope you fix your problem.

Collapse -
Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox (Not Responding)
by bilalarabaci / September 15, 2010 9:34 PM PDT

I am back guys. Sorry being late.

I have been using ADSL since 2004. I started with 256Kbps then moved 512Kbps and now 2048Kbps.
I have been playin Call of Duty 2 Multiplayer and my "ping" was always good (around 10-20). Last a few months, my "ping" has been unsteady it goes to 60.
I changed my modem (Tp-Link TD-W8901G) and splitter, but I am still having the problems.
When I download something, internet speed (210KB) seems okay and there is no disconnetion.

Collapse -
Do any web sites work?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 16, 2010 5:12 AM PDT

What does that 'splitter' do?

If neither IE nor Firefox connect to any web sites, try this.

Open IE. Goto Tools > Internet Options. Click the "Connections" tab then the "LAN settings" button. if there are any entries in the new window, remove them all. Click Ok/Apply/OK, close down IE then test again.

That section is for Proxy servers and most internet users do not use a proxy server. If a proxy server has been set, then that may be preventing both browsers from connecting to the internet.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.